How far do you tow?

Although I haven't taken the camper to Disney yet, We drive from Canton OH (hour south of Cleveland) to Jacksonville once or twice in the winter (roughly 850 miles). Typically one trip is taking the 5th wheel toyhauler. I usually leave in the evening and drive straight through the night. I take it nice and easy the next day and catch up on some sleep. It's not the most fun, but its super nice not having any traffic on the roads.

Ok , so on my test run i ran into a problem. The break controller reads low power when stopping. So i figure that means no trailor breaks. I will dive into this shortly. Unpacking now. I figure i need to test the voltage at the conection in the TV , if thats good , then i need to look at the trailor wiring. Looking it up now. Lol. Good thing i just paid someone to make sure they worked.

Ok , so on my test run i ran into a problem. The break controller reads low power when stopping. So i figure that means no trailor breaks. I will dive into this shortly. Unpacking now. I figure i need to test the voltage at the conection in the TV , if thats good , then i need to look at the trailor wiring. Looking it up now. Lol. Good thing i just paid someone to make sure they worked.
You with a few rig problems and us with I-10 problems we are all finishing before trip fixes. One way or another we will get to the fort.

The break controller reads low power when stopping.
When you are trouble shooting, make sure you focus on the grounds. It could be a 12 volt supply problem, but my experience is it is usually a bad ground on the trailer somewhere. It could be on the pigtail connector too.

Good luck chasing it down.

j

Ok , checked and cleaned up the grounds on the TT. Couldn't trace it for the TV ( im not good with cars) . I also cleaned up the 7 pin conecters, contact cleaner and a q tip. So, i will hook up tomorrow and see if that helps.

This is why we won't buy a trailer without two doors. Bathroom access while on the road if need be, or even a lot of times when we stop at a rest area.
When shopping for a trailer, it had to have access to the bathroom with all slides in, or it was off the list.
I like my TT, 1 door. The bed is the only slide, it covers the table and couch when in transit. So , bathroom, fridge, beds, kitchen are accessible while on the road!

I agree 100% about access to bathroom and we also must have access to refrigerator with all slides in - never owned a TT with two doors though. Only once did we have an issue and it was when we had a pop up - only endured that for one year though. The 'journey' is a large part of our trips so we must be comfortable. Our motorhome has three slides, but still has access from one end to other.

When you are trouble shooting, make sure you focus on the grounds. It could be a 12 volt supply problem, but my experience is it is usually a bad ground on the trailer somewhere. It could be on the pigtail connector too.

Good luck chasing it down.

j

sjm9911 mine did the same thing, Teamubr is right, my ground wire for the break away switch had been between the pinbox and frame at the factory, it took a few months to wear through

We want to travel one day to Disney Land. 2225 miles via I-10, 33 hours. Towing, lotta stops... Ouch. I think it will be air travel for that trip. I am thankful for the one day trip to WDW / Ft Wilderness. It takes us about 8 easy hours can do it faster but its nice to stop and take a break.

11 days and counting till the Fort.

We want to travel one day to Disney Land. 2225 miles via I-10, 33 hours. Towing, lotta stops... Ouch. I think it will be air travel for that trip. I am thankful for the one day trip to WDW / Ft Wilderness. It takes us about 8 easy hours can do it faster but its nice to stop and take a break.

11 days and counting till the Fort.
10 days untill we leave for the fort almost opposite your 2220 from home to FW. It will be our 2nd driving trip this year to the fort. Getting to know I-10 and all the stopping spots along the way.

1240 miles from Kinderhook NY to the Fort. We usually take about 5 days to make the trip staying 2 nights in Saint Augustine beforehand. Booked for 29 nights spring 2020.
We did 30 firt days this spring driving 2220 from arizona, never again. The weather was Bad, Bad, Very Bad both ways. Takes about 6 to 7 days but less when outrunning storms. Hope for better weather leaving on the 5th for fall fort 30 days.

We did 30 firt days this spring driving 2220 from arizona, never again. The weather was Bad, Bad, Very Bad both ways. Takes about 6 to 7 days but less when outrunning storms. Hope for better weather leaving on the 5th for fall fort 30 days.
Hope you have lots of sunshine on your Trip!

Our usual route takes us down 81, 77, 26, 95. We have had good luck so far heading down in mid March. We did however run into some snow squalls coming into Pennsylvania off of the great lakes which made things interesting. As soon as we come down the steep part of 77 in the Fancy Gap area the temps seem to come up and I worry a little less about frozen precip on the trip.

Our usual route takes us down 81, 77, 26, 95. We have had good luck so far heading down in mid March. We did however run into some snow squalls coming into Pennsylvania off of the great lakes which made things interesting. As soon as we come down the steep part of 77 in the Fancy Gap area the temps seem to come up and I worry a little less about frozen precip on the trip.
Last winter we returned west later then normal and had to stay in San Antonio for several days because I-10 was closed Ft Stockton to El Paso with snow and frozen roads. We can't put chains on the coach so we just waited it out. Another good thing about not having a schedule. We will not be so late this year hopping to be back home in southern Az. By end of first week of Dec.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter