How does dining plan work and what is included?

There's a good possibility it won't return anytime soon, because properly crediting meals undoubtedly takes extra work, particularly if a table has some on the plan and others paying.

Also, servers take time to advise diners what items are covered by their plan and which cost extra. There were 4 different plans, so which one a party had makes a difference what the plan covers.

Restaurants now are still noticeably shortstaffed, barely able to give decent service in the TS ones. I'm sure that they're not eager to deal with dining plans until fully staffed again even though the plans typically are big moneymakers for Disney.

I think that how the plan worked and its feature will be TOTALLY different in the future.
No need to worry what it was like in the past.

I think that how the plan worked and its feature will be TOTALLY different in the future.

I don't know about that. Why do you think the plans will be different?

People generally say the dining plans are a big moneymaker for Disney. Which makes sense to me because they're more for convenience than saving money since you must order certain item categories per meal. I've often seen people say they wouldn't have one, for example, because dinner was beverage-entree-dessert. That was too much food, or they don't eat dessert.

As a result, I tend to think of them as an "Ain't broke, so why would Disney fix it?"t

I expect they'll make tweaks, but I doubt it will look totally different (too bad, because a more ala carte or points based system might be interesting).

As to how it HAS worked... it's an add-on option to a resort stay, and is tied to the number of nights off your stay (e.g., a 2 night stay would get 2 "days" worth of credits per person on the reservation). All guests on the reservation must get the plan, or none at all, and it's for the full length of stay. Credits are available from the time you check in until midnight following the morning you check out.

The various tiers of the plan have different credit allocations, for example the quick service plan includes two counter service (CS) credits and 2 snack credits per person per night, whereas the regular Disney dining plan includes one table service (TS), 1 CS, and snacks per person per night. All credits are awarded in a lump sum and can be used at any time - if you wanted to do three TS meals in one day, that's fine, you'll just use up 3 days worth of TS credits to do it; the credits are also awarded to the reservation, not to individuals, and can be used by anyone on the reservation at any time (so make sure you coordinate with your party!)

A snack credit can be used to get a snack or drink at participating locations, eligible items are usually clearly marked on the menu. In general, a single-serving non-entree item usually counts as a snack.

A CS credit can be used participating locations to get an entree (or a combo like a a chicken tenders basket with fries) and a beverage. A TS credit can be used at participating locations to get an entree, dessert, and beverage - OR selections from a fixed price menu (where available) including beverage - OR admission to a buffet or family style meal, including beverage. Some restaurants are "signature" locations and require 2 TS credits per person for the same entitlements (just at a theoretically better quality and experience).

A "beverage" is single serve fountain drink, tea, coffee, juice, milk, smoothie, shake, or (as of recent years) alcoholic beverages from the standard menus. Refills on drinks normally eligible for refills when purchased are included. Drinks coming in souvenir cups, wine flights, etc., are excluded.

You cannot split entitlements, e.g., you can't use a CS credit to get an entree and then go somewhere else to get a drink later. Use it all or lose what you don't use.

The dining plan is a payment method, like cash, credit card, or room charge - at the register (for snack/CS) or at the end of your meal (for TS) you will pay with credits and covered items will be zeroed out on your check, allowing you to pay for any non-covered items through other means. Gratuities are not included except in rare cases where they are specifically listed as included; taxes on covered items are included.

Based on the “added experience” model that Disney has been taking on just about everything else, I speculate that when the dining plan returns, it will follow the same model that cruise lines apply to specialty restaurants. Multiple options are available with a markup. Want steak? That will be an additional $10 on top of your TS credit. Want the seafood option? That will be an extra $20 on top of your TS credit. A lot of people will automatically add the dining plan, remembering how “it used to be” and once at the restaurant they will pay an additional $10 or $20 for their preferred entree, and an additional $15 for an appy. All speculation, of course, I have no inside knowledge, but I’ve taken a few cruises and I’m thinking this is how the plan will operate.

The removal of DDP of paying for gratuities is a cautionary tale.
Guest complained about serve. Disney thought , you don't like your serve level, you can pay for tips yourself.
Granted servers already had a tip so they did not go overboard with that table.

BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU COMPLAIN ABOUT.

The removal of DDP of paying for gratuities is a cautionary tale.
Guest complained about serve. Disney thought , you don't like your serve level, you can pay for tips yourself.
Granted servers already had a tip so they did not go overboard with that table.

BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU COMPLAIN ABOUT.
Fair point to be sure - I definitely don't think I complained about the level of service (I know you're not insinuating I did - just carrying on a conversation). As the child of a lifelong server and having waited tables at far less stressful places back home (this was when I went in HS/college), I thought it was great (but I do remember, like you, of the complaints).

We always travel two families together (8-9 people) and we bought the Deluxe dining plan just for one party and then use the credits for all of us during our stay.

Here's an example:
8 people, each with standard dining plan
Standard ddp = 1 QS + 1 TS + 2 snacks /night
$78 * 8 people * 10 nights = $6,240
$780 pp
80 quick serve credits
80 table service credits
160 snack credits
8 refillable mugs

8 people split in two rooms, dining plan just for one room
Deluxe ddp = 3 meals QS or TS+ 2 snacks /night
$119 * 4 people * 10 nights = $4,760
$595 pp
120 meal credits
80 snacks credits
4 refillable mugs

We used it mainly for seat down meals and the extra for the most expensive counter service. This way we saved a lot and didn'thave tons of snacks credits (just enough for ice cream). Hope it returns soon because it was so convenient. I love it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter