How dog friendly is the fort?

My guess is people have been feeding it. If they don't associate people with food they'll go under, or at least stay still. And if it was a "smaller" gator, it was the dog, not you. They won't go after anything that's as big as you but yeah, people have been feeding it. Now sadly it has to go....

Feeding it? FEEDING A GATOR!!??!! Why on earth would anyone do that???? I am seriously shaking my head, here.

Feeding it? FEEDING A GATOR!!??!! Why on earth would anyone do that???? I am seriously shaking my head, here.
I know but they do. Prior to the boy being taken in front of the GF, people were seen feeding the alligators from the decks of the Poly Villas & Bungalows. The activity was reported to castmembers but I don't know if it was acted on. It's against the law down here to feed or molest alligators in the wild and yes, Disney is in the wild. I'm with you. I have alligators in the lake in my back yard, but people who live here know better.

I know but they do. Prior to the boy being taken in front of the GF, people were seen feeding the alligators from the decks of the Poly Villas & Bungalows. The activity was reported to castmembers but I don't know if it was acted on. It's against the law down here to feed or molest alligators in the wild and yes, Disney is in the wild. I'm with you. I have alligators in the lake in my back yard, but people who live here know better.y

Honestly, I think that if someone is actually caught feeding them, they should be removed from the property with NO refunds, period. Just the same as if they were caught DUI, rickey-racing, or firing a gun into the air. If they want to be stupid, do it on their own time on their own property!

I've been to Yellowstone and other Natl Parks where there are large predators and if you get caught feeding or enticing them with food, you are OUT of there, with a hefty fine and a pending court case!

Being from Calif, I was unbelievably paranoid about gators. When we were in FL I never turned my back on a body of water and never even got near water I couldn't see to the bottom of! We stayed a couple of nights at a place with a large pond and I could not believe that people were actually swimming in that murky water. I'd rather be called a chicken than have a gator say I taste like one!!

Last edited:
Honestly, I think that if someone is actually caught feeding them, they should be removed from the property, period. Just the same as if they were caught DUI, rickey-racing, or firing a gun into the air.

I've been to Yellowstone and other Natl Parks where there are large predators and if you get caught feeding or enticing them with food, you are OUT of there, with a hefty fine and a pending court case!
It's Disney. Guests can get away with a lot before they get in trouble. Sadly that didn't work out too well but it happens all the time.

Sadly, the idea of "relocating" alligators is a myth. Calling the front desk to have a gator caught is a death sentence for the creature. Unless the alligator was an actual threat (sitting by the canal, swimming towards you, etc. do not qualify) please just avoid them and go your own way.

Sadly, the idea of "relocating" alligators is a myth. Calling the front desk to have a gator caught is a death sentence for the creature. Unless the alligator was an actual threat (sitting by the canal, swimming towards you, etc. do not qualify) please just avoid them and go your own way.
This is true. Florida's opinion is they have enough of a population where relocation isn't desirable.
This: "Please just avoid them and go your own way".

We were told they were moved to the Disney Wilderness Preserve.

Yes, a fed bear is a dead bear. When they associate food with people, they don't leave people alone.

I haven't seen any 8-foot gators at the Fort and the ones I do see don't bother me and I don't bother them. Thus we have an "understanding".

Bama Ed

Yes, a fed bear is a dead bear. When they associate food with people, they don't leave people alone.

I haven't seen any 8-foot gators at the Fort and the ones I do see don't bother me and I don't bother them. Thus we have an "understanding".

Bama Ed

Yep! I think YNP (and others w/large predators) should sell T-shirt and post signs that say "This ain't Disney and those ain't animatronics!".

We're frequent visitors at YNP and the 'close encounters' we've seen (every darned trip!!) between 'newbies' & idiots with bison, bear, elk et al would be entertaining if they weren't so dangerous (to the animal, that is).

To quote Mama Gump "Stupid is as stupid does".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!