How easy/hard to add diners to reservations

MissChris

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone,

We have a couple of people in our group who's schedules won't be nailed down until just a few days before our trip. I'm making dining reservations right now, how hard is it to add people to our group later if it turns out they can join us?

I would just make a reservation for all possible people except we have 9 people all together if we count people who might or might not come, so including everyone "just in case" means there are reservations we can't get. I'd be bummed if there were experiences we missed out on because we had to include people who don't end up joining us.

Thanks!
Chris

Totally agree you should book for everyone that might be there. You can always have people not show up but to add, especially with a party that size, is difficult at best.

If there are some you can't get because of size and don't want to miss out then you may want to consider booking two different reservations (will require being under two different accounts as well). That way you could have a table say for 4 and another for 5 around the same time and be able to cancel one if others don't join you. You won't be guaranteed sitting together but most restaurants will try.

And if all else fails just book what you want and tell your last minute joiners to fend for themselves :earboy2:

Or just tell the people you may have to eat at separate places.

How many people are undetermined?

9 is hard as a lot of the tables are for even numbers. It depends where you are going. Places like Boma, Akershus, Whispering Canyon, BOG lunch are very accommodating, but places with individual smaller tables and chairs will most likely not be able to help you.

We had an extra person decide to join two weeks before a few years ago making us 9 and some places were great (the ones listed above) as I called the morning of. Other places just flat out could not (Ohana, CRT, Biergarten). One person just went and ate somewhere else with the last add on person.

On a side note, because it was a 12 year old, they were really nice with fast passes and the extra person.

Agree. Make the reservations for the larger number. It is much easier to decrease the number, but you cannot always add people to a reservation.
We had trouble adding just 1 person for 1 meal 2 years ago.

I've also seen the advice to try for even numbers. Unless you are talking a pre-paid meal, perhaps try to 10 instead of 9?

There must be a few people in the group you aren't crazy about. Make them a reservation for a separate table. :)

Note, the smiley face means this is a joke.

I know there's been chatter on the Dis that sometimes over 9 requires the group to break up due to size. I'd search it on this site or even just google it. You can try calling to make the res to and the cast member can advise the best way to go.

I've decided to just include my on the fence guest. Because we're at 9 without her and at 10 with her. It's not like it's going to matter that much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!