How formal?

davidmolliesmum

i must resist chocolate... i must resist chocolate
We are doing a 10night cruise on LOS , slightly concerned about the formal nights, my husband is a car mechanic, spends his days elbow deep in oil and grease, doesn't own a tie let alone a suit!!
Does he HAVE to wear a suit/tie?
Anyone with any advice?

You don't have to. It's fun to dress up though, as long as you get clothes that truly fit. Nothing's worse than clothes that are too tight or are scratchy, etc, so if you get something make sure it feels nice and fits.

Dinner has gotten a lot less formal on RCI since my first cruise back in 2001 when tuxes were a common sight on formal nights. We did two cruises on IOS last year and the majority of cruisers were not wearing a suit and tie on formal night. There will be a large range in formality in the dining room, so don't stress too much. Chinos or dress pants with a long-sleeved button down shirt would not be out of place.

Last edited:

Dinner has gotten a lot less formal on RCI since my first cruise back in 2001 when tuxes were a common sight on formal nights. We did two cruises on IOS last year and the majority of cruisers were not wearing a suit and tie on formal night. There will be a large range in formality in the dining room, so don't stress too much. Chinos or dress pants with a long-sleeved button down shirt would not be out of place.

I second this quote. No Worries.:)

Or less. We sailed the Liberty last November and had MyTime Dining for the first time ever. In the dining room on formal night there were more khakis and short-sleeved shirts than there were suits (let alone tuxes) within our sight lines. It seems many people wore what they'd wear on any night to the MDR. It didn't seem to bother anybody and you certainly won't be turned away as long as you don't violate the basic dress code that says no torn jeans or tank tops for men.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter