How early should I leave for MK...

Jchoma

Mouseketeer
Our Disney trip is finally here! We’re on our way now and staying at Port Orleans Riverside the first part of our trip. MK opens at 8 on Saturday. We plan to drive our own car there. What time should we leave the resort if we would like to be in front of the castle around 7:15? Is leaving at 6:30 a.m. early enough on what’s projected to be a pretty crowded day?

Yes, it's about a 10 min drive and if you give yourself 25 min to account door to door (time from resort hotel room to TTC to park entrance and security), you should be fine. If the TTC monorail or boat looks like a long line, take the bus as that usually has no wait.

Yes, it's about a 10 min drive and if you give yourself 25 min to account door to door (time from resort hotel room to TTC to park entrance and security), you should be fine. If the TTC monorail or boat looks like a long line, take the bus as that usually has no wait.

There is no bus from the TTC to the MK. Ferry & monorail are the only two options.

There is no bus from the TTC to the MK. Ferry & monorail are the only two options.

That's not entirely true. They do sometimes run buses from TTC to MK if the Monorail is down or is running reduced hours.

Honestly, OP, for MK I recommend taking the bus from POR and skipping the TTC. They will start running very early (despite what Disney says). Get on a bus at 6:30 and you'll be one of the first guests there!

There are buses at TTC but not always and more times than not we’ve seen them waiting with little to no wait. My guess since it’s the least glamorous and fun way to get to MK.

That's not entirely true. They do sometimes run buses from TTC to MK if the Monorail is down or is running reduced hours.

Honestly, OP, for MK I recommend taking the bus from POR and skipping the TTC. They will start running very early (despite what Disney says). Get on a bus at 6:30 and you'll be one of the first guests there!
This!
Last June we were at Kidani and got on the MK bus at about 6:30 (it was sitting there waiting when we walked up to the bus stop and we were the only people who got on). We got to MK and they hadn't even opened the security check line from the buses yet. The security team there teased us about being so early, but it was only a matter of minutes before we had company coming in behind us.

They actually let us into the park a little earlier than they were supposed to that morning. We went in, got pictures, wandered our way down Main St. and then several CMs came and had to push us back a bit. There was a wedding photo shoot going on in front of the castle, and they were also doing some training with one of the trolley horses and a handler (which was cool to see). We actually heard the announcement to the CMs about when the park was set to open and how they needed to be in place!

Point being...the bus can get you there in plenty of time. We beat the people coming in from TTC on the boat or monorail. :)

Our Disney trip is finally here! We’re on our way now and staying at Port Orleans Riverside the first part of our trip. MK opens at 8 on Saturday. We plan to drive our own car there. What time should we leave the resort if we would like to be in front of the castle around 7:15? Is leaving at 6:30 a.m. early enough on what’s projected to be a pretty crowded day?
when MK opens at 8 they let you in main street about 7:45 ish so I do not think you will be in front of the castle at 7;15

Thanks for all the tips! My kids would veto the bus on day 1....they compete to see who can see the castle first from the ferry :) But that’s a great tip and I think we’ll take the bus on our second MK day!

Thanks for all the tips! My kids would veto the bus on day 1....they compete to see who can see the castle first from the ferry :) But that’s a great tip and I think we’ll take the bus on our second MK day!

It is true that the journey from the TTC is purposefully designed to slowly reveal the Magic Kingdom. When I was a kid, we did the Monorail, and I can so vividly remember coming around the bend and the castle coming into view for the first time. It is a very special feeling. Sometimes we park commandos lose sight of the ambiance in the race to rope drop and other hectic touring. Enjoy!

Honestly my first on site trip I was sooooooo disappointed to not take the ferry (and I was in my 20s) so I understand their choices

If you don't want to take the bus, leaving at 6:30 should get you there in plenty of time to be down Main Street by 7:15.
Enjoy!

Oooo, I can totally understand that! I still prefer going to Epcot by monorail than any other mode of transportation just because that's how I saw it for the first time (that loop around the park before hitting the station) and it's still so cool to me.

You guys have fun!!

Thanks everyone :) We left at 6:45 (of course we were running behind) and got to MK at 7:20 via the ferry. They didn’t open Main Street until 7:45 so thanks to the poster who gave a heads up on that! Didn’t realize that was the case with an 8:00 open. We’ve had an amazing day so far!

Point being...the bus can get you there in plenty of time. We beat the people coming in from TTC on the boat or monorail. :)
Totally agree. If you ride the bus to the Magic Kingdom, you can skip the ferry /monorail and walk straight to the ticket lines.

Other details to get in faster:
- Skip carrying bags, which must be checked
- Be mindful of which entrance lines are shorter

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!