How far in advance would you make park reservations?

cometdad2010

Mouseketeer
COVID has brought about an unusual situation. Park reservations are available through Dec 31, 2021. We're planning an Oct 2021 trip and will be buying either a 7-day or 8-day tickets. Dining reservations can't be made until 60 days out, but I'm worried that parks will fill up quickly since it is available. I wasn't planning to actually buy the tickets until next summer or so... I wasn't in a rush... but now I'm wondering if I should buy them sooner rather than later and book the parks, just so that we're guaranteed a park day each day we want it?

I'm really hoping that COVID will be less of a concern, capacity will be increased, and park reservations won't be nearly as limited as they are now -- is that wishful thinking? What would you do?

WDW’s 50th anniversary is Oct 1, 2021. I’d expect that date, and others around it to quickly “sell out” as many want to be there.

If you said August 2021, I’d say you can wait, but October may be different.

I would probably buy sooner than later because what happened this year is the suspended ticket sales and people got caught with nothing.

I have read what people have done is book a cash package with tickets through WDW for the same dates, which only requires a $200 deposit. Then you can get those reservations and hold off until a little later,

Once you buy the new tickets, cancel the package. The only drawback is this plan does not insulate you if the ticket sales stopped again.

I would probably buy sooner than later because what happened this year is the suspended ticket sales and people got caught with nothing.

I have read what people have done is book a cash package with tickets through WDW for the same dates, which only requires a $200 deposit. Then you can get those reservations and hold off until a little later,

Once you buy the new tickets, cancel the package. The only drawback is this plan does not insulate you if the ticket sales stopped again.

That's clever! So I would then cancel the room reservation, without cancelling the park reservations, after I buy tickets? Does the deposit get returned, do you know? I've never stayed on cash.

WDW’s 50th anniversary is Oct 1, 2021. I’d expect that date, and others around it to quickly “sell out” as many want to be there.

If you said August 2021, I’d say you can wait, but October may be different.

I know. We're planning Oct 19-27th. I'm not counting on excitement dying down... Oct 1 would be even tougher, but I think the whole time around October will be difficult.

That's clever! So I would then cancel the room reservation, without cancelling the park reservations, after I buy tickets? Does the deposit get returned, do you know? I've never stayed on cash.

Once you have the new tickets,-and attach them, the reservations don’t go away. Yes, the deposit is returned if you cancel about 45 days in advance? But when you go to book you’d want to check that.

Can’t take credit for the idea. I read it from someone else!!!!

Once you have the new tickets,-and attach them, the reservations don’t go away. Yes, the deposit is returned if you cancel about 45 days in advance? But when you go to book you’d want to check that.

Can’t take credit for the idea. I read it from someone else!!!!

I can confirm this happened - I had booked park reservations in January 2021 on APs that I canceled back in August, and they're still there on MDE (the park reservations); I just bought new APs today (long story).

OP: Maybe get the reservation for October 1, but I was told on multiple occasions that if you are staying on site, you'll get a park reservation somewhere. Maybe not each park on the day you choose, but you'll get space. Can you imagine the PR nightmare if you had WDW novices who booked a package w tickets (or just booked lodging thinking they'd buy tickets later), didn't know about park reservations, and then went to WDW and were shut out of the parks?

I can confirm this happened - I had booked park reservations in January 2021 on APs that I canceled back in August, and they're still there on MDE (the park reservations); I just bought new APs today (long story).
They haven't been cancelling park reservations at all - at least not currently. Mine are still showing for a January 2021 trip that has been cancelled. for quite a while. We currently have no trips scheduled and no tickets linked to MDE. (Waiting for APs to go back on sale).

I'd buy sooner due to both Park Pass limits (especially for the 50th) and the fact that ticket prices will likely increase at some point. We did this earlier this week when they were released.

So I have DVC resies for Sept 1-8. Do you think I need to buy tix and make park resies ASAP or have some time? We have 2 day tix (for 4 of us) for this Nov and now 2 of the guests (my DDs) might not go so I will need to use their 2 tix to upgrade to tix for DH and I to use Sept 2021. WOuld rather upgrade all 4 tix to 2 APs for us but that is not available right now. So I want to wait a bit.

If I have to book park ressies at each park and them Disney starts selling Park Hoppers can I change my tickets to PH

Next year % of allowable park reservations (supposedly 25% max occupancy now) is unknown. If a vaccine is out, expect they will increase both that.

Factor in the FOMO for anniversary & pent up demand, that likely still won’t be enough to accommodate all who want to visit.

That said, we visited end of Sept into the first week of Oct onsite. Other than weekend dates, was able to swap park reservations out up until a week prior.

MGM weekends disappeared a bit earlier, two+ weeks out. Epcot followed shortly thereafter

However, the weekend we did leave, for resort guests...

Noticed all reservations were gone for the two week period that covered Columbus Day.

If I have to book park ressies at each park and them Disney starts selling Park Hoppers can I change my tickets to PH

Disney is selling park hoppers for 2021 as they hope they can add back in then.

But I can’t imagine them not allowing that upgrade.

We will be traveling Oct.19-24. I just booked us at Fort Wilderness with tickets and will make park reservations soon. We will only be in the parks for 2 days since we are moving to Universal for 3 nights.
I don’t know if we will keep Fort Wilderness or book our home resort of SSR when it opens because we are taking a big trip in 2022 and might just use all of our points that trip but I feel better having something booked.

I am so excited to be getting in on the craziness that Oct. I haven’t told DH it’s the 50th celebration yet. He isn’t a fan of crowds. I might just recommend he stays in the resort for our MK day.

I would recommend making park reservations as soon as possible based on the timeframe in which you’re traveling. I had heard about the package trick, but I didn’t want to take any chances or have to worry about having to cancel or take a spot that could go to someone else if a particular resort sells out.

My travel dates are 9/23/21 - 10/8/21. Bought 10-day base tickets and made all of our park reservations yesterday. I was relieved to get us into MK on 10/1 and glad I was able tick a few to-do items off my list.

I wasn't planning to actually buy the tickets until next summer or so... I wasn't in a rush... but now I'm wondering if I should buy them sooner rather than later and book the parks, just so that we're guaranteed a park day each day we want it?
I would definitely buy now and book your park days. In the time between now and when you would buy your tickets the only risk is that park ticket prices will increase. So really no harm in getting them now. Even if your plans change then you could still use the value of those tickets down the road.

I’m going in May and September but was really hoping to wait and buy an AP... I hope the park reservations don’t get filled any time soon.

Our AP expires in May, so we have park reservations through May. If I can't buy a Florida Resident Weekday pass after this one expires, we'll just visit the resort on our points.

Park availability seems partially dependent on which park you want to go to. I was looking yesterday, since I'm getting close to 60 days, and LOTS of days over the next month or two show partial availability. I pity the poor people trying to get DHS. I'm thinking of not going there since it implies to me that DHS must be crowded, and besides, RoR doesn't interest me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter