How easy is it to get into non-home DVC resorts?

allison k

I'm a lurker, not a poster!
This is for all of you DCV vets out there. As you can see, we go to WDW a lot - especially since DL is in our backyard. We seem to average going every other year, and we've been toying with the idea of DVC. I'm just checking out the TSS site and I realize that we'll get the most bang for our buck with OKW. That being said, we loved BCV when we toured 3 years ago and it's proximity to EPCOT is awesome since we spend most of our time there!

Now that you have the background, here's my question:
How easy is it to get into the other DVC resorts at the 7 month window?

Plus, what would you do if you were me?

Thanks!
Allison

but my guide answered this question to me today, so thought I'd share. Basically he told me the majority of owners plan 5-6 months in advance. Points are points at 7 months. Which means, only if you plan to travel to a specific resort at a specific high traffic time will you probably have issues with availability. For example, from what I've heard, Grand villas @ Christmas, spring break or Easter are hard to come by. Basically, he told me, if you have an exact time and exact preference, to make ressies as far in advance as possible.

For us, 11 months in advance isn't even feasible with my husband's business, so that made no difference to us. We did prefer OKW over SS but the incentives and price @ SS were better than OKW.

We also travel ONLY at non-peak times. Weather is better, everything is cheaper and parks are less crowded. That will not change in the immediate future so that was important to us as well.

You should weigh what is most important to you and analyze your travel patterns to make your decision.

We just bought recently and couldn't be happier. Good luck!

Well the DIS mantra is buy where you want to stay. If you would be satisfied staying at OKW if things didn't work out for you then I would go for it.

Just as aside, OKW is cheap but SSR is not that much more money and you get an extra 12 yrs which sounds like a much better deal to me.

You can usually get what you want at 7 months with the possible exception of high demand times for things like Grand Villas, BWV standard views, and VWL in early December or BCV for the Food and Wine festival. There is always the waitlist, and that is usually successful if you get on it early. We love the accommodations at OKW so much more than the other smaller hotel type rooms at the other DVC resorts, but if you are young enough, you might want to take advantage of the extra 12 years at SSR.

We are returning home next May for the first time since becoming DVC members earlier this year. Made ressies at SSR 11 months out and called at the 7 month window and got changed to a Grand Villa at OKW with no problems.

Thank you all for your advice. If you'll just indulge me a bit more.

I like the idea of the extra years at SSR - we're in our early 30's. However, I don't like the location of the resort. We drove by when it was being built and it seemed so far away! Having stayed at POR and driven by OKW, I know that I'm comfortable with OKW's location and I don't think I would mind staying there if other resorts aren't available.

Now, let me throw a wrench into the whole thing! We're taking the cruise the first week of April and our Freq Flyer miles will allow for coming in 3 days early and leaving on 4/11. I know, premier season. Ugh! We were talking about renting points and seeing if we liked the resorts and then making a decision (realized it was too $$. But as the time draws near, I'm thinking of just going for it and purchasing (hopefully 3 days at Vero ahead of time and 4 at OKW after). Of course, based on what I've read, I'm not even sure we'll be able to get a ressie if we purchase resale or new!!!

The deal with SSR is appealing, but my brother is an Imagineer (lucky guy) and we would get the CM discount which was 15% off 3 years ago. Of course I'll double check next time I go to DL - they have a DVC booth now!

Thank you for your indulgence! You are all so helpful!

Well, SSR is right next door to OKW (they both border the golf course) - you can walk from one to the other, so if OKW is OK (heh), then SSR should be, too. You might be a few minutes closer by car to some places, but you're closer to DTD and off-site at SSR.

Just MHO, but I wouldn't let SSR's location alone rule it out for you.

Be well!

the hardest time I have found - Dec 1-14 for any WDW DVC resorts, Thanksgiving, Food/wine festavial.

the other times including Spring break and summer have not been a problem for me.

I made my reservation anywhere from 11months before (dec) to 30 days before.

the 30 days before can be a problem because at 60 days anyone can make a reservation at the DVC resorts. all the unrented DVC villa go to CRO at that day.

however members also cancel at 31 days so their points don't go into holding.

you can generally get what you want using the wait list. just have patience!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter