How do you spell horrible? Newport Bay Club

I was there in the summer, and there was no issue with the air pollution at all. Not in the city, not in the Disney park. I am sure there are moments when it's bad, but I do think the media is overdoing it.
Hong Kong is one of my favourite Disney parks due to its relaxed atmosphere. Tokyo was nice, but we had several cultural issues with some CMs, and the massive crowds even in low season were a turn off. And would be at the bottom of my list of Disney parks to return to. Also didn't see why Disney Sea gets so hyped up.

that's good to know!
my daughter was at HK disney, but back when it first opened..
i believe a lot has been added since then...

personally i adore tokyo disney (and japan in general)...
i grew up spending a lot of time in japan (as well as in europe)...
Japan has always been a favorite of mine and my kids have inherited my love...

yes the crowds and more specifically the lines there are daunting to say the least...

i'm not sure what issues you might have had, but as with any country, cultural differences can be a deal-breaker sometimes...

we observed some very strange behavior by the french CMs - not versus us, but altercations with other guests who were further ahead of us in line...
things that i've never seen happen at WDW and i think it was entirely due to cultural differences in the approach of the CMs to their work...
actually, most of the incidents we saw were between french CMs and french guests, so that was particularly interesting (i speak french so i could follow what was happening)..

there were also a few really difficult incidents between french CMs and american and british guests...

in all the cases we saw, we felt the guests were in the right....
but we also felt it was something in how the french implement their work guidelines...
we even spoke to a manager about it, and according to her, the guidelines are actually very similar to how it's done at WDW, but sometimes the implementation gets lost in translation...she admitted as much.....
it was interesting..

.i wonder if what you experienced in tokyo was of a similar nature...
very hardline implementation of operational guidelines...

I was there in 205 (so before the Disney park) and I had some problem with air quality one day. I don't suffer from any respiratory conditions, but my mom and sister do, so there might be some genetic thing I normally don't notice. One day I just really couldn't breathe while outside. Had to return to the hotel and just ly on the bed with the AC on to be able to get some air

oh wow, that must have been frightening!!
i think part of what happened to us at newport bay had to do with asthma...
my daughter, granddaughter and i were really suffering from the dusty room and dusty/dirty carpets ...
every time i went into the room i started to choke...the fan helped me a bit, maybe by blowing the air away from me..
i had the fan positioned to blow the air away, not at me...
crazy, but it seemed to help...

my 3 year old granddaughter had trouble all night long...it was pretty bad..

i'm trying to think of the word that describes what the air felt like in the hotel...and it was worse than other places, which i can only attribute to not being sufficiently cleaned..
i should specify...the main floor of the hotel (2nd floor in terms of where you get off the elevator) was clean....

but our hallways and rooms were not clean....not properly vacuumed or cleaned....

what's the word.....it's going to drive me nuts until i remember it...

SDL is shanghai DL? how was it?
was the air quality a bother at all?
we have 3 members of the family with rather severe asthma and i was worried it might be a problem there.
I'd like to do an asian disney trip for all of us some time, but after the air pollution issue came up, i was thinking of doing just HK and Tokyo.
But i'd really like to include Shanghai.
Did you find it impacted you at all?

I brought masks to wear since I'd heard the air quality could be an issue, but never had to wear one. From what others told me while we were there, it can be worse during the winter months and I think it is worse in Beijing, which we also visited and had no issue with... we actually had blue skies while on the Great Wall, which is apparently kind of rare! We only had one day in SDL and were so bummed that Pirates was down the entire day. I loved the SDL hotel - didn't seem like barely anyone was staying there at the time so it was awesome and SO beautiful. The park is beautiful as well and very large. The pathways are very wide so even when crowded, it doesn't feel that claustrophobic. The ride lines were very long though, probably due to rain that moved in that shut down some rides. There are definitely cultural differences in this park - line cutting was very common and got a little irritating. I'm preparing myself for that in DLP as well. Anyway, I'd recommend a visit for sure! I'd love to visit Hong Kong also - it looks like such a nice, quiet and small park!

Last edited:

I brought masks to wear since I'd heard the air quality could be an issue, but never had to wear one. From what others told me while we were there, it can be worse during the winter months and I think it is worse in Beijing, which we also visited and had no issue with... we actually had blue skies while on the Great Wall, which is apparently kind of rare! We only had one day in SDL and were so bummed that Pirates was down the entire day. I loved the SDL hotel - didn't seem like barely anyone was staying there at the time so it was awesome and SO beautiful. The park is beautiful as well and very large. The pathways are very wide so even when crowded, it doesn't feel that claustrophobic. The ride lines were very long though, probably due to rain that moved in that shut down some rides. There are definitely cultural differences in this park - line cutting was very common and got a little irritating. I'm preparing myself for that in DLP as well. Anyway, I'd recommend a visit for sure! I'd love to visit Hong Kong also - it looks like such a nice, quiet and small park!

the line jumping at DLP was much improved from our last visit (19 years ago!!)...
in fact, i was surprised that there wasn't more than there was..
partly it was because they've improved the lines themselves, so they don't lend themselves to easy line jumping..
there was still some, but the people doing it were those i wouldn't argue with, so we didn't challenge them when they moved past us...
but it didn't happen often this time.....19 years ago, it was constant and we were vigilant, standing 4 abreast to prevent it from happening..
this time we were a group of 9 and really didn't bother with that....
i think only about 6 times during the week did we get passed, again by people i wouldn't think of arguing with....
and as i mentioned earlier, 2 of the times my daughter was grabbed and shoved aside....again, there was no way we were going to put up resistance to that sort of behavior when we were deep in a line...
if someone wants to get ahead of me that much, be my guest...

as for that other french behavior, you do still have a lot of smoking outside of the designated areas..
i saw lots of people just walking around smoking....
but since you're outside, it's not as disturbing as it might be..

there's a tremendous amount of security all over DLP and people seemed to be very good about it....
getting into line and moving along in an orderly fashion...

that's good to know!
my daughter was at HK disney, but back when it first opened..
i believe a lot has been added since then...

personally i adore tokyo disney (and japan in general)...
i grew up spending a lot of time in japan (as well as in europe)...
Japan has always been a favorite of mine and my kids have inherited my love...

yes the crowds and more specifically the lines there are daunting to say the least...

i'm not sure what issues you might have had, but as with any country, cultural differences can be a deal-breaker sometimes...

we observed some very strange behavior by the french CMs - not versus us, but altercations with other guests who were further ahead of us in line...
things that i've never seen happen at WDW and i think it was entirely due to cultural differences in the approach of the CMs to their work...
actually, most of the incidents we saw were between french CMs and french guests, so that was particularly interesting (i speak french so i could follow what was happening)..

there were also a few really difficult incidents between french CMs and american and british guests...

in all the cases we saw, we felt the guests were in the right....
but we also felt it was something in how the french implement their work guidelines...
we even spoke to a manager about it, and according to her, the guidelines are actually very similar to how it's done at WDW, but sometimes the implementation gets lost in translation...she admitted as much.....
it was interesting..

.i wonder if what you experienced in tokyo was of a similar nature...
very hardline implementation of operational guidelines...

maybe the word i'm looking for is musty?
we were up on the 7th and 8th floors..
our hallways and rooms were musty....dusty and moldy....heavy thick air? you can smell the dust....feel it in the air...
it's very obvious when the carpets haven't been vacuumed and cleaned properly..
anyway, that was where our rooms were..
it's a huge hotel - over 1000 rooms, so for sure the situation might have been good in other areas...
i know the hallway and room carpets were never vacuumed during our stay, as there was visible dirt that remained in place during the 5 days we were there...

it was interesting to contrast it with our stay in barcelona, where the hotel was so incredibly immaculate...
and in that hotel, they don't even have daily maid service - only in between guests (or if you stay a week i think)..
but they have a veritable army of cleaners working there...
i saw them in action one day....
they descend on a suite in force to scrub it stem to stern...
and the hallways are cleaned that way every day...
it's takes a large work force to keep a place clean..
if you cut corners, there's no way you can keep up with it..

Just came up on this thread. I'm so sorry that Disneyland Paris didn't met your expectations.

Just so you know, New Port Bay Club has had a lot of electricity-related problems lately. I do not believe one second that a “government-related check” required a 1.5 hour black-out: I live in France, I have spent countless nights in hotels, both at Disney and other properties, and I have *never* heard of such a thing. On the other hand, I've heard many cast members from maintenance talk about electricity-related issues in this property in the last few weeks: they were apparently struggling to keep the power in the kitchen & the pool at multiple times. Maybe they needed to shut down electricity for a moment to fix the issue once and for all (this would be a good thing, although I am really sorry it impacted your trip).

I hope that you were able to raise your concern to a manager. Most of the front staff at Disneyland Paris doesn't care, partly because most of the guests coming from outside France are rude and insensitive. Most managers do have a clue about what is going on. This is true at any Disney park or resort, probably much more at DLP.

Speaking of cleanliness, it shouldn't be an issue. The rooms may be old and not in great shape (this can be true at WDW, you mentioned Pop Century, but what about the Polynesian Resort?) BUT they should be all clean.

I think the worries about the power outage and the air con are enormously over done, but this thread is right about how crappy the DLP hotels can be for the price.

Sure they are just hotels for a couple of nights stay, not resorts, but the service is often (although not always) terrible and the maintainace and cleanliness is often appaling. I was very dissapointed with the state of Sequoia Lodge last time I stayed, and I am not American.

I actually think WDW hotels also have an issue with cleanliness, Polynesian hallways can be grotty, rooms in AKL pretty worn and stained, but I have never felt ripped off in them like you do in DLP sometimes,

The Disneyland Hotel is the only decent one really, and even that isn't amazing.

Last edited:
I actually have seen it before, but only once, in a Disneyland hotel. It was in January 2016 in Sequoia Lodge, same notice. I also asked an employee about it last week because of this thread and he said that it is a thing, but he doesn't know the details. Also added "there is one today I believe", which was the day the OP said it was.

Interresting, thanks for sharing. Wondering what they are really doing with the power shut down!

I think the worries about the power outage and the air con are enormously over done, but this thread is right about how crappy the DLP hotels can be for the price.

Sure they are just hotels for a couple of nights stay, not resorts, but the service is often (although not always) terrible and the maintainace and cleanliness is often appaling. I was very dissapointed with the state of Sequoia Lodge last time I stayed, and I am not American.

I actually think WDW hotels also have an issue with cleanliness, Polynesian hallways can be grotty, rooms in AKL pretty worn and stained, but I have never felt ripped off in them like you do in DLP sometimes,

The Disneyland Hotel is the only decent one really, and even that isn't amazing.

I think it can be hit or miss and probably perception & expectation. I apparently am always in clean and decent rooms at Santa Fe. Staff is very friendly and efficient, with laughs, high fives and buttons to spare.
The only objection against I had against Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest was that the room was quite dark and looked out over the garbage cans.

Yes, some people attract that sort of thing also. This weekend we're going to DLP with a friend who always, always has something wrong with his reservation/room, will be fun to see what's going to happen, as we're known to get surprise upgrades :rolleyes1
Completely different, but some people seem to attract it, I used to work at a callcenter (inbound) for a health insurance company and the colleague sitting opposite me had to raise her voice several times a day to customer. There was something in her voice that made customers think they could walk all over her, and when she had to tell them no, they just didn't accept it. She said exactly the same things as I did to explain the procedures etc., but there was something in her voice which rubbed people the wrong way.

It’s not scheduled Maintenace, it’s some ridiculous government mandated check when all the hotels at DLP will have their power turned off.

If the manager is to be believed, they tried to convince the French governmental authority to postpone due to the extreme weather but to no avail.

This type of thing definitely happens in the US parks, too. I've experienced a planned water shutoff at the Grand Californian in Anaheim and an accidental (water main break at DHS) water shutoff at Coronado Springs in Orlando, both for multiple hours. And if you think NBC is dirty, you probably never stayed at GCH (or even Coronado) before their most recent refurbishments. We had a roach crawl out from under our bed at GCH one night, and definitely used to play "guess the stain" with the old Coronado carpets. And when we complained about the AC at GCH, a maintenance guy showed up, badmouthed the resort, and vented sludge from the AC system into our toilet, which he didn't clean up afterwards.

This type of thing definitely happens in the US parks, too. I've experienced a planned water shutoff at the Grand Californian in Anaheim and an accidental (water main break at DHS) water shutoff at Coronado Springs in Orlando, both for multiple hours. And if you think NBC is dirty, you probably never stayed at GCH (or even Coronado) before their most recent refurbishments. We had a roach crawl out from under our bed at GCH one night, and definitely used to play "guess the stain" with the old Coronado carpets. And when we complained about the AC at GCH, a maintenance guy showed up, badmouthed the resort, and vented sludge from the AC system into our toilet, which he didn't clean up afterwards.

that's all pretty disgusting....no excuse for that at all..

I am sorry your experience did not live up to your expectations.
I have personally never been to Disneyland Paris but I do hope to some day.

Each Disney resort around the world is built to cater to their target audience. That includes the US parks as well.
These are a few examples...

Tokyo Disney Resort
- Smoking rooms in parks and hotels.
- AC is shut off in hotel rooms when not in use
- Hotel lobby's are hot in the summer (AC usage is low)
- Umbrellas...umbrellas everywhere!

Disneyland (caters to everyone, but their main population are latinos)
- Tabasco sauce included in a lot meals
- Corn on the cob (with cheese, sauce, etc.)
- Flavored churros

Disney World
- Funnel cakes
- Freezing restaurants, hotel rooms, etc.
- Strollers galore

Shanghai Disney
- This park was literally built for the Chinese guests, and any American going to this park expecting it to be like the rest of the parks will probably be upset. From the hotels, rides, and food its absolutely different.

Again these are just examples I could think off the top of my head.

Dirty rooms are not okay in any hotel around the world except if its a situation that's "you get what you pay for". Disneyland Paris is turning around and now being under full ownership of Walt Disney Company things will take a turn for the better.

But getting upset at cast members/Disney Company for maintenance routines that are beyond their control is just is what it is. One night at the Hotel Miracosta the AC's were shut off for maintenance between 1-3. In the middle of July...where it was 110 degrees.

Sorry for the lengthy post. I don't mean for this to come off rude...but I do hope you enjoyed your DLP trip somewhat.

I am sorry your experience did not live up to your expectations.
I have personally never been to Disneyland Paris but I do hope to some day.

Each Disney resort around the world is built to cater to their target audience. That includes the US parks as well.
These are a few examples...

Tokyo Disney Resort
- Smoking rooms in parks and hotels.
- AC is shut off in hotel rooms when not in use
- Hotel lobby's are hot in the summer (AC usage is low)
- Umbrellas...umbrellas everywhere!

Disneyland (caters to everyone, but their main population are latinos)
- Tabasco sauce included in a lot meals
- Corn on the cob (with cheese, sauce, etc.)
- Flavored churros

Disney World
- Funnel cakes
- Freezing restaurants, hotel rooms, etc.
- Strollers galore

Shanghai Disney
- This park was literally built for the Chinese guests, and any American going to this park expecting it to be like the rest of the parks will probably be upset. From the hotels, rides, and food its absolutely different.

Again these are just examples I could think off the top of my head.

Dirty rooms are not okay in any hotel around the world except if its a situation that's "you get what you pay for". Disneyland Paris is turning around and now being under full ownership of Walt Disney Company things will take a turn for the better.

But getting upset at cast members/Disney Company for maintenance routines that are beyond their control is just is what it is. One night at the Hotel Miracosta the AC's were shut off for maintenance between 1-3. In the middle of July...where it was 110 degrees.

Sorry for the lengthy post. I don't mean for this to come off rude...but I do hope you enjoyed your DLP trip somewhat.

thanks for your post..

it's funny, as we all talked about the trip afterwards at family dinner the other day, we all mentioned particular areas of filth..
when you enter the newport bay from the DLP walkway, there are wooden stairs that you go up to get to the lobby level..
we all remarked about the filth on those steps that were never cleaned during the 5 days we were there..
it was funny, because my daughter in law really went crazy about it..
she just couldn't believe that the dirt was left that way for 5 straight days..
and we're not talking motel 6...
this is a VERY expensive hotel..
the rack rate of our room was 710 euro.....not exactly a cheap date..

i didn't know it, since they didn't tell me while we were there, but my son's room smelled of sewage..
he said they complained the first day and every day thereafter, but nothing was done, and no apology was given....

clearly this hotel is in desperate need of refurbishment and management training...

thanks for your post..

it's funny, as we all talked about the trip afterwards at family dinner the other day, we all mentioned particular areas of filth..
when you enter the newport bay from the DLP walkway, there are wooden stairs that you go up to get to the lobby level..
we all remarked about the filth on those steps that were never cleaned during the 5 days we were there..

i didn't know it, since they didn't tell me while we were there, but my son's room smelled of sewage..
he said they complained the first day and every day thereafter, but nothing was done, and no apology was given....

clearly this hotel is in desperate need of refurbishment and management training...

As has been said many times, it has only just had a refurbishment!

thanks for your post..

Have you though about contacting anyone at the Disney Company now that you are home?

We just returned from 8 days in Europe, beginning with DLP. We didn't have that big of an issue with cleanliness (though there was someone else's trash on the chair in our room. We weren't a big fan of the hotel for a couple reasons (1) no-one helped us with our luggage and there was no clear sign of where we were supposed to park to unload). I had to watch 2 kids and load all the luggage on the conveyor belt for security. Then, the luggage storage people lost 2 of our bags. They brought the luggage up, and they were missing the large suitcase. Then we had a lunch bag that was missing. One other thing, which was my mistake, is that I didn't realize that there was nowhere to buy coffee on site or get a quick breakfast. That one was my problem as I easily could have found that if I did more research. We also went to Normandy, Paris and London so this wasn't our only European hotel. The workers? yes, they were all friendly. I did do the survey I got. Oh, and DLP people smoke wherever. In front of no smoking signs. Everywhere. Not sure how much the CMs could do about that. I saw one talking to someone. We had a big rain storm and we were all huddled under coverings one people were smoking. We opted to get wet.

We plan on going back in 5 years or so when the kids can ride all the rides. It was just a taste of DLP. We will probably stay off property then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!