How do you spell horrible? Newport Bay Club

I fully agree, if you are staying at one of the Disney Hotels, never take the bus. It's must easier & faster to walk.
As a reminder for future guests:
- Hotel New York: 5 minutes
- Sequioa Lodge & New Port Bay: 5-10 minutes
- Santa Fe & Cheyenne: 15-20 minutes.
So for those used to staying off site at Disneyland Anaheim, very comparable to many off-site hotels there.

The bus is currently about the same as walking to Newport Bay and you’re mostly out of the sun.
The short cut is closed for construction so you have to walk all the way around the lake which takes much longer.

In the summer, the only places that should be considered if you’re staying on property are the Disneyland hotel and the New York hotel which is closed until next year

In 108 degrees, even 10 feet is far.
And it’s not only hot but the sun is beating down making it worse and there’s zero shade on the walk.

On the other hand, walking is preferred in the evening as the people hanging around the bus area are a bit sketchy.
There are big security officers all over the bus area but still it felt like a place you wouldn’t want to be at night especially since Newport bays stop is the furthest away

Last edited:
Thank you! We are actually flying into Paris on March 23rd, so luckily, the heat won't be a factor. I'm just hoping it won't be freezing! :)

March is not usually too cold, the only issue you may have is rain... But otherwise it's a nice time to go :)

Thanks! We booked a deal (finalized everything last night) where the tickets, hotel stay, and 1/2 board are included in the offer directly from the DLP website. We figured that the food in general would be expensive, so luckily, the offer was there for us to book.

Really looking forward to just seeing everything! :)
Colder is better than hot
The hotel is now sweltering hot and the lights went out for a short time about an hour ago.

Since it’s going up to 108 tomorrow I imagine it will get worse before it gets better

Another thing to consider- you can sometimes get half board.
The food is very expensive here so you should look into that
I'm so sorry that the heat has been so awful for you... I can't imagine. We were in Italy in June and came home right before the crazy wave of heat hit the area (our last day in Milan it did get up to 96!). I hope you can find some relief somehow.

Thanks for the information on the food; I had read that it was pretty expensive overall. We were luckily able to grab the deal DLP is offering right now for our dates for next year... hotel, tickets, and 1/2 board meal plan for a good price. We made our reservations last night (had purchased our plane tickets 2 weeks ago), so at least we're locked into that pricing now. We had been holding off to book, but the prices started to climb and hotel availability was going down. We would have loved to have stayed in the Disneyland Hotel, but the price is just a little out of our budget with a trip to WDW planned for June 2020 also.

If you’re planning on coming in the summer I’m serious about staying at the Disneyland hotel.
The proximity is worth the price.

Perhaps the New York hotel when it reopens might be ok, but in this heat the closer you are the better and that’s the Disneyland hotel.

The walk to the bus was hellish today with lots of crying kids.

The closer you can put yourself to the park the better off you’ll be.

Have you actually been in the Disneyland hotel? Its ridiculously overdue a refurb. You'll hate it.

Personally I loved Newport bay club level. It's really not that long since it had a huge refurb so find it very hard to imagine there were too many cleanliness or maintenance issues.

As for the French CMs/management, yes they drive me nuts sometimes as well. You're lucky some of them arent on strike over something as they often are.

On the power outage, doesn't surprise me and I too cant see why maybe 4am wouldnt have been a better time.

Last edited:

If anyone wants some great A/C in Paris, I recommend the Hotel Elysee Gare de Lyon, which I stayed at in May. It's a 5 minute walk from Gare de Lyon, which makes it super convenient for the RER to DLP. This hotel had the COLDEST A/C of any hotel I've ever stayed at ever in any country. If you're in Paris right now during this heat wave, head there!

So, we've been at Sequoia Lodge since Tuesday. I have no complaints, whether about the cleanliness, proximity, or A/C, despite the record temps. Yeah, it's a little warm. We live in Phoenix. We're enjoying seeing and experiencing everything.

we left yesterday afternoon (at 3:30 PM) right as the thermometer reached 42 celsius (108 fahrenheit)..

the last night in the hotel was brutal - not even the tiniest amount of a/c in our 3 rooms..

there were many people complaining to staff as we waited for our transfer.

we were in the compass club, which wasn't that cool either, but more bearable than the rest of the lobby area..

as for the parks, other than the weather and the complete lack of a place to take refuge from the heat, they are very nice..

well, really disneyland park is beautiful, no question about it...

i've only been in DL in california, MK at WDW, DLP and Tokyo Disney...

of those 4 versions of the disneyland park, the one in Paris is the prettiest in my opinion....though they're all nice in their own way of course, but the one is paris is to me the most beautiful, with lots of interesting walking paths between areas....

Again, i'm only comparing the disneyland parks (not other parks like disney sea which is in a category of its own)..

Also, at DLP, many of the rides are far superior to those at WDW...
most pronounced differences to me were Thunder Mountain, Pirates of the Caribbean, Phantom Manor (haunted mansion at WDW), Small World.

I can't ride space mountain anymore, so i can't compare, but my son said the DLP version is great...

and the fantasyland in DLP is much better i think, though my kids disagreed with me....but i thought so..

which reminds me, there were lots of attractions closed yesterday due to the heat...
casey jr, the story book boats, some others i don't recall were closed due to heat..
pinochio was also closed, but i don't know why..
that's besides the things that were closed for refurbishment (autopia, dumbo, etc).

there was also no parade, due to the heat...
we left at 1:00 so i don't know what else was affected..

i actually scolded a manager because they had the horse drawn trolley running in the morning..
i said she had to get that animal out of the heat as it was cruel in the extreme to have him working in those conditions...
as we left the park, i checked to see if they were still running it and i couldn't find it, so i'm hoping they took that poor horse back to the barn and out of the brutal sun...
that really really really upset me when i saw that horse......i told my family that if we see him out there as we leave, i plan on standing in front of the horse to block it until they remove him from the park....unbelievably cruel...

That is EXACTLY why we chose the Disneyland Hotel. We will be there next week, for only 2 nights, so paying more for the proximity and convenience is worth it to me. I know that it's supposed to cool down next week, but when we booked the trip I looked at the average temps for last year and it said low-90s. That convinced me!

Hope the rest of your trip goes well.

have fun next week

a fastpass tip for you that you might already know but just in case you don't

fastpasses at DLP are like the old old paper passes at WDW, where they didn't care if you came back inside your window as long as you were past the opening time of your window..

meaning, you can go during the window or anytime after the window...
i was assured this is the case by three different managers, and in fact, we found it to be true when we tried it out...

and more than that, we even used one day and two day old passes without issue...
i doubt that's official policy, but we had no problem doing that.

even so, we ended up with zillions of leftover FPs...
and sadly, my brain was so fried, i forgot to pixie dust anyone on the way out and give them my FPs..
i used to always do that at WDW, when i had paper FPs left...
oh well...next time.... 8-)

The horses are never out in the afternoon, only in the morning, but I agree he shouldn't have been out this particular morning.

All the rides that closed are rides where there is no shade in the line or a CM has to work in a place where there is no shade. This was really all about guest and employee safety

that was obvious about casey jr and the storybook boats...
we road them several times on the other days and they were hotter than hades - though a lot of fun for the kids...
but we weren't surprised at all that they closed them yesterday...
there was no way to run them in that heat...
i was wondering if they closed aladdin, as the seats there were brutal the day before, but we didn't go by that way and i didn't pay attention in the app...

.oh....i just remembered another ride that's better at DLP - Buzz lightyear....longer ride with more interesting targets and the guns can be tanken our of the holster.

I would have to disagree about staying in the Disneyland Hotel in summer. This heat is unusual. Normally it is 30°c and much more manageable. It’s been unbearable in the UK too as this heatwave is unexpected. You can’t implement systems in the event that there may be 3 or 4 days of 40 degree weather.

All rides where either guests or CM are without cover from the sun were closed yesterday because of the heat: so yes, Aladdin was also closed.

And Pinocchio and I think Snow White also closed because it got too hot inside the ride...

The parade and all outside shows were cancelled (they only kept the very first show in the morning)

They actually set up watering hoses around the park, with holes in them, to cool guests down...

This heat is (or used to be) truly exceptional. The high temperature was broken in Paris yesterday (as well as all around Europe). Unfortunately it seems like this kind of weather will become more and more common...

All rides where either guests or CM are without cover from the sun were closed yesterday because of the heat: so yes, Aladdin was also closed.

And Pinocchio and I think Snow White also closed because it got too hot inside the ride...

The parade and all outside shows were cancelled (they only kept the very first show in the morning)

They actually set up watering hoses around the park, with holes in them, to cool guests down...

This heat is (or used to be) truly exceptional. The high temperature was broken in Paris yesterday (as well as all around Europe). Unfortunately it seems like this kind of weather will become more and more common...

according to the UN meteorologist who appeared on the various european news channels this week, this weather should no longer be considered that extreme for europe which is being deeply impacted by climate change. That's what she was claiming anyway.

i wonder how many people had heat stroke yesterday. There were people i saw who were most definitely on their way there.
People die from hot weather. it's not at all uncommon, even in countries that do believe in air conditioning.
When you're outside, if you don't cool your body down, you're at risk of overheating.

I'm glad that you enjoyed many aspects of the park despite the brutal heat. I think that Europe will have to adjust their infrastructure as this type of heat becomes more common. We are heading there in mid-August and will be at DLP over our Labor Day weekend. We will be staying at Newport Bay since it was much more affordable and from everything I read and vlogs I've watched, it is much nicer than the DL Hotel at this point since it was recently refurbed and the DL Hotel has not been but is in need of one very soon. I'm hoping it has cooled off a bit by the time we arrive! I'm looking forward to seeing this park as I have visited DL, WDW, and SDL. Hoping in the near future to add Tokyo to the list!

I'm glad that you enjoyed many aspects of the park despite the brutal heat. I think that Europe will have to adjust their infrastructure as this type of heat becomes more common. We are heading there in mid-August and will be at DLP over our Labor Day weekend. We will be staying at Newport Bay since it was much more affordable and from everything I read and vlogs I've watched, it is much nicer than the DL Hotel at this point since it was recently refurbed and the DL Hotel has not been but is in need of one very soon. I'm hoping it has cooled off a bit by the time we arrive! I'm looking forward to seeing this park as I have visited DL, WDW, and SDL. Hoping in the near future to add Tokyo to the list!

SDL is shanghai DL? how was it?
was the air quality a bother at all?
we have 3 members of the family with rather severe asthma and i was worried it might be a problem there.
I'd like to do an asian disney trip for all of us some time, but after the air pollution issue came up, i was thinking of doing just HK and Tokyo.
But i'd really like to include Shanghai.
Did you find it impacted you at all?

SDL is shanghai DL? how was it?
was the air quality a bother at all?
we have 3 members of the family with rather severe asthma and i was worried it might be a problem there.
I'd like to do an asian disney trip for all of us some time, but after the air pollution issue came up, i was thinking of doing just HK and Tokyo.
But i'd really like to include Shanghai.
Did you find it impacted you at all?

I was there in the summer, and there was no issue with the air pollution at all. Not in the city, not in the Disney park. I am sure there are moments when it's bad, but I do think the media is overdoing it.
Hong Kong is one of my favourite Disney parks due to its relaxed atmosphere. Tokyo was nice, but we had several cultural issues with some CMs, and the massive crowds even in low season were a turn off. And would be at the bottom of my list of Disney parks to return to. Also didn't see why Disney Sea gets so hyped up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!