How do you secure your laptop?

TexasAggie

Mouseketeer
The safes I've seen in DVC properties are way too small to hold a laptop, so I was wondering how you secure yours while you're away from your room.

The safes I've seen in DVC properties are way too small to hold a laptop, so I was wondering how you secure yours while you're away from your room.

Hi!

I forget the names of the manfacturers however there is a steel cable and lock available at most stores selling laptops.

The cable has a reinforced loop in one end, and a lock/key assembly on the other. Simply wrap the cable around some sturdy, unmovable and unbreakable object, pass the lock through the loop and attach the lock to the laptop.

Most laptops have a little slot which accepts the lock. There's one model which also attached to a VGA, serial or parallel port on the laptop. (I just googled for one before editing this post, and found this lock on-line...just so you can see what I'm talking about: http://www.tryten.com/products/Laptop-Lock-Z5.htm. There's also a nice discussion and links to pricing for laptop security at http://mobileoffice.about.com/od/mobilesecurity/tp/securitycable.htm .

I'd look for one of these in Staples, or Office Max...someplace like them.

We generally just close it; sometimes we've put it in the case and haven't had a problem. I guess if we were concerned about theft, we could always stick it under clothing in one of the drawers.:confused3
I've never heard about anyone having an "incident". Given the posts on the Disboards, I'm sure it would've been posted. :)

The smaller laptops will fit in the safe (and in the safe on the cruise ship), my Sony SRX-87 does. If you are looking for a new laptop this may be something to consider.

Since most laptops don't fit the only other options are a cable lock (or put the laptop in a case and lock the case to something with a cable lock) or a PacSafe. I have used the PacSafe to lock up my camera bag, it looks pretty secure.

I set my machine to Screen Lock (I've got a Mac) and my laptop has the Encrption turned on the hard drive (FileVault). Finaly I carry a Kensington lock cable, and I put it around something large, heavy and solid and if I can find it, something that is attached.

Like at Port Orleans I have to use the Wash Basins. At PopC, I have to use the clothes rack/shelf, it's not optimal, but it's what I can find.

johno

I carry a key lock and just lock it in my suitcase, and put the key in the safe.

I generally do not lock up my laptop at all. I do have a kensington lock.. but I generally do not bring it. Never had a problem. I do keep all of my data fully backed up, and easy to recover.

/Jim

The reason I don't want my Laptop to walk is that I use it to backup my camera memory cards. Everything else I hae elsewhere, except for the photos I've take that trip.

I've been thinking about buying a Video iPod and use the camera connector to backup my cards/digital film.

johno

jco: I thought about using the VideoIpod/camera connector thing too, but from what I understand reading on other sites online, the transfer speed is sooooooo slow (USB 1.1?) that it's almost intolerable (~40min/1 gig?) and that you'd have to leave everything plugged in or else it'd drain your ipod battery

Guess my family is of the more trusting sort - at Christmas we had 3 laptops with us because of the mix of people. I had my personal one, my DD had her work one and DGD had her college one. At any given time there was at least one and maybe two out being charged up. I put mine in the dresser under some clothes, my DD had hers connected in the living room and DGD had hers on the table in the second bedroom when we went to the parks etc. Never had any problems but then we never had a room cleaning and even the T &T day didn't work the way it was supposed to so really there was not any reason for anyone other than us to be in the room. Will have to reconsider for the upcoming Sept. trip when we will have a full cleaning day. I usually have a lock for the suitcase so will take that along and put the laptop in there if needed.

I don't.
I have been traveling with my laptops for years to many destinations and have never locked it up anywhere.

MsA

I don't bring my personal laptop on vacation. I bring a company laptop that simply allows me to connect remotely to my desktop computer and/or work my email. So I don't do anything, but close it when I leave our room.

I connect to my work every morning and take care of simple matters (piece of mind) for about 45 minutes, but after that.... no work.

I don't.
I have been traveling with my laptops for years to many destinations and have never locked it up anywhere.

MsA

Same here till I was at a meeting at the Marriott at O'hare. When those of us attending (about 10 people) broke for lunch, and took our laptops back to our rooms (no one felt comfortable about leaving them in the meeting room.) I think 6 of the laptops where stolen.

Mine wasn't one as far as I can tell because my room was such a mess, my laptop was under a pile of clothes.

But ever since then I've been pretty crazy about locking up my laptop. If it can get stolen from a upscale business hotel, then it can walk just about anywhere.

johno

I have been traveling with a laptop for years and use a Kensington laptop cable. This will not prevent your laptop from being stolen by someone who wants it, it will just slow them down (hit it hard enough and you can break the plastic on the case). You just need to make sure that you have the cable looped around something that it can't be slipped off of. I can't count the number of times I've witnessed people locking their laptop and then loop it around the leg of a table that it can be slipped off of. After you lock it, you can put the key in the safe so you don't have to carry it around all day.

Gig'em

Nothing will stop anyone that wants your device bad enough. The point is to make it inconvenient for them to take it. Some large percentage of stolen laptops are a crime of opportunity (the person is there, the laptop is there, they figure they can pick it up and get away with it.)

I have to say locking it the coat rack/shelf in PopC isn't my idea of security, but at least if someone takes it they are busting up Disney's room to do it.

Sometimes the tables/desks in rooms are bolted down, so then it's okay to lock it to that.

johno

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter