How do you spell horrible? Newport Bay Club

Read the recent reviews on trip advisor
Many mention the problem

My advice, if you’re going to DLP, stay at the Disneyland hotel even if it costs more.
I find it funny that you think that more money will get you a cleaner hotel or better service, as they are all trained at the same school. You could also go cheaper, I never have any issue at Santa Fe. Always clean, friendly staff.

When I go to Tripadvisor, I find recent reviews about the Grand Floridian with rude cast members and dirty rooms, theft and all kinds of other problems. Even the most luxurious hotels in the world have problems and get bad reviews.

So to get back to what Disneyland Paris is about, what do you think of the park and are you able to enjoy yourself?

I am sorry that you have encounter these cultural problems...
(I have not yet been so DLP so I can’t speak first hand but as a European/German I can imagine the situation...)
The AC use is like others have noted completely different than in the US... to an extent that if you build a building/ hotel now you are strongly discouraged from relying on an AC to cool the building by laws...(in fact it is forbidden to rely solely on AC at least in Germany) and even if you have one in your hotel it is only used to cool down the air a few degrees (environmental reasons as well as health reasons)...
That heat wave right now is not a common thing so it is pretty special and many “middle Europeans” don’t really know how to handle heat well...(at least many Germans don’t) and governments (at least Germans) aren’t exactly known for quick rescheduling of things just because the circumstances would call for that... so in other words if they power outage was preplanned it probably can’t be changed with such short notice... (governments (at least Germans) aren’t exactly known to be smart and also probably wouldn’t think about when DLP park goers would do midday breaks...)

Actually very hot weather is not nearly so uncommon in France.

The number of people who die in heat waves in France boggles the mind.

disney should care about the physical safety of its guests.

We were in the Walt Disney Studios today where there is little shade, forget the lack of a/c.

The one place there is shade is that entry area.
At 3 in the afternoon, with deadly heat and a ferocious sun, that covered entry area, while providing shade was sweltering hot.
People were sitting on the floor all over the place fanning themselves with whatever was at hand. I was just waiting for them to start vomiting (one of the signs of severe dehydration)

But since it’s not the US I guess a guest can’t sue if he dies as a result of disney negligence.

Again I don’t care if it’s france where they’re known to be rude and have a low level of service- disney owns it. Their name is at the top.
They can do better if they want to.

And no I don’t live in the US.
I have lived all over the world my entire life.

Whatever the country, there are standards of service especially at this price point.

Which is something to note -DLP is extraordinarily expensive.
Far more expensive than WDW.
In case anyone is deciding between the two.
Any savings you might make in terms of air travel are more than eaten up by the high cost of the hotel and food, not to mention the far better conditions you’ll find at WDW.

I’ll be at WDW in August (my first as a DVC member - woohoo)
It will be interesting to make the direct comparison.

It’s such a shame you’ve had this experience. I think the weather and hotel conditions have not helped your opinion and therefore affected the experience.

We’ve been to DLP 17 times (I think, lol) and going again in a couple of weeks. Something must be drawing us back there, however I’m sure if I’d had a poor first visit we may never have returned.

Please don’t write DLP off because of one poor experience. We’ve made so many wonderful memories there, as have many other families I know and I hope you manage to enjoy what’s left of your holiday .

I find it funny that you think that more money will get you a cleaner hotel or better service, as they are all trained at the same school. You could also go cheaper, I never have any issue at Santa Fe. Always clean, friendly staff.

When I go to Tripadvisor, I find recent reviews about the Grand Floridian with rude cast members and dirty rooms, theft and all kinds of other problems. Even the most luxurious hotels in the world have problems and get bad reviews.

So to get back to what Disneyland Paris is about, what do you think of the park and are you able to enjoy yourself?

I thought the ratatouille ride is amazing
Really a brilliant ride
Glad to know it’s coming to Epcot

I didn’t have a chance to try the crush coaster as it was down much of the day and when it was up, the line was over an hour long
Not sure why it doesn’t have FP

I didn’t make it to ToT as I took the grandkids on Aladdin while their parents went to ToT

The show - Mickey and the magician was good but it was terribly hot in the building so not all of us enjoyed it

Catastrophe canyon was fun to see again since it’s no longer at MGM

That’s pretty much all there is at the studios right now

There is a lot down for refurbishment

In the Disneyland Park side, I think fantasyland is much better at DLP
Similar to fantasyland at DL in California, which I think is better than the fantasyland in MK

Also all the climbing exploring areas are very nice for little kids
We have a 3 and 5 year old with us so they really loved the maze and caves

And they adored the storybook boats and Casey jr.

We all felt small world is better in DLP
also pirates is better, phantom manor is better

What else.

Oh and my kids say thunder mountain is better as well

Not everything has FP, so the lines can be difficult.

Glad to hear you and your family are enjoying yourselves :)

Crush doesn't have FP as the capacity per hour is very low already. About 1,200 guests per hour versus over 3,000 guests per hour in Phantom Manor or Pirates of the Caribbean. Design flaw on a great ride.
If they added FP the standby lines would get even longer. Luckily there is a single rider line nowadays, it can be still a long wait, but usually it is better than the regular standby.

Glad to hear you and your family are enjoying yourselves :)

Crush doesn't have FP as the capacity per hour is very low already. About 1,200 guests per hour versus over 3,000 guests per hour in Phantom Manor or Pirates of the Caribbean. Design flaw on a great ride.
If they added FP the standby lines would get even longer. Luckily there is a single rider line nowadays, it can be still a long wait, but usually it is better than the regular standby.

The early entry is a bit hit and miss.
Ratatouille was open but both crush and ToT were closed during early entry so it was frustrating.
We rode ratatouille twice and catastrophe canyon and that was it for early entry
I would have hoped that crush and ToT would be open at that time otherwise it’s a bit of a waste.

On the Disneyland side not much was open for early entry either so it was frustrating.
On the official list they show lots open for early entry, but in reality very few attractions were open
Most opened at about 5 minutes to 10.

We were at the Newport Bay a few weeks ago and our room was amazingly clean. The AC did work, and we loved the hotel. It was much better than the Sequoia Lodge which we stayed at during the beginning of our trip.

I had a friend who was staying at Newport Bay the same week that we were. While we raved out our room, the amenities, the food at Compass Club, all she could do was find the faults. Complained about how cramped her room felt (just her, husband, and child), that the AC was not cold enough, housekeeping not up to her standards, and the food in the Compass Club did not measure up to that of the place they stayed at in Paris just days before. Our advice to her was that it appeared that DLP did not match her criteria. This might be the case with you as well.

We were at the Newport Bay a few weeks ago and our room was amazingly clean. The AC did work, and we loved the hotel. It was much better than the Sequoia Lodge which we stayed at during the beginning of our trip.

I had a friend who was staying at Newport Bay the same week that we were. While we raved out our room, the amenities, the food at Compass Club, all she could do was find the faults. Complained about how cramped her room felt (just her, husband, and child), that the AC was not cold enough, housekeeping not up to her standards, and the food in the Compass Club did not measure up to that of the place they stayed at in Paris just days before. Our advice to her was that it appeared that DLP did not match her criteria.
This might be the case with you as well.

The hotel has over 1000 rooms.
It depends where you are.
Our room is actually quite large.
My daughter’s is tiny with barely enough room for their bed.

The man in the room next to us just asked for a fan.
He’s British, but still felt the room was hellishly hot.

Last edited:
I feel like this thread is example #1 of why Americans aren't always well liked in France.

The feeling is more than mutual.
Twice in two days my daughter was grabbed by the arm while she stood in like.
Manhandled as someone tried to line jump

In 45 years of visits to WDW, I have never experienced that.

Wow you must be a miserable person to be around right now. I think for someone like you it is better to just stay in your country and never leave again, since you seem to hate everything that is not typical American. You are ruining this vacation for yourself, just try to enjoy the rest of your trip, and ignore the negative.

So I've read through this thread ( a couple of times actually) and the original poster's experience is just that... their experience and perception. Whether we agree with their observation or experience doesn't really matter... It seems they needed to vent and have done so. However, one thing I will say is I take all reviews on Trip Advisor with a grain of salt. I've seen so many insane reviews that I don't even bother to read them anymore. We have yet to visit DLP so I'm trying to soak up all information I can, and while this post may not be helpful to anyone else, it is helpful for people like me who are trying to learn as much as possible, which includes experiences that someone feels are sub par.

To the original PP, thank you for sharing your experience, even though it sounds like it's been less than stellar. And to the other posters who have chimed in opposition, thank you for sharing your thoughts as well. It just goes to show that no two people or families have the same trip experiences.

Heat waves may be common in France but not as this. A few weeks ago (on the last heat wave) the high temperature record was broken for France, and it looks like it may go higher this time. So this kind of weather is really not usual, and it's really not the weather they had in mind when the park was built.

AC is not so common here, newer buildings will have it, but many don't. And even if some places do have some sort of cooling system, it's not built for this kind of heat. Unfortunately most of DLP suffers from this. You've been very unlucky with the weather, it's really most unsual and I can imagine how exausting and frustrating it can be. To be honest I cannot even imagine what it must be like in the parks right now! I've been many times, but to be honest we usually avoid the summer because of the crowds. We've been in the spring and had some hot days (nothing like it's now), we've mostly been in the autumn and winter when it can get really cold!! And I can assure you that when its freezing outside, the heating works wonderfully in all shows, rides and hotels....

Have you been to the pool? I imagine it's quite busy as well!!

Sorry you're not having a good stay at the Newport Bay, usually it really is a nice hotel, but I guess they're having some maintenance issues - and the crowds and the heat are only making it worse.

Good luck with the rest of your trip!

Heat waves may be common in France but not as this. A few weeks ago (on the last heat wave) the high temperature record was broken for France, and it looks like it may go higher this time. So this kind of weather is really not usual, and it's really not the weather they had in mind when the park was built.

AC is not so common here, newer buildings will have it, but many don't. And even if some places do have some sort of cooling system, it's not built for this kind of heat. Unfortunately most of DLP suffers from this. You've been very unlucky with the weather, it's really most unsual and I can imagine how exausting and frustrating it can be. To be honest I cannot even imagine what it must be like in the parks right now! I've been many times, but to be honest we usually avoid the summer because of the crowds. We've been in the spring and had some hot days (nothing like it's now), we've mostly been in the autumn and winter when it can get really cold!! And I can assure you that when its freezing outside, the heating works wonderfully in all shows, rides and hotels....

Have you been to the pool? I imagine it's quite busy as well!!

Sorry you're not having a good stay at the Newport Bay, usually it really is a nice hotel, but I guess they're having some maintenance issues - and the crowds and the heat are only making it worse.

Good luck with the rest of your trip!

I think if you can stand the heat well, and take precautions, I don't think it's a bad time to visit the parks I think the locals stay away. Big Thunder Mountain is at 45 minutes, which is really good this time of day & year. Space at 25, Ratatouille at 30, Crush at 60.

If it's was at a nice 25 degrees (low 80s in Fahrenheit), I imagine the crowds would be worse.

I think if you can stand the heat well, and take precautions, I don't think it's a bad time to visit the parks I think the locals stay away. Big Thunder Mountain is at 45 minutes, which is really good this time of day & year. Space at 25, Ratatouille at 30, Crush at 60.

If it's was at a nice 25 degrees (low 80s in Fahrenheit), I imagine the crowds would be worse.

Oh definitely!!

So I've read through this thread ( a couple of times actually) and the original poster's experience is just that... their experience and perception. Whether we agree with their observation or experience doesn't really matter... It seems they needed to vent and have done so. However, one thing I will say is I take all reviews on Trip Advisor with a grain of salt. I've seen so many insane reviews that I don't even bother to read them anymore. We have yet to visit DLP so I'm trying to soak up all information I can, and while this post may not be helpful to anyone else, it is helpful for people like me who are trying to learn as much as possible, which includes experiences that someone feels are sub par.

To the original PP, thank you for sharing your experience, even though it sounds like it's been less than stellar. And to the other posters who have chimed in opposition, thank you for sharing your thoughts as well. It just goes to show that no two people or families have the same trip experiences.

If you’re planning on coming in the summer I’m serious about staying at the Disneyland hotel.
The proximity is worth the price.

Perhaps the New York hotel when it reopens might be ok, but in this heat the closer you are the better and that’s the Disneyland hotel.

The walk to the bus was hellish today with lots of crying kids.

The closer you can put yourself to the park the better off you’ll be.

If you’re planning on coming in the summer I’m serious about staying at the Disneyland hotel.

Perhaps the New York hotel when it reopens might be ok, but in this heat the closer you are the better and that’s the Disneyland hotel.

Thank you! We are actually flying into Paris on March 23rd, so luckily, the heat won't be a factor. I'm just hoping it won't be freezing! :)

Thank you! We are actually flying into Paris on March 23rd, so luckily, the heat won't be a factor. I'm just hoping it won't be freezing! :)

Colder is better than hot
The hotel is now sweltering hot and the lights went out for a short time about an hour ago.

Since it’s going up to 108 tomorrow I imagine it will get worse before it gets better

Another thing to consider- you can sometimes get half board.
The food is very expensive here so you should look into that

That is EXACTLY why we chose the Disneyland Hotel. We will be there next week, for only 2 nights, so paying more for the proximity and convenience is worth it to me. I know that it's supposed to cool down next week, but when we booked the trip I looked at the average temps for last year and it said low-90s. That convinced me!

Hope the rest of your trip goes well.

I fully agree, if you are staying at one of the Disney Hotels, never take the bus. It's must easier & faster to walk.
As a reminder for future guests:
- Hotel New York: 5 minutes
- Sequioa Lodge & New Port Bay: 5-10 minutes
- Santa Fe & Cheyenne: 15-20 minutes.
So for those used to staying off site at Disneyland Anaheim, very comparable to many off-site hotels there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!