How do you make chocolate-dipped strawberries?

Sheree Bobbins

DIS Veteran
Chocolate-dipped strawberries always get attention. I have never melted chocolate for dipping in 18 years of cooking.

Does anyone know, can I just melt chocolate (semi-sweet) alone, or should I add butter. Does it have to be special chocolate. I've never noticed a recipe for these.

Thanks in advance!

Here's a site with a bit of a lesson about chocolate you might want to check out:

http://www.fabulousfoods.com/recipes/dessert/sweets/chocdipstraw.html

Here's a recipe - which you can leave the sprinkles out if so desired.

DOUBLE-DIPPED STRAWBERRIES

Nice with tea or coffee or as a light dessert.
36 strawberries (about two 1-pint baskets), unhulled

1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips (about 9 ounces)
1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
1 1/2 cups chocolate sprinkles (about 6 ounces)

Line large baking sheet with waxed paper. Wipe strawberries clean; dry with paper towels.

Stir chocolate chips and shortening in top of double boiler set over simmering water until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth. Place chocolate sprinkles in shallow bowl. Holding 1 strawberry by its green top, dip 3/4 of berry into melted chocolate. Let excess chocolate drip off, then dip into chocolate sprinkles. Place on waxed-paper-lined sheet. Repeat dipping remaining strawberries into chocolate, then into sprinkles. Refrigerate until chocolate coating is firm, about 1 hour. (Can be prepared 8 hours ahead. Keep refrigerated.)

Makes 36.

From Bon Appétit

You can also just temper whatever chocolate you like
just making sure no water gets in. The easiest way to do this is in the microwave. Take the chocolate out before completley melted and stir until melted. Then dip washed and dried fruit into the chocolate. Pound cake is good too.

I have the recipe from the Food and Wine Festival, but can't put my hand on it right now.

Margie J - if you see this - do you have it somewhere? I think you posted it once, but I can't find it on your website.

While I'm here ... I like to make tuxedo strawberries. Melt white chocolate and a little shortening in one bowl, dark chocolate and shortening in another bowl. (I do this in the microwave, check every 30 seconds or so especially with the white.)

First dip your berries in the white chocolate and then let cool on waxed paper. Then take the berries and dip them in the dark chocolate but at an angle so it looks like the berry is wearing a tux. :D

The most important thing is to make sure your strawberries are completely dry. If they have any water on them, the water will harden the chocolate. That's also why you use shortening instead of butter because of the lower fluid content.

I melt my chocolate without the shortening, but mainly just because I don't keep shortening on hand. It works fine, but it looks more dull, not quite as shiny.

Go to your baking section of your grocery store and look for almond bark - it comes in chocolate and white. Usually comes in a plastic tray wrapped in cellophane and is perforated to break into pieces.

Melt it in the microwave and dip your strawberries in it.

:p Wow. Thanks for all the information and tips! I knew there would be some tricks involved. I appreciate your attention to this question. I've been to a couple of parties where there were chocolate-covered strawberries, and people seem to really like them. They make your table look very nice, too.
LOL. Imagine using frozen stawberries. What a mushy mess that would be.

Sherree I also went to a party one time where they had both white and milk chocolate covered strawberries. They put them on toothpicks; took a styrofoam tree and poked the strawberries into the tree. As you wanted one, you just took it off the tree.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!