How do you feel sitting next to a stranger on a ride?

I have no problem riding with strangers. We've even coordinated our "picture pose" a few times on Test Track with the extra two people! The only times I am not happy are when the CM's try to cram in too many people- happened a few times on the Great Movie Ride. I've never had someone join us in a dark ride like Haunted Mansion.

I'm usually fine riding with a stranger on a roller coaster or the like. Sometimes it's silent, sometimes there's a few nice mini chats.

A couple weeks ago though, I was a single rider on Rock 'N Roller Coaster, and there was a family of three. They were very upset that I was added to their group. And AS I WAS SITTING THERE, they were talking about "oh, well, he won't ruin our family photo, we'll photoshop him out."

Gee thanks. I was so tempted to be obscene in the photo but wasn't.

I'm sorry, that's hilarious. Good thing there's editing software to erase the leper. :rolleyes:

I am a little anxious about my upcoming trip with DH and DD because I have a feeling I'll be the awkward leftover most frequently. I also apparently have one of those "tell me your most intimate secrets" faces which always makes for a good time. But I like people more than DH so that'll be my burden to carry.

Since we are a family of three, I often ride with a stranger. For the most part, I don't mind but it is a little awkward for me because I'm really shy. I will say Hi and sometimes something else, depending on who it is.

One time when my family got on EE, the stranger who was to sit with me hesitantly asked if I would be ok on the ride. o_O I really wish I had a quick wit because I can now think of some really funny things to say.:rotfl2:I just told him, yes, I have been on EE a dozen or more times. I guess it was my age that worried him....I am guessing I was 20 years older, he wasn't real young himself.

One time on BTMR, DD and DH got in seat in front of me, I got in seat behind, then two other adults tried to climb in with me. :scared1: That would have made for a cozy ride. They didn't seem to speak English but I somehow got thru to them that they are on next train. :rotfl2:

I've done it before at Cedar Point and other parks. Usually I don't mind. At the worst it's a little awkward, and at best you get a funny story.

When we went to Blizzard Beach as a family 10 years ago (I would have been like 12) my dad, brother and I got in the single rider line for the chair lift. I ended up next to an Australian fellow in a speedo-style bathing suit. It was a little uncomfortable with our thighs touching. . . Then he said something very funny about Summit Plummet. He said, "On that one, make sure to hang on to your bathing costume." I laughed about that for a long time. And he was right. You really do need to hang on to your "bathing costume."

i don't like it on rides that throw me into the person next to me...
i have no interest in that much body contact with a stranger..

DD, DS and DDIL went on 7 dwarves in august - DSIL wasn't feeling well so he stayed in the hotel and DD assumed she would be riding alone...
but no, they put a stranger with her - a man..
both of them felt very uncomfortable being stuck together as there was no way to not touch each other...

i don't understand how in a country that is so freaked out over every little supposedly sexual thing that happens, yet is ok with a strange man sitting with a woman with their bodies completely smashed up against each other...
really weird to me..

and add to that, this was august....95 degrees....100% humidity.....people covered with a sheen of sweat...

i don't even want to be flush up against DH in that scenario...

so basically i guess i'm saying any roller coaster would be a big no for me..

Last edited:
More than half of the time, there is two of us. So we sit together.

When our son joins us, he is an adult and doesn't come on every trip, one of us has to ride alone. No big deal.

But like others, it does upset me when they try to squeeze more people in than can fit. Yes, we are a group of 3, parents and their child. But that child is bigger than either of us. So it is three adults, the kid can't just squeeze in.

This past Disney trip before I had to cut it short because of the Hurricane but I swear some people either don't have emotions or they get upset because they don't want to sit next a stranger during a 1 or 2 minute ride. For example the Rock'n Roller Coaster very popular attraction and my favorite with Dinosaur coming in 2nd, You're supposed to have a good time on those rides and not worry about the person next to you. It's the whole point of a single rider line and they will not sit you by yourself even if you asked because the popularity of the attraction not even slow days or 20 minute waits. Loosen up a bit and show that you actually came to have fun and not emotionless human being. :jumping1:

Doesn't bother me one bit! Dh & I have deliberately split up on some rides, especially the lifts at the water parks. Have enjoyed some nice conversations!

So I'm not going to lie it's not my favorite but that's just because I'm a family of 5 so on something like test Track when we get the picture it's our family with one stranger when sometimes I wish we could get a family ride picture. With that said I understand it from an efficiency perspective.
I am not a fan of single rider for the Blizzard Beach chair lift though. I kinda feel that when you have less clothes on it's a little more intimate. Lol

I am not a fan of single rider for the Blizzard Beach chair lift though. I kinda feel that when you have less clothes on it's a little more intimate. Lol

Just don't get in the single rider line then! It's not mandatory to go in that line, just what's it's intended for - single riders to double up!!

O.k. I did think of times when I don't like riding with strangers. Rides like tea cups or at other parks Tilt-a world. Although I'm not that heavy I hate feeling like I could squash the other person on these types of rides.

So, on our last day, I rode 7DMT alone. A group of one. On my own.

I was matched with a group of two, one adult and two children. It was easy to tell that the child riding with me was nervous about riding with someone that she didn't know. The mom seemed okay with it. And tried to be encouraging.

We did okay, the young lady seemed to enjoy the ride. And the mom thanked me when we got off.

Well, considering I go to sit-down restaurants, movies, and concerts alone, I'm pretty okay with it. I mean, I suppose doing things alone and sitting next to strangers isn't necessarily the same thing, but with concerts (and sometimes movies) it is, so... yeah. lol

I don't have a problem sitting next to strangers on a ride, but one time weirded me out at Six Flags Fiesta Texas. On the Poltergeist roller coaster, the guy next to me put his head on my shoulders all throughout the ride. All I could think of was "this is getting too close for comfort" and "LICE!!!" :)

I really can't imagine someone being upset or visibly upset because they have to sit with someone else. I feel like those people would complain about just about everything in Disney.

I really can't imagine someone being upset or visibly upset because they have to sit with someone else. I feel like those people would complain about just about everything in Disney.
Sorry, but for me it really depends on who it is and where it is.

I have no problem sitting with a child or small person on 7DMT. But put me with an unknown large person? Nope. I will complain. I do not plan on being squished up against someone I don't know. That will totally ruin the ride for me.

And before people assume I am some terrible anti-fat person. I'm not. I'm fat. And two fat people in that seat, they will get pretty familiar.

We have to allow for people's differences in comfort levels when strangers are a little too close to them. I know I do NOT like it when I have to touch legs with a stranger on a ride, others take it all in their stride. I do not get in the single rider lines when on my own, but when there are 3 of us, one of us ends up paired with a single rider so we take turns.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!