How do you justify the cost..

I run into friends that don't have the funds or time. Family works for the schools so they can only go in peak times. I don't have a spouse or kids (but sounds like this is not something they are interested in). I had a health scare 5 years ago and I had been waiting for a number of trips until someone could go with me. No more! I've been to WDW, Vegas, Paris . . . my family didn't want to get left behind by the time I went to Italy and they realized I was serious that I wasn't waiting on them any more. Life is too short!

You should do all the trips you want and not have to justify them to anyone. It's your time and money, enjoy.

Life is too short ....travel on:banana:

Last edited:
It is an expensive trip to take, there is no way around that. But you're worth it, that's the only justification you need. And when you say you don't contribute any money to the household, yes you do. By being a stay at home mom you have saved childcare costs over the years. By homeschooling your kids you have saved all the extra fees and all the other money that schools seem to need today because the funding has changed since we went to school. And you have helped to raise two future productive members of society. So if you would like one 4 day trip to Disney World by yourself, you're worth it and shouldn't have to justify anything. And, by the way, I got the same response from my husband the first time I told him I wanted to go by myself because no one was able to go with me. He doesn't get it either. Then he realized that maybe he should have said something a little differently when I told him that I would not have responded that way if it was him telling me about somewhere he wanted to go. Life can be short, you should do something that will give you joy, whether Disney of something else. "Me time" will allow you to be recharged for the family. Just take all this advice with a grain of salt and use what works for you.

My last trip was a short solo trip leaving the DH and DS behind. My justification is that I took it from my personal saving and they aren't that interested anyway. Also I was celebrating a new job.

I personally wouldn’t care about spending the money on myself or leaving a grown man behind...my children are both young so at this point in my life that is personally what would stop me from going. Once they are older and can take care of themselves I’m sure I’ll be partaking in some adult only Disney trips.
This is also why I’d never forgo my financial independence but that’s another issue I guess :)

I personally wouldn’t care about spending the money on myself or leaving a grown man behind...my children are both young so at this point in my life that is personally what would stop me from going. Once they are older and can take care of themselves I’m sure I’ll be partaking in some adult only Disney trips.
This is also why I’d never forgo my financial independence but that’s another issue I guess :)

But why can't the kid's dad take care of them? I left my 1 year old son with my husband for a week so I could take a solo trip when I was 12 weeks pregnant with our second. Then, I went on a trip every other year with my friends, and left the kids with my husband. He is their father and he is as capable of taking care of them as I am. I will be going on another trip next year, and my kids will be 14 and 12 and they will be fine with dad just like they have been for the past 5 "mom-cations." My sister is also going (will be her second since having kids) and she is leaving hers with her husband...they will be 6 and 4. We went in 2016 when they were 4 and 2. Husbands are capable of being left alone with children.

But why can't the kid's dad take care of them? I left my 1 year old son with my husband for a week so I could take a solo trip when I was 12 weeks pregnant with our second. Then, I went on a trip every other year with my friends, and left the kids with my husband. He is their father and he is as capable of taking care of them as I am. I will be going on another trip next year, and my kids will be 14 and 12 and they will be fine with dad just like they have been for the past 5 "mom-cations." My sister is also going (will be her second since having kids) and she is leaving hers with her husband...they will be 6 and 4. We went in 2016 when they were 4 and 2. Husbands are capable of being left alone with children.
I’m not saying they can’t or shouldn’t be. I just personally don’t like leaving them.

I left the kids at home with their father many times also. They all survived! LOL I think a lot of Mom's feel that the Dad's won't be able to "handle" it. My sister was like that. She was concerned that they would starve to death or he would loose them or something. She worried the whole time we were on our trip and called them constantly. They were just fine and she wished she would have stayed longer on the trip.

Last edited:
I left the kids at home with their many times father also. They all survived! LOL I think a lot of Mom's feel that the Dad's won't be able to "handle" it. My sister was like that. She was concerned that they would starve to death or he would loose them or something. She worried the whole time we were on our trip and called them constantly. They were just fine and she wished she would have stayed longer on the trip.

Yeah, I agree. Honestly, I do a LOT of prep work before I leave. I make a detailed day by day rundown of everything that is happening that day, school start and end times, what to serve for dinner, how to pack the lunches, when to take out trash, which days to do laundry, vacuum, etc. It's basically a manual. I do meal prep for lunches and dinner and make sure the fridge and pantry are fully stocked. It's a lot of work on my end, but it keeps things running smoothly so my husband isn't constantly calling or texting me. I actually get to enjoy my time away.

Yeah, I agree. Honestly, I do a LOT of prep work before I leave. I make a detailed day by day rundown of everything that is happening that day, school start and end times, what to serve for dinner, how to pack the lunches, when to take out trash, which days to do laundry, vacuum, etc. It's basically a manual. I do meal prep for lunches and dinner and make sure the fridge and pantry are fully stocked. It's a lot of work on my end, but it keeps things running smoothly so my husband isn't constantly calling or texting me. I actually get to enjoy my time away.

I did that at first, plus did the shopping etc. Then I stopped. I remembered he was a grown man. LOL They did fine whether or not I did all of that work ahead of time or not.

I did that at first, plus did the shopping etc. Then I stopped. I remembered he was a grown man. LOL They did fine whether or not I did all of that work ahead of time or not.

LOL....my husband needs the manual. He has ADD...needs lists and notes for EVERYTHING.

Are you justifying it in terms of money, or would you just feel weird going by yourself? I gotta say, as much as I love the idea of being an empowered female who could go anywhere by myself and say to heck with what anyone thinks, I'm pretty introverted and would probably feel self-conscious getting on the 7 Dwarves ride alone. Plus, to me there is just something sort of connection-oriented about Disney. I can see sitting on a beach by myself no problem, but again - to me and only me, I think others should do what makes them happy - Disney alone kind of sounds like opening presents under the tree at Christmas alone, if that makes any sense. It's kind of like I want to share the joy with someone in that particular situation.

Anyways, these are the ways that I would feel more comfortable going solo - but again, YMMV, so not saying this is what you 'should' do, just some suggestions if we happen to be like minded!

- Conferences! Conferences are awesome. Traveling anywhere you want is suddenly ok and not awkward if you are at a conference. Dining alone? Suddenly totally cool with it. I'm at a conference! Riding the 7 Dwarves ride alone? Whatever, I'm decompressing after a conference! If you work, there are elebenty billion conferences in Orlando. If you don't work, I'm willing to bet there are still conferences for various interests or things that are important in your life. Which leads me to a related idea....

- Retreats. I am also cool with traveling alone when I am Getting My Zen on. Yoga, meditation, general 'holistic health', etc. And hey, you know, why not spend a day at the park before and after? Actually, why not make the retreat like two days and do two days at the park before and after... It's just a pitstop on the way to the retreat after all.

- Volunteering - I actually love this idea, although I haven't done a travel volunteer trip yet. You can volunteer with RunDisney, with ESPN, with Give Kids The World for volunteering that is more directly connected with the park, or, you could always just do something like a Habitat For Humanity trip and treat yourself to a day or two at Disney. Disney also has a program called Points of Light - I'm not entirely clear on how it works but I think the idea is that you find an organization near you that volunteers as part of the program, and presumably that organization will go on a Disney trip at some point.

- Find someone who could use a trip to Disney. If you have a cousin, niece, nephew, older adult living along, or anyone in your life who might benefit from the trip and some quality time, this would be an awesome thing to do with them.

Or - rent some Girl Power movies, be bold, be brave, and get on that 7 Dwarves Ride by yourself lady!

My suggestion is to keep talking to him and let him know how much you want to do this. You said you have a good marriage, he should want you to be happy. Think of all the reasons you want to go, and let him know, maybe this will be the only solo trip. I have a hard time spending money on big trips, so I think I know where you might be coming from. Justifying to him comes across as almost a threat. He needs to understand that this is something you really want, and you want him to support you for no other reason than he loves you.

If you have the money, you don't need to justify anything. Most men spend money on themselves without worrying about it, but some women seem to think they need their spouse's permission.

If you really want to go, plan a trip, figure out how much it will cost, then let your husband know that you intend to spend X amount on yourself. It is healthy to do so.

Life is short. If you really want to go, but don't go, you may regret it years from now.

If you have the money, you don't need to justify anything. Most men spend money on themselves without worrying about it, but some women seem to think they need their spouse's permission.

If you really want to go, plan a trip, figure out how much it will cost, then let your husband know that you intend to spend X amount on yourself. It is healthy to do so.

Life is short. If you really want to go, but don't go, you may regret it years from now.

Exactly! Life is short and you can't take it with you. If someone has the extra money(not needed to pay the bills) then there is no reason why they can't spend it doing something they like doing. Just because you get married does not mean you have to give up everything you like because the other person does not like it. It is extremely selfish of a spouse to not "allow" the other to do what they enjoy doing.

I've always had a job outside the home but I think I understand what you're saying. Because you don't have a salary from a company outside the home money can come up as an issue. And with his response about the money, it drove it home for you a bit. As long as there are not excessive bills that are a potential issue, then you shouldn't feel guilty.

I'd remind him of the money you saved as a family by you homeschooling your children. Even if your kids were in public schools there are fees, etc. If that didn't drive the point home, I'd get a part time job and save 'my own' money for 'my own' trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!