How dog friendly is the fort?

firemanx

DIS Veteran
How dog friendly is the fort? Stayed @ AoA didn’t seem very dog friendly I understand the fort is nature woods themed, but what has been your experience bringing your well behaved dog to the fort staying in cabin

I am assuming you mean how well do other guests handle dogs being around. I have only brought my dog to the fort. We are normally in a campsite but this weekend in a cabin. In general when walking my dog everyone smiles and ahs. So I say pretty friendly. We even came back to the cabin from a walk and mousekeeping was there and she thought my dog was sweet.

there is also good dog park at the fort. If your dog likes that thing it is great.

I will add my dog is very old and very friendly.

How dog friendly is the fort? Stayed @ AoA didn’t seem very dog friendly I understand the fort is nature woods themed, but what has been your experience bringing your well behaved dog to the fort staying in cabin
Have taken a dog to both a cabin and a campsite. Super pet friendly. If you want mousekeeping at the cabin I believe that you have to schedule it when the dog is out of the room.

If your dog is well-behaved, doesn't bark when left alone, and you pick up after him/her, The Fort is very dog-friendly. As mentioned, the dog park is a great place for exercise. There is also a lovely walking path behind the 800 and 900 loops.

Campers (the people kind) tend to be pet friendly, and generally more friendly. We take our German Shepard camping, she does not go to the Fort tho as we usually are park commando's and it would not be fair to the dog. There is plenty of space to walk the dog, etc.

The Fort is extremely dog friendly. But let me put in a good word for Best Friends Pet Resort. We can't leave our Dachsie in our trailer because he's a barker AND we like to do long days at the Parks. So we do day boarding at Best Friends (they also do overnight boarding but we've never done that). They open in plenty of time to make rope drop and are open until 1 hour after the last park closes. He's always happy to go with the workers when we leave him and is happy to see us when we get back.

The caveat is that we have our truck with us so that makes drop off/pick up a breeze. If you won't have a car it may not be so easy.

I will second the Best Friends idea. We took our dog in Dec 2018 and did the day boarding at Best Friends. He was not the type that liked to be left alone. he wasn't destructive or anything, but would howl constantly.

They were super friendly and helpful. They all offer personal and group playtime plus a doggy yogurt treat.

Hi:) I just watched a YouTube video of a couple who stayed in a con with fur babies and at check in they gave them a doggie goody bag! It has Disney doggie bowls, trays and tag.. do they still do this at check in? Is it only for cabins or for camper puppies too?

Hi:) I just watched a YouTube video of a couple who stayed in a con with fur babies and at check in they gave them a doggie goody bag! It has Disney doggie bowls, trays and tag.. do they still do this at check in? Is it only for cabins or for camper puppies too?
Only cabins.

I just returned from staying in a cabin with my small dog, and have also stayed in a campsite with him. The fort, particularly the RV loops are extremely dog friendly. It seems everyone has a dog and everyone is friendly and courteous about it.

I saw a few dogs in the cabins area and had no issues - but people aren't "around" as much in the cabin loops, so we really didn't see people too often.

BUT, be prepared to pay $50 a day for up to 2 dogs in a cabin. Yes, they give you a goody bag of an under bowl mat, 2 really cheap plastic bowls, a dog tag, and a carry bag. I gave most of it away because they were too big for my dog.

We tried leaving him alone for an hour and it didn't go well. We had a camera set up and he cried and howled for us :( :( :( He doesn't do that at home. We decided the best thing would be to put him in Best Friends for day care and were very happy with it. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

FWIW - between the parking charge of $20 and the $50 pet fee, next trip we will simply rent another RV and stay in those loops. We thought we would try the cabins with the dog because of the deck and the fact that it's private, but for the extra $70 a day in just those 2 fees, it's cheaper to get him the taj mahal room at Best Friends than to pay Disney.

Thanks for your review. When you stayed previously in a campsite with him, did you leave him for the day?

We leave our fur babies @ Best Friends when we will be at the park over 4 hrs. They seem to have no problem going to their rooms. We always keep them together.

It is very dog friendly. But I will say that last year we stayed in a loop on the canal and were walking our tiny 5 lb dog behind our site and a smaller gator saw our dog or us, not sure which, and swam extremely fast at us from the other side of the canal. We literally ran lol. Most areas like the dog park there are fences but not on the canal which is our fav place to walk her. We did contact the Fort and they had a guy trying to catch it, we watched in amusement for quite awhile, and eventually another guy came to help him. Not sure if they ever did catch it, but that was last year. I am wondering if people feed it or if it was just a little ownery. :oops::dog::o. PS: This did not stop us from continuing walking there

It is very dog friendly. But I will say that last year we stayed in a loop on the canal and were walking our tiny 5 lb dog behind our site and a smaller gator saw our dog or us, not sure which, and swam extremely fast at us from the other side of the canal. We literally ran lol. Most areas like the dog park there are fences but not on the canal which is our fav place to walk her. We did contact the Fort and they had a guy trying to catch it, we watched in amusement for quite awhile, and eventually another guy came to help him. Not sure if they ever did catch it, but that was last year. I am wondering if people feed it or if it was just a little ownery. :oops::dog::o. PS: This did not stop us from continuing walking there
My guess is people have been feeding it. If they don't associate people with food they'll go under, or at least stay still. And if it was a "smaller" gator, it was the dog, not you. They won't go after anything that's as big as you but yeah, people have been feeding it. Now sadly it has to go....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter