How easy to hop from AK to MK?

JenniferFolsomCa

Mouseketeer
I am considering going to AK 8am until 2pm and then driving over to MK for the rest of the day. Any guess how long that takes? Or is it easier to take a Disney bus, but then worried the transport might be too late to get back to AK parking lot? Any thoughts?

Jenn

How late are you planning on staying at MK? In our experience, driving over I just as fast, especially since then you won't have to go back to AK. In the middle of the day, we've sometimes had spotty bus service from AK so I'd probably recommend not taking Disney transportation.

I think your best bet would be to drive, though that will mean you have to park at the TTC and then take the monorail or ferry to MK, as I'm sure you know.

I would drive if I had a car for a hop between AK and MK. Either way, I would estimate an hour for the hop just in case of hiccups.

Driving: I would probably estimate about 5-10 minutes to vehicle from park entrance, then 10-15 minute drive to TTC parking spot. From TTC, I would plan about 20-30 minutes for security and transport to MK gates. [Note: I have not gone through TTC since they moved security there so this is a true estimate.]

Bus: 0-30 minute wait for bus, 10-15 drive, then 5-15 minutes for security and entrance to MK.

Driving, will just save you having to go back later to get your vehicle.

You will always be able to get a bus back to your car if you leave it at DAK. It doesn't matter if DAK is closed, the park to park bus runs until the MK is clear of day guests. If you stay to park closing, there will be a bus available to take you where you need to go.

When I was driving, I closed many a park or DTD, policy was always take the guest where they need to go. I will neither confirm or deny that some bus drivers had been known to drive a guest directly to their car at DAK when I was a CM. It could be different now, so don't plan on that bit of magic.

It's 50-50 whether to drive yourself or take the bus. Driving yourself could be faster but you have to factor in getting to your car at AK, driving over to the TTC, then catching the monorail or boat to the MK entrance (plus security time at the TTC) while the AK to MK park to park bus drops you at the MK bus loop. If your timing is great, the bus will be faster, if you just missed the bus at AK, driving may be faster.

I'd probably be inclined to drive it.

If it was anywhere other than MK for your second park, I might recommend starting the day by driving to your second park, then bus it back to first and bus back to park where you parked. That way at the end of the day you don't have to deal with a bus trip back to the car. You could do that, but the tram/monorail/ferry adds to the time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter