How hard will the restaurants stick to age?

gopherit

I'm not in the book, you know.
On our next WDW trip, I will have an 11 and 10 yr old. I may as well take out a loan for dining, thanks to the changes in what is classified "adult". We don't eat out a lot (we actually USE that villa kitchen some call a "prop", LOL!) But when we do, it's the bigger event type meals -- like buffets at Chef M's or Crystal P or Ohana, or of course Hoop Dee Doo Revue (THAT one is gonna hurt!) I am debating whether I will either curtail some of the dining out altogether and do more villa-fare until my kids are old enough to actually EAT that much moolah's worth (they DON'T -- maybe the teen years will fix that) or eat at fewer of these "event" type meals where you are priced by age (versus purely what's on the menu).

When I registered at HHI many weeks ago for the two "event "meals there (the BBQ and Shrimp Boil), I gave the CM my kids' exact ages. (I am not an age-squeaker, LOL!) By Disney's new rules, both of those meals classified as "adult" for my eldest (now 10). I did notice at check in for the Shrimp Boil the spreadsheet they were using listed kids as "11 and under" - maybe it was an "old sheet" they were using? I know some others have posted that they were in fact charged the full $$ for their 10 yr old -- so I have a feeling this was done at CM discretion in our case, and others have been not so fortunate. Or was it done becasue I called so far ahead (before the change?) Perhaps only Shadow knows.

I hadn't realized this 9 and under clause for dining was all-encompassing, and then started to realize what that might mean on my food bill for TWO kids that age that eat like fleas next summer. YIKES. It doesn't seem like they mind if you order a kid's counter service meal -- and my main concern is the event-stuff or buffets that come with the higher price tags (often double the price for adults).

An aside -- I just had a birthday party about 4 weeks ago for 25 nine yr old boys. If they are considered a random sampling, then Disney is making out like bandits on this change. How much pizza/hot dogs/nugget could a kid that age/size eat anyway? :confused3

Oh well. If nothing else, I can certainly see myself being able to justify that AP and DDE now.... :rolleyes: Where's a DVC dining plan when you need one...

I feel your pain! We were lucky in that the ages changed when our middle son would have not qualified anymore at the 11 years. Our daughter, who is 3 years older than her brother, eats like a bird, but our middle son can eat his father under the table! We always laughed and figured we had to pay adult price for our daughter....but we only had to pay the kids price for our son! It evened out! I think to pay $25 for a dinner at O'Hana's for a 10 year old is way too much. The "average" 10 year old would not come close to eating that much.

I guess my only suggestion is to not eat at the per person type of restaurants. We tend to split meal often (except for our son.....)

The meal-splitting suggestion is a good one. My wife and I often split a meal and, say, pay for an extra salad or cup of coffee. Your kids can do the same if you pair up the light-eater with the heavy-eater. Be aware, however, that you won't be allowed to do this at the buffets.

I think you are always better off going to the restaurants than to feature meals like O'Hana or Hoop de Doo etc.

We are having this concern, too. Ds is only 3, so not too worried there. But, DNeice is 10, yet eats nothing. We have planned CP, CM, CRT, WCC and RFC. RFC is no biggie as we have gift cards for that, but we have been wondering if we should cut out one or some of the sit downs. When this first came out, they were saying that, if the ADR was booked before July 1st, they would be treated as a child. Is that still true? I've budgeted as if she'll be charged as an adult regardless, though. They do have the ages so they'll know she's ten. But, she looks 8 and only wears size 8! Maybe some will see how little she eats and charge the child price. But, I think we'll have issues at the buffets. I think CRT was the only one we had to put $$ down on- will they homor her as a child? Sorry- don't want to take over, just had the same questions!

There were no considerations for us. I made PS's the beginning of June (before the age change) and in July we were charged adult $$ for our daughter who eats like a flea! We were told it did not matter when the PS's were made. Sorry...

I also heard, but don't know for sure, that they will charge you to share meals now.

We were at WDW in June, before the age change. Our daughter was 12 at the time and I was amazed that most places didn't ask her age. When we went to O'Hana's they didn't ask her age, when the bill was brought I informed the waiter that she was 12 and he said "Well she didn't eat enough to make me want to go back and change it". I don't believe they charged her the adult rate at Boma either. She was charged for an adult meal at Chef Mickey's and that was fine. I think until her appetite picks up, we'll probably go to other restaurants where she can order off the menu - rather than paying a buffet price.

Hmmmm. I'm beginning to think I'd do better to invest my HoopDeeDooDollars into Cirque De Soliel tickets! I know the kids will be really intent on doing at least a few of the character meals - invariably these are all buffet, aren't they, priced by age? Ugh. And DH will insist on Ohana... but we may come out halfway ok there anyway -- my middle son says if we go there, he just wants to order a hot dog or some such thing from Kona. I've heard they would do this -- if so, that might be a fix, of sorts...

We really LIKE the buffets, too -- it's so nice to know the food is ready, and there's something that appeals to everyone. Oh phooey, Disney.... you're putting kinks in my plans! :guilty:

Like I said before... I am getting closer and closer to justifying that AP and DDE card!

We just got back last week and we had to pay adult prices for my 11 yo son at Buffets. At regular Table Service Meals, he was able to eat off of the kid's menu so that helped.

mom23boys said:
We just got back last week and we had to pay adult prices for my 11 yo son at Buffets. At regular Table Service Meals, he was able to eat off of the kid's menu so that helped.

Yeah, I'm positive they will do the same to my soon to be 11 yr old son next summer. He is very tall (has always been about 90-100 percentile in height) and LOOKS like he could eat a lot, LOL, though he really doesn't. And what he does eat isn't the "pricey" stuff -- mostly, he's into the fruits, veggies, and breads... not a big meat eater at ALL. Middle son will turn 10 next year, and while he is smaller in size and will only have JUST turned 10 the month prior, I am too much a purist to tell him to be "9" one month longer. If a CM want's to "make him 9 for a day" based on what they see him eat (as was the case for gracelrm's dd), I'd take it -- but I can't see me telling him to "lie" about his age if asked. It will probably only get me into trouble later when he's a teen, LOL, and decides Mom okayed a white lie once -- how about 2 for 2? :rolleyes:

Sounds like they are enforcing this and I'll have a minimum of three, possibly 4, adults in my party. Oy vey. :earseek:

I agree with OP, if they are going to change the ages to make 10 year olds "adults" at TS, with implementing the dining plan--they should at least offer it to DVC'ers. I know we will be skipping alot of TS, utilizing the kitchen, eating off-site alot more!! and bringing our own snacks!!

I am worried about 9 yo DS who looks 12 and is almost as tall as my 12 yo. DB. Will they question him? He has a kids ticket. Do I bring a birth certificate? :confused3

dianeschlicht said:
I think you are always better off going to the restaurants than to feature meals like O'Hana or Hoop de Doo etc.
::yes:: Exactly my thoughts!

When we had one (or for a bit there, BOTH) kids under three, we ALWAYS did the buffets....it was easier, and cheaper! We could get a little bit of what they liked and not get charged for an entire meal (which they would never eat). Now, however, they are 3 and 4, (and Disney with their vast amount of collected data on our family knows this!) so we will NOT be doing the buffets, unless it's a special occasion (like a birthday breakfast with Cinderella at the castle). We used to do all the character meals to guarantee a character sighting and reduce the amount of time spent waiting in lines for autographs, but it's just not worth it if I have to pay $10-12 each for both kids. It's much more economical to eat at the regular restaurants....where the kids' meals are $5.99 ::yes:: They still never finish those, so it's not like they're going hungry. And if they want something different I'll share some of mine. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter