How do you get a campsite?

If only you knew how much trouble I have gotten into over the years here on the Dis because of this subject. If you sincerely felt bad, I can accept that. Hate you did it, but maybe realizing how it affected others will encourage you to refrain from it in the past. Best this subject be let go, if I can do it, anybody can.

Back on topic please.
Beware the Dark Side Young Jedi

There are some groups on a social media website that are run by travel agents that specialize in Fort Wilderness reservations. They seem to be able to work miracles in obtaining reservations during apparent "sold out" timeframes. I'm not sure how they do it for tons of people when i can't get one single spot.

when I checked for the day I was missing today, it was available. unfortunately, by the time we called it was no longer available. Lesson learned, booking online as soon as I see it again. The available spot was premium instead of preferred, but I figured at this point I'm moving a camper one way or another, so I'd rather do it within the fort than to another campground.

One learning is that the available spot continued to show up for the next hour, so I needed to go clear out my internet history. What I don't know is if that's caused me to miss other available spots along the way.

I am curious to know what time the OP was trying for.

October? (soon)

October next year? (over a year out)

When?

That would really help us to know what guidance to give.

Bama Ed

Agreed. Without knowing their details, it's hard to know what they faced. There are definitely seasonal differences in availability that go well beyond the traditional holiday peaks.

I've now fallen into the, 'If you might go, book it!' category. The small, fully-refundable, deposit on a room only reservation makes it relatively easy to hold your spot in anticipation of a likely stay. The moment we decided to come down this past summer, I booked a site. In the end, we used our DVC points and cancelled the Fort, but I knew I had it just in case. If you have to cancel, cancel, but it's a lot easier to adjust by a day or two when things become clear than it is to try to cobble a stay together later on.

Well, not really.

The rates for the next year are usually set in June. So in June 2019, they announced the rates for Jan-Dec 2020. And that day, once announced, you could go on-line and book well past June 2020 back 500 days from your ARRIVAL date (a change for 2020 booking).

The example of March above is true but it's not because it was a year out - it's because in March the next year's rates are not known yet. Disney will take a phone reservation in that case at the old rates and update the reservation to new rates once announced. But the on-line booking system only will allow bookings out 500 days in advance (by definition in the next year) once the next year's rates are announced.

Bama Ed
Yes ,I think this is what was happening with me ,this Year !

Agreed. Without knowing their details, it's hard to know what they faced. There are definitely seasonal differences in availability that go well beyond the traditional holiday peaks.

I've now fallen into the, 'If you might go, book it!' category. The small, fully-refundable, deposit on a room only reservation makes it relatively easy to hold your spot in anticipation of a likely stay. The moment we decided to come down this past summer, I booked a site. In the end, we used our DVC points and cancelled the Fort, but I knew I had it just in case. If you have to cancel, cancel, but it's a lot easier to adjust by a day or two when things become clear than it is to try to cobble a stay together later on.
After really struggling with my reservation this year I strongly agree !

Don't give up. I've been trying for October and just kept checking. The weekend of October 18-20 just popped up for me and I grabbed it. A Premium site too!

It took a few months...but I have finally gotten one of the 2 nights I needed. First it was a pop up site. Now I’ve gotten it to premium. I actually want preferred. That’s for our last day in the parks.

I’m booked at lake Louise prior to our first park day, which I was good with until I learned we have an 8AM breakfast booked that day. That’s the day after thanksgiving, so I’ll keep trying but I have a feeling it would take an incredible stroke of luck to get that one.

Pure dumb luck!!!
Was reading thru some posts earlier and decided to check online ressies.
It was there, the early November week in a prefered loop. Meaning this November.
Hit purchase as fast as I could. Now just have to cancel a reservation out side FW.
Cleaned the horse's stall for my daughter today, maybe just maybe.

Still trying for December 5-8 2019...just left the fort this past week. Plenty of empty sites when we left on Thursday. I went to the front desk and was told perhaps when we checkin on December 3, the sites may be available. We are booked Dec 3-5 and Dec 8-14...how did I ever miss the middle I will never know. But now I am paying for it. I have called numerous Disney agents and I'm on the phone promptly at 7am with Disney reservations. I found a pop-up site for Dec 7-8, but we have a 36' MH. Anyone with any secrets would truly help a girl out...especially because December 7 is my birthday!!!!! Thanks for any input!

Still trying for December 5-8 2019...just left the fort this past week. Plenty of empty sites when we left on Thursday. I went to the front desk and was told perhaps when we checkin on December 3, the sites may be available. We are booked Dec 3-5 and Dec 8-14...how did I ever miss the middle I will never know. But now I am paying for it. I have called numerous Disney agents and I'm on the phone promptly at 7am with Disney reservations. I found a pop-up site for Dec 7-8, but we have a 36' MH. Anyone with any secrets would truly help a girl out...especially because December 7 is my birthday!!!!! Thanks for any input!

Sounds like you are doing what you can be doing. Continue to look not only for 5-8, but single nights in-between that could be strung together at a later date.

In the meantime, if you haven't already, make sure you book somewhere nearby for the gap so that you don't get caught with no back-up plan.

Good luck!

I booked a tent site back in February for a stay on December 1st to 4th. I booked it to see SWGE when the opening date was just “end of 2019.”

I tried to shift the booking now that Rise Of The Resistance opens on December 5th. I was surprised to see the campground completely sold out. I wound up cancelling my stay since I saw SWGE when it opened early.

The funny part, I apparently booked a huge RV site by accident. If I went ahead with the trip, I’d have a tiny, solo, 1-person tent on a lot meant for a massive 30 foot RV. Reading stories above about disposable bookings. I wonder if someone would have been angry that I took up an RV spot for a tent. LOL 😂

I've never found it difficult for a campsite. We currently have 3 different reservations, a week in December, a week in March, and a week in September. I guess were just lucky, when we want to go they have openings.... I never try over Holidays

I'm going to be cancelling President's Day week 2020 soon, if anyone is interested we can try and coordinate. Reservation is 2/16-2/22/2020. It was booked as a Premium at the time, before the Meadows category existed. I'll check this thread before I do.

We booked 466 days out for Christmas 2020 and the CM originally told me we could on have 3 nights in one site and would have to move to another. I explained we were renting a trailer and that would not work, she went to work and after some time she finally got us a site for 6 night (thanks to a dedicated CM), in short call Disney direct to book your sites. :cool1:

We have just purchased an RV and had hoped to stay at the campground for our annual holiday trip to Disney, I had no clue how fast the sites go. I am looking for a campsite for December 19, 2019 - January 4, 2020, I will need at least a full hook up site if anyone has any of these dates and decide to cancel please let me know I will happily take the site. I would also like to book for December 17, 2020 - January 2, 2021 those dates are not available either. If you have any advise please share. Thank you in advance for any help anyone can offer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!