How easy is recharging scooter in WDW parks?

HappyCamperToo

Fish gotta fly
I now have a second scooter which is smaller than my original scooter and it doesn't give me as many miles to a full charge.

How easy is it in WDW to find a place to plug in when stopping for a quick service meal or while seeing a show?

I took this smaller scooter to Disneyland in California and it was practically impossible to find a place to plug in. A cast member move a huge trash bin to expose a hidden outlet. I suspect it's because of people wanting to recharge cell phones.

I'm hoping to avoid taking my bigger scooter, but I also don't want to give up 30-45 minutes of park time to sit in the first aid station just to recharge.

Thanks.

If you turn off the ECV when not moving it really should not need charged. Also some times doing short charges will ruin the battery

With that said there are a good number of places to charge in the parks.

Sounds like your battery lasts for you. :)

I don't think my smaller scooter's battery will last the whole day/evening without a 20-30 minute top-up midday.

Would you be able to be more specific about where the good places are? Thanks.

I'm hoping there are some inside quick service restaurants. Are there outlets that are live? and often available?

I'm hoping to avoid taking my bigger scooter, but I also don't want to give up 30-45 minutes of park time to sit in the first aid station just to recharge
You're just objecting to First Aid, right? Because you're going to have to sit somewhere for the 30-45 minutes while topping up.
Sounds like your battery lasts for you. :)
Maybe time for a new, or second, battery? Or bring the ECV that will get you through an entire day, even though that's not your preference?
This was written for cell phones but should work for you as well.
Not written well enough to invite trusting its accuracy. Ignoring spelling, statements like, "The Land has outlets upstairs near the Electric Umbrella" when the two buildings are on opposite sides of Future World, separated by a third building, and there not being a restaurant on the upper level of The Land at all, I'd be reluctant to follow any of the suggestions.

Best suggestion, if you bring the ECV with the insufficient battery? Ask a Cast. Member.

I did consider looking into buying/bringing another battery, but I'm not sure where/how it would work to carry it with me.

Taking the bigger scooter is more cumbersome on the busses and will take up more space in the hotel, but it's definitely an option.

I guess I was just hoping there might be someone here who charges their ECV in the park and could tell me where they do it.

And hoping that place would feel like I was still in the park atmosphere, vs the time I sat in a back room at DL first aid for 20 minutes just so I could ride back to my hotel that night. Felt like I was in a time out lol.

Thanks.

I know there are outlets by the Rapunzel bathroom in MK and also in Sunshine Seasons in Epcot.
Using a first aid station might not be the most fun way to spend some time, but beats the alternative of running out of juice.
What kind of ECV is your larger one? If you're really concerned about finding outlets in the parks, I'd use the one that doesn't give you the more frequent charging problem.

I did consider looking into buying/bringing another battery, but I'm not sure where/how it would work to carry it with me.

Taking the bigger scooter is more cumbersome on the busses and will take up more space in the hotel, but it's definitely an option.

I guess I was just hoping there might be someone here who charges their ECV in the park and could tell me where they do it.

And hoping that place would feel like I was still in the park atmosphere, vs the time I sat in a back room at DL first aid for 20 minutes just so I could ride back to my hotel that night. Felt like I was in a time out lol.

Thanks.

I get it. I understand.

But you will be better served by spending the money on a new battery and here's why:

First of all, you won't be spending precious time waiting for your battery to recharge. A fully charged battery should last you all day long if you practice good battery hygiene. More on that in a minute.

But more importantly is this: Any time you plug your ECV battery into a random outlet - even one at WDW - you run a risk of frying the battery, the battery charging circuit, or the electronics that run your scooter. The reason that the outlets in the hotel rooms are "safe" is because they are wired identical to your residence. The outlets that are scattered around the Parks may - or may not - have been wired as 110.

If your batteries are "swappable", then carry along an extra battery in a backpack - just be prepared for Bag Check at every Park.

Someone told me once that the (overall) average cost of a Disney Day is currently somewhere around $200/day/person (if you include food, lodging, travel, etc.) At $200/day, how do you want to spend your time in the Parks?

I don't spend it charging my batteries.

Battery Hygiene tips:

Make sure that you charge your scooter to full capacity every night in your Resort room, and you should (hopefully) never need to plug it in and charge it during the day at the Parks.

For example, if you are sitting on your scooter, (in a queue, watching a parade, looking at a map) and won't be moving for more than 10 seconds turn it off. Unlike a car, the scooter is "instant on", so you don't have to worry about the time it takes to switch on/off.

So - turn it off if the queue you are in isn't moving.

Turn it off when you are waiting for the bus, and the bus isn't there.

Turn it off ON the bus, when it is tied down.

Turn it off when you are eating meals, using the bathroom, taking pictures, or talking to a Cast Member.

Turn it off when you park it for any amount of time.

So... not moving? Turn.It.Off.

Make sure the headlight and/or tail light is not on during the day.

Don't charge your cellphone, iPad or allow other devices to draw power from your scooters' main battery supply.

You get used to turning it off quickly - and being able to go all day on one battery, without worry, is worth the tiny extra thought and movement it requires to turn it off anytime you are not in motion.

I took this smaller scooter to Disneyland in California and it was practically impossible to find a place to plug in. A cast member move a huge trash bin to expose a hidden outlet. I suspect it's because of people wanting to recharge cell phones.

Why would they hide outlets from people if they wanted them to use them? Whether its a cellphone or an ECV, there are charging places that are okay to use, and other outlets that are not. I don't think they hide them behind barrels just so people can't charge a cellphone!

The outlets around the parks are not placed so people can charge an ECV, except in the designated charging areas. Random outlets throughout the parks are for park equipment.

There's a charging area near the Rapunzel bathrooms, for instance. Those are for the guests to use. Other ones around the park, hidden behind trashcans, etc? Those are for park equipment and might not be safe to use.

I can address the specific issue - it is not easy finding a spot to charge. We ran in to this a couple of times when someone forgot to charge the battery fully.

Yes - there are outlets.

However, for every outlet you find, there will be several folks hovering ... trying to charge some device or another (cell phone, tablet etc).

Last October - in the Rapunzel area several of the outlets did not work. So that made the challenge harder. It was like a game of musical chairs - see who gets up and watch who dives for the outlet first (OK - I exaggerate a bit, but that was the feeling)

Depending on the size of your extra battery, maybe put it in a locker when you get there. Then, when you notice that you are getting "close" (dial dipping to the red), you should still have enough juice to get to the front of the park and swap it out.

Good luck and enjoy your trip

Absolutely, get a second battery; hopefully, with it's own charger; so, you can charge both batteries at the same time. You may need it for other travel reasons.

Vacation time is precious and I won't be held hostage by my scooter not lasting all day. Besides, I just don't believe topping it off for 30 minutes will be enough. You may find yourself having to do this multiple times.

If your scooter doesn't come with a basket to keep the second battery then you can use a back pack on your back seat. We have done this and it can be done. You can use locks and other means to secure your belongings.

Depending on how old your ECV is you might need to replace your batteries. My friend thought her’s was new but would just not last. Even turning it off all time. She got new batteries and they lasted all day with no problem. It was easy to put the new ones in

We've had an occasional charging emergency, usually at the end of a long day. Maintenance CM's were very good about directing us to outlets, although none of them were indoors. Around the edges of planters and flower beds were usually good locations, and in the Magic Kingdom there's one inside the tunnels under the railroad station and another by the penny pressing machine just outside the gate.

In addition to the ones mentioned in the link, there are outlets in World Showcase in the hallways outside of virtually every bathroom.

A few of the places that I have personally used are:

In the Magic Kingdom there are outlets in the back of the store next to Space Mountain, in the seating area in front of the Tangled bathrooms, inside the lower level handicapped reserved area of Columbia Harbor House quick service, on some of the walls inside the Pecos Bill quick service, inside Guest Relations, at the front of the tunnel underneath the train station as you enter the park and by the bathroom that is just outside the park.

In Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios many of the bathroom areas have outlets near them.

In Epcot the SunShine Food Court has outlets all along the walkway between the food area and the seating area. Around the back side of the building where the Starbucks is, there is an inside seating area with outlets. Inside the building where the Pixar movie shorts are showing has outlets on the wall as you go up towards the entrance doors.

I used to charge mine at one of the outlets in the CHH in the handicapped area, as Tiggerish mentioned. Nice place to get something to eat or drink , too.

I used to charge mine at one of the outlets in the CHH in the handicapped area, as Tiggerish mentioned. Nice place to get something to eat or drink , too.

I've eaten in that HA reserved area, never noticed the outlets there. Thanks! The things you can learn on the DIS!

I'm curious what the make and model of your scooter is and what sort of battery pack you are using. If it is a lead-acid style battery, you can almost certainly get a Lithium battery with double the range and less weight. Alternately, you can get a second battery and then stick it in a locker until needed.

Otherwise, I hope the suggestions mentioned already help.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!