How far in advance and which Vancouver hotel

KGmomoftwins

DIS Veteran
Just curious given the current state how far in advance would you book a Vancouver hotel pre cruise for August 2021? I’m looking at either the Fairmont pacific rim or waterfront locations for 3 nights family of 4. I’m leaning towards pacific rim because they have queen beds but are 100$ more a night than the waterfront. Do you think prices will go up between now and then? Any suggestions between the 2 hotels? Thanks!

I'm pondering the same thing - our Alaska cruise is in May, and I'm not 100% confident about anything right now, so I'm pretty much planning not to book anything until we're much much closer. I still have 4k+ tied up in a cancelled trip to South Africa... so my new motto is, last minute, last minute, last minute.

I hear you we were supposed to do Hawaii this summer thank goodness I got all money back but I know so many like yourself are still tied up this way. I’m just worried that if I wait prices will go up and I won’t be able to get what we want. Plus all the planning info I’ve read on Vancouver is you should book hotels and airfare a year out to get the best prices. Hopefully someone will have some sage advice
I'm pondering the same thing - our Alaska cruise is in May, and I'm not 100% confident about anything right now, so I'm pretty much planning not to book anything until we're much much closer. I still have 4k+ tied up in a cancelled trip to South Africa... so my new motto is, last minute, last minute, last minute.

Last year we stayed at the Pan Pacific and it was great! I keep checking the prices and 3 months before it went down and I booked!

Pacific Rim-all the way. A beautiful hotel. The turn down service... I won't spoil the surprise. Really, the bathroom alone is worth the $$. I will never regret staying there. I think I booked in Nov/Dec for a cruise the beginning of August

We loved the Fairmont Waterfront. We had a water view room, and got to watch the Wonder sail in and dock the morning of our cruise. We had room service breakfast & ate it while watching passengers disembark from the ship.

thank you! I’m leaning towards pacific rim mostly because of the queen sized beds. Good to know time wise.
QUOTE="ladyofthetramp, post: 62185380, member: 511698"]
Pacific Rim-all the way. A beautiful hotel. The turn down service... I won't spoil the surprise. Really, the bathroom alone is worth the $$. I will never regret staying there. I think I booked in Nov/Dec for a cruise the beginning of August
[/QUOTE]

I booked the Fairmont Waterfront in May 2020 for May 15-16, 2021. It is not a prepay, nor was a deposit due, and I can cancel without penalty. It was $75CAD cheaper a night than the current rate.

Personally, I would book now if it is a refundable rate, particularly one that does not require you to put down any deposit [i.e. that just needs a credit card guarantee] and that can be canceled close to the travel date [eg day before] with no penalty. That is what we have done for our Aug 2021 Alaska cruise. We plan to keep checking rates periodically and if the rate goes down we will rebook.

Many of the rates currently available at the Vancouver Fairmonts and Pan Pacific fit the above. So, no money tied up now, great flexibility, easy to cancel or change if needed.

Also, for August, depending when in August, you may be running up against a major event which has many downtown hotels already at low availability.

SW

If they need a deposit, consider your cash flow situation. Otherwise, I would book now anyways, and re-price if/when the rates go down.

Exactly.

The Fairmonts seem to have more fans (another thread, recently).

I used Hilton points for my nieces cruise; 50K points for a $400+ /night roomat the Hampton Inn across from the BC stadium. Just adults, not afraid to transport luggage via train or taxi. They seem to have a free shuttle to the Cruise Terminal (distance is 1.8 km).

We stayed at the YWCA on the same street and used the subway/train, with luggage, and teenagers. Had a six-bedded room and our own private bath.

I’ve also stayed at the Pan Pacific, AAA rate with full breakfast buffet. Saw the deal, booked, the next day unavailable when my friend checked. Just have to keep checking. Nice view of seaplanes taking off and landing, maybe the bridge. Clean, modern hotel. A bit sterile. Nice breakfast. Super convenient the morning of the cruise.

I’d stay again if the price was right Any of the above. But I’d definitely check on the Fairmont properties near the Cruise Terminal, as so many posters recommend it.

Vancouver hotels are high during cruise season. You are smart to start looking now.

Last edited:
We have two kids in their 20s who have always hated sharing a bed, so for everyone’s sanity we stayed at the Delta Suites using Marriott points. We really liked this hotel. The room was great, two queen beds in one room and a pull out couch in the other. It was walking distance to the port. The rates are great right now, with a reasonable cancellation policy so long as you don’t prepay.

thank you I always forget about rebooking if better rates come along.

Personally, I would book now if it is a refundable rate, particularly one that does not require you to put down any deposit [i.e. that just needs a credit card guarantee] and that can be canceled close to the travel date [eg day before] with no penalty. That is what we have done for our Aug 2021 Alaska cruise. We plan to keep checking rates periodically and if the rate goes down we will rebook.

Many of the rates currently available at the Vancouver Fairmonts and Pan Pacific fit the above. So, no money tied up now, great flexibility, easy to cancel or change if needed.

Also, for August, depending when in August, you may be running up against a major event which has many downtown hotels already at low availability.

SW

We stayed at the Fairmont Waterfront and loved it. If you book your room now, keep an eye on rates as you countdown to your cruise. If the rate drops for the exact room type and dates you booked, you can usually call and ask for a price adjustment. Your experience may vary of course. This goes for most hotels. This only applies if you book the room yourself and not through Disney. In years past the Fairmont Waterfront has been one of the two "Disney" hotels if you booked your pre-cruise hotel stay through DCL. You can still stay there by booking yourself (we did). In fact we were able to book Disney transportation from the airport to the hotel because it was the "Disney hotel" even though we made our hotel reservations ourselves. We did it ourselves because it was significantly cheaper then the Disney price.

If the Waterfront continues to be the Disney hotel, there will have a DCL representative in the lobby the day before and the day of the cruise to answer any questions and assist you if needed. It's a nice plus especially for first time cruisers who are nervous.

I booked Fairmont Pacific Rim mostly because they offered a great rate 1100.08 USD for 3 nights, can be cancelled, no down payment, and they have queen beds. Those beware who want to book Pan Pacific right now for next year in each room category they have several choices and only one of those can be cancelled with no down payment. You really need to read closely what you’re getting. I’m going to do as others suggest and keep watching the rates. I’m really hoping we are back to cruising next year!

We stayed at Delta Vancouver Downtown Suites (Marriot property). It was really nice and we were able to walk to the port. I would stay there again and walking distance to the port is huge!

We went down to the water early and watched her come in. One of my all time favorite things to do!

So, I booked the Vancouver Residence Inn. No, it isn't near the water, but free buffet breakfast! (In the imaginary post-Covid world I'm pretending will exist by then).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter