How far off is a gay princess movie?

I think there is a lot of seeing what we want to. For representation sake I'm in the camp that until it is called out everything is just fan theory. Not against anyone who sees it that way I just have seen fan theories come to bite people in the butt when the writers finally decide to call something out and then people are upset. I do think Disney is toeing the line in many places right now and hope they take the full jump soon. If anything the Disney Junior and Disney channel shows show they don't care about the boy cotts that much.
Agreed - and also individual TV episodes don't cost as much to make and market. Feature films, OTOH... (Which in some ways makes New LeFou quite a big deal)

I still feel LaFou / Stanley weren't well written representation, but at least it wasn't a case of "Bury Your Gays" and they were offered a Bartok-esque level of turning against the villain for love.

I hope Disney continues to normalize families of all genders and races. I suspect that they've got to tread a fine line not to alienate everyone, yet still keep pushing the envelope. There are certainly enough princesses out there whose orientation simply isn't discussed, who could all be potential gay princesses. Now that I think about it, though, I am probably coming around to your view that it will probably be years. Not because people aren't "ready" for a gay princess, but because right now, the princess' orientation would end up being THE story, that would swallow any other message or theme in the movie. And probably also run counter to normalizing non-white-cis-hetero families.

Yeah, the main issue seems to be conservative fans, who unfortunately...will always exist and aggressively challenge this kind of inclusivity on principle. I think Elsa's is a surefire case where the main themes of the movie (Elsa's struggle with her depression and anxiety, self-isolation, etc.) parallel a "coming out story" and revealing Elsa to be LGBT in a brief, one-off moment would feel pretty natural...but definitely 100% out of the question given where Disney is at right now. I'd be totally fine with a story that largely just about a character being gay (I'd also be totally cool if it was about a gay character whose sexuality had nothing to do with the story, too! Both are cool in my book) but don't see either in Disney's future.

With Disney, it seems like rocking the boat just isn't their method of running a business. All the complaints about the lack of diversity led to Moana, Coco and others, and I'm loving all the new films we're getting–but I think Disney only bothered to do so to avoid looking "behind the times." My guess is that one day (maybe like we're all thinking, a few decades ahead) they'll start getting the same pressure to include LGBT people. I hope so, though!

Also @ToliBera I'm pretty much in the same camp. I don't think LGBT kids (or even LGBT Disney fans) will look at live-action BatB and feel like "Hey, that's me, I'm a part of something I love," and that's my main hope for the future here. This version of LeFou ended up being a way more compelling character than I expected going in, but he's still not really someone kids are going to look up to or want to emulate. Plus the "gay" element was so subtle, it'd be easy to read the Gaston/LeFou interactions in the same way as the original movie...w/ LeFou just admiring Gaston as a person.

But I'm glad this is at least something Disney feels they need to start including in their movies...Baby steps and all that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!