How good is raised garden beds?

mickey44

Earning My Ears
Does anyone use raised garden bed?

We are trying to make proper use of our backyard. The backyard was too bushy and covered in weed. Before the fall we decided to clean up the backyard.

Next spring my wife wants to start a vegetable garden. I didn't like that idea first. I thought the small space will become very dirty. I remembered my mother's vegetable garden. It was beneficial, but today we don't have much time to give proper care.

Then, I read a blog on this. I heard that raised garden bed is the popular technique used in small spaces. http://inthebackyard.ca/garden-beds-beneficial/ It is also told that raised bed is beneficial in controlling weeds, easy to maintain and water, and give high yields.

I would like to know more about its preparation and construction. I heard that it is easy to build and we can build with almost anything. If everything falls right, I want to complete building it before the fall.

I appreciate your thoughts and advice on building raised beds for cultivating vegetables and fruits.

Thanks in advance/

Last edited:
I hope you went through with the project. We have 10" raised beds in Cape May NJ. The regular soil is sand and we filled our boxes with soil from a nursery and had an excellent yield. We had cucumbers, lots of sorts of tomatoes, parsley, green peppers, zucchini and some other herbs.

This is our second season using the beds, and so far what has been planted looks great! We also have some "volunteers " mostly basil and parsley.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!