How do you get a campsite?

Texas Twin Sis

Earning My Ears
We have tried to secure a campsite for RV and tent in the past and can never seem to get one. Is there a secret? Do RV companies that set up rentals at Fort Wilderness have standing reservations or what? Can the common everyday person get a spot? Help

Limited sites and huge demand. When are you trying to book your trip?

In most cases you reserve the site, then rent the camper to go on the site.

In most cases you have to reserve well in advance, like 9 months + depending on when you want to go. Some times of the year its necessary to book 500 days in advance.

I'd say start looking at the 400+ day to 1 year mark. I know that's pretty far off and not everyone (us included) can guarantee that they'll get those days off, but with the competition for sites coupled with the increase in regular season pricing, the less prime times are harder then ever to get.

I've gotten one Christmas/New Years time in the last 10+ years--and only because I reserved around 450 days out and got really, really lucky. I made reservations for our May/June trip not that much later, and by the time i double checked availability, the campground was fully booked.

As far as I'm aware no rental agencies have standing reservations--never heard of it, but that doesn't mean it's impossible. I just don't think Disney would put up with that as one can only stay on site (without moving) for a limited amount of time.

As stated above you have to book months or even a year or more in advance especially if you are planning going around any Holiday. The Fort is so popular that you can no longer book weeks or even a few months in advance. My suggestion to you is keep trying every day as sometimes sites do open up. I don't think any of the RV rental companies actually book your site for you that is something you would have to do yourself and then book the campground so I think what you asked about them is highly unlikely.

You have to make a phone call to Disney reservations over a year in advance. You can’t really do it online.

Our last trip, DW called and was told there were no sites for our dates. I went online and saw that each day was available, so we called back and explained that. Then they booked the full stay.

I’m pretty sure they see the same availability that you can see online.

I meant you can't book online over a year out. After that, if availability opens up online, then obviously you can. We called in early March 2019 for a late March 2020 trip, and dates for 2020 didn't come out online until June. That's what I meant. I'm sure when people cancel, the availability appears online and maybe in your case reservations didn't see that.

You have to make a phone call to Disney reservations over a year in advance. You can’t really do it online.

Well, not really.

The rates for the next year are usually set in June. So in June 2019, they announced the rates for Jan-Dec 2020. And that day, once announced, you could go on-line and book well past June 2020 back 500 days from your ARRIVAL date (a change for 2020 booking).

The example of March above is true but it's not because it was a year out - it's because in March the next year's rates are not known yet. Disney will take a phone reservation in that case at the old rates and update the reservation to new rates once announced. But the on-line booking system only will allow bookings out 500 days in advance (by definition in the next year) once the next year's rates are announced.

Bama Ed

Please keep this on the specified topic.

Keep trying, sometimes it takes a lot of calling and checking online.

From my experience, the system sometimes won't find a short reservation (i.e. 2 or 3 nights) but will find a long reservation (1+ weeks) over the same dates. In the past, I've booked 1 week to get a reservation and then modified the reservation to shorten our stay on the very same day.

Last edited:
We booked 2 or 3 days in advance but that reservation only went through because it's August, and from all accounts there's lower population at WDW then. Our reservation was made on the Disney site, it was 86$ per night before tax, we added on an additional day on the phone as we loved it so much.

We full time RV and brought our own rig. The sites were spacious, with a picnic table, full hookups, lots of trees and foliage, and comfortable in every way! It was honestly hard to leave! :oops: Fort Wilderness was perfect for us and I really hope you get to go and experience it!

Last edited:
We booked 2 or 3 days in advance but that reservation only went through because it's August, and from all accounts there's lower population at WDW then. Our reservation was made on the Disney site, it was 86$ per night before tax, we added on an additional day on the phone as we loved it so much.

We full time RV and brought our own rig. The sites were spacious, with a picnic table, full hookups, lots of trees and foliage, and comfortable in every way! It was honestly hard to leave! :oops: Fort Wilderness was perfect for us and I really hope you get to go and experience it!

This certainly can happen, especially at that time of year, but also due to people cancelling before the penalty period starts which typically means your chances will increase the closer to your arrival date.

We were a throw away room family, i got griped out by a lady there, told me i and people like me are the reason she cant get a campsite and when she did she has to leave one day in the middle of her trip cause she could not get a full week. I really felt bad cause we were not using the spot. We did not do it last year.

If only you knew how much trouble I have gotten into over the years here on the Dis because of this subject. If you sincerely felt bad, I can accept that. Hate you did it, but maybe realizing how it affected others will encourage you to refrain from it in the future. Best this subject be let go, if I can do it, anybody can.

Back on topic please.

Last edited:

If only you knew how much trouble I have gotten into over the years here on the Dis because of this subject. If you sincerely felt bad, I can accept that. Hate you did it, but maybe realizing how it affected others will encourage you to refrain from it in the past. Best this subject be let go, if I can do it, anybody can.

Back on topic please.
Get a rope... jk

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!