How fast do you drive with your travel trailer?

jolynne28

Mouseketeer
My husband and I don’t agree on this. I think we should keep it around 60 mph, but he wants to stay closer to 70. We leave in the morning for the fort. We have a 30 ft TT, and and F-150 w/tow package. We’re good on payload and weight.
do our tires on the TT show what speed they’re rated for?

My husband and I don’t agree on this. I think we should keep it around 60 mph, but he wants to stay closer to 70. We leave in the morning for the fort. We have a 30 ft TT, and and F-150 w/tow package. We’re good on payload and weight.
do our tires on the TT show what speed they’re rated for?
I'm with you. Keeping it around 60 is safer and will give you better fuel milage.

My best fuel mileage is around 68 mph on the interstate, over 70 my mileage drops, I try to keep it between 65 and 68. I have replaced original trailer tires with 10 ply so speed rating is not a issue. ETA: Pulling a 35' fifth wheel with a 2008 Chevy 2500 duramax.

Most newer tires have better speed ratings , like 83 mph or so. Have a good trip! I find a lot of the speed depends on the roads, wind, amount of trucks passing you. I usally stay between 60 and 70 mph. Tbh, im the slowest thing on the road. Less speed will mean more time traveled. Not that important if your closer to your destination, could add some time if you are far away.

We typically stay in the 62-65 range for no other reason than that seems to be the sweet spot for mileage. Our previous truck (2500HD diesel) and trailer didnt have the instant MPG readouts. I bought a Scangage for it and really learned how to drive for the best mileage. This was especially relevant when diesel was flirting in the $5 gallon range for a little while. With traffic being as bad as it is in most places and the lack of respect towards longer/bigger vehicles I wouldnt want to go faster than 65 anyways.

We've had a mh for several years, but towed trailers many miles beforehand. We stayed in the 62-65 mph average. Dh felt like one of the main safety things was keeping good tires all way round - not going by wear, but age and condition. We kept them garaged, so they looked good, but changed them every 3-5 years depending on usage.
He uses a heat sensor all around our tires at every stop also.
Had a blowout once with our fifth wheel, and it wasn't fun!! ☹ (was defective, not old)

Y’all are great, thanks. Apparently we have upgraded tires, not stock. We’re going to keep it around 65, assuming that’s doable with traffic and weather.
We are doing the unthinkable, this is actually our maiden voyage. 😬 my parents have a class a and we will be meeting up with them early on end following, so that makes me feel better.
But I can’t get excited about the dis until we are hooked up at the fort, planning/packing/traveling has stressed me out more than I ever imagined.

Most newer tires have better speed ratings , like 83 mph or so. Have a good trip! I find a lot of the speed depends on the roads, wind, amount of trucks passing you. I usally stay between 60 and 70 mph. Tbh, im the slowest thing on the road. Less speed will mean more time traveled. Not that important if your closer to your destination, could add some time if you are far away.

We are at 1500 miles, we take 3 1/2 days to get to WDW, around 400 to 450 miles a day. That's long enough for us anymore. Traveled with the DS and family July 2018, they had time restrictions so drove 670 first day 650 second day and 200 third day. Tired when we arrived at the fort, told the DW I wouldn't travel like that again.

I did about the same on my trip down , 450 miles a day roughly. 2 and a half days down. Thats Long enough with bathroom breaks, food and fuel. Add a stopover and add into that, the setup breakdown of the rig ( not much but takes time). Hit some traffic on the way and its a long day.

I tend to sick with 60-65 mph group. I have gone over that a few times, but I feel more comfortable in that range. Above that and I tend feel the trailer movement more (or at least mind thinks I feel it more).

I have a F-150 with with 5000lb trailer.

We are splitting the drive in half, 400 miles the first day then 350 the next. We’re making good time but daylight savings and losing an hour will make setup a little more difficult I think.

thats what we do, 350 to 400 a day, also FYI speed depends on the tires, if you have ST, (trailer tires), 60 mph rating, if you have LT, (light truck) 65-70mph. Make sure pressures are correct and you are not overloaded. We use a TPMS, very helpful on pressures

I set the cruise on 72. That is 70-71 on the GPS speed. I have a 42ft 5er with "G" rated tires, rated to 75 mph. A lot depends on your tow combo (the 1500 with a 30ft TT sounds like a good combo) AND your comfort level. I prefer to stay with the flow of traffic, instead of having cars stack up behind me or come whizzing past and chopping off my nose.

I also will tow 750-1000 miles in a day. I prefer 600-800 on long trips, but usually will haul straight through from the Fort to home (1004 miles). I can carry 100 gallons of fuel, so trips less than 800 miles, I don't stop unless someone needs to use the BR or we want something to eat. That saves quite a bit of time not dealing with truck stops.

I am not the norm though. I have been towing trailers all over the country for years and I'm use to the miles. When not towing, I'm the one doing 10-15 over, so slowing to the speed limit with the trailer seems like we are crawling.

j

Last edited:
We are nearly there!!! It’s been an adventure for sure, but couldn’t be more excited to be less than an hour away! We stayed at a state park last night and unfortunately arrived after dark in the rain, so that was hot mess. It was also freezing, so not an enjoyable first night in the trailer. I ended up with our 1 & 3 year olds in the bed and DH took the lower bunk. Neither of us got much sleep.

just saw we are in the 800 loop with my parents, I think at adjoining sites, which is nice. I don’t know much about the different loops but I think this one looks good.

We are nearly there!!! It’s been an adventure for sure, but couldn’t be more excited to be less than an hour away! We stayed at a state park last night and unfortunately arrived after dark in the rain, so that was hot mess. It was also freezing, so not an enjoyable first night in the trailer. I ended up with our 1 & 3 year olds in the bed and DH took the lower bunk. Neither of us got much sleep.

just saw we are in the 800 loop with my parents, I think at adjoining sites, which is nice. I don’t know much about the different loops but I think this one looks good.

they are all good, enjoy the fort

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!