How has your cable cutting experience been?

Yep. I haven't had cable since 2006 but it's been pretty sharply rising the last 3 years. And I work from home as a web developer so there's not much I can do about it right now -- I can't just cut it out. There was talk of an alternate provider coming to town at some point (called Greenlight) for some competition but who knows when/if that will happen. Spectrum offered to upgrade me to 400mbps internet for an additional $20/month (the 79.99 is for the standard 100mbps) -- I'm not quite ready to bite that bullet just yet. But I guess at least I'm not limited by monthly data usage or anything like that. But when we moved into the house 8 years ago we were paying 44.99/month for the same internet service.
Where I'm at a the company that bought the old Verizon lines, Frontier was recently bought out by Ziply fiber. They came through my neighborhood wired for fiber, last I heard Spectrum had lost about 65% of the 554 homes, lower prices and you could cut your bill for the same 100mb or still save money and get 1000mb. That was enough for Spectrum to wake up. One of my staff said they bumped his internet speed up to the 400mb and lowered his bill by $10 - basically erasing the rate increase. So there is hope! Competition is a good thing.

Where I'm at a the company that bought the old Verizon lines, Frontier was recently bought out by Ziply fiber. They came through my neighborhood wired for fiber, last I heard Spectrum had lost about 65% of the 554 homes, lower prices and you could cut your bill for the same 100mb or still save money and get 1000mb. That was enough for Spectrum to wake up. One of my staff said they bumped his internet speed up to the 400mb and lowered his bill by $10 - basically erasing the rate increase. So there is hope! Competition is a good thing.

That's awesome! I'm semi kinda rural and Verizon never made it out here with FiOS, and as far as I understand they have stopped adding new lines in our area, so I'm just going to hold out hope this Greenlight company makes it to town -- they are as close as Rochester NY (I'm about an hour from there). Right now the only alternative is satellite which is not going to happen.

Yep. I haven't had cable since 2006 but it's been pretty sharply rising the last 3 years. And I work from home as a web developer so there's not much I can do about it right now -- I can't just cut it out. There was talk of an alternate provider coming to town at some point (called Greenlight) for some competition but who knows when/if that will happen. Spectrum offered to upgrade me to 400mbps internet for an additional $20/month (the 79.99 is for the standard 100mbps) -- I'm not quite ready to bite that bullet just yet. But I guess at least I'm not limited by monthly data usage or anything like that. But when we moved into the house 8 years ago we were paying 44.99/month for the same internet service.
Yikes--I'm lucky we have Verizon and Comcast to choose from. My gigabit connection is $90/month. 400mbps is $70.

wow that’s a high price for not so good internet.

I have 150 plan. I barely use that much. But the next lowest tier will impact me streaming 4K, which requires a solid 25. There isn't anything in the middle that I can drop down to unfortunately.

This has been the response. If you don't want our cable, we'll charge you more for Internet.
That's normal. Services are more expensive individually. You get a discount when you bundle multiple services. We previously had cable, internet, and phone. We never used the phone service but it was actually cheaper to have it than to not have it.

That's normal. Services are more expensive individually. You get a discount when you bundle multiple services. We previously had cable, internet, and phone. We never used the phone service but it was actually cheaper to have it than to not have it.

We have phone with our comcast internet for the same reason. Never hooked it up. They are also our only option which annoys me when we're less than 20 miles from dt seattle, not like we're in the middle of nowhere.

We have phone with our comcast internet for the same reason. Never hooked it up. They are also our only option which annoys me when we're less than 20 miles from dt seattle, not like we're in the middle of nowhere.

This is the problem. It's as if the ISPs decided to claim certain parts of the US and not compete. I'm in Cox land now. I had previously been in Comcast land.

There isn't enough competition.

This is the problem. It's as if the ISPs decided to claim certain parts of the US and not compete. I'm in Cox land now. I had previously been in Comcast land.

There isn't enough competition.

I think it's a Verizon line that ends at our shared driveway. At some point they were/are supposed to continue it down the street but I don't know. We're on a main 2 lane street, not tucked away in a neighborhood either, which makes it more frustrating as they just stopped, no city line or any reason why they'd pick the middle between the two street lights to stop, especially as there are more houses to the south of where it stops than to the north. :confused3 I think part of it is comcast owns the lines and won't let anyone else on them, probably the same with Cox, so whomever has to put their own lines in. But I do agree that there are def places that get to pick and choose, even with other utilities, and it drives me bonkers that it's not that way all over.

Well, I did it. No more DirectTV. We are saving $100/month even when you factor in the services we are subscribing to. We did find we were missing "live" TV as it is nice to be able to see local news once in a while (not too often - MAN is that depressing!). Luckily I was able to get local and network channels (and an awful lot of just garbage programming) with a digital antenna. Thanks to all here for the encouragement.
Now a question; Has anyone found a way to record content after "cutting the cord"? It feels like a step back about 20 years in technology as the live, OTA content you would have to tune into - I can't see how it would be able ot do that automatically like a DVR. Believe it or not, I still own an operable VCR - will probably go that route if I really need to.

Well, I did it. No more DirectTV. We are saving $100/month even when you factor in the services we are subscribing to. We did find we were missing "live" TV as it is nice to be able to see local news once in a while (not too often - MAN is that depressing!). Luckily I was able to get local and network channels (and an awful lot of just garbage programming) with a digital antenna. Thanks to all here for the encouragement.
Now a question; Has anyone found a way to record content after "cutting the cord"? It feels like a step back about 20 years in technology as the live, OTA content you would have to tune into - I can't see how it would be able ot do that automatically like a DVR. Believe it or not, I still own an operable VCR - will probably go that route if I really need to.

You can get OTA DVRs. I don't use one but had looked at them a while back.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cn...s-amazon-fire-tv-recast-tivo-airtv-and-tablo/
I use an AirTV box so that I did not have to run cat5 cables over to the bedroom (and we can watch local news on the app while we are away), and use a Homerun TV tuner with our basement projector. I don't have DVR functionality so can't comment on what ones work best.

Now a question; Has anyone found a way to record content after "cutting the cord"?
We switched to Sling. They included 10 hours of DVR storage which they just upgraded to 50 hours. That's all part of the $30/month charge, not an extra fee. That doesn't help for anything on the local channels but, as mentioned, you can get a DVR for that.

We switched to Sling. They included 10 hours of DVR storage which they just upgraded to 50 hours. That's all part of the $30/month charge, not an extra fee. That doesn't help for anything on the local channels but, as mentioned, you can get a DVR for that.

I asked about the DVR experience back on the first few pages and don't think I ever got a response.
Do any of the services offer a similar experience to my FIOS hard drive DVR? Can i record something like a football game and start watching it an hour in and skip commercials, halftime, etc? Also is the storage only for a certain time? When I looked at them a year or two ago, you could only keep something for 90 days.

I asked about the DVR experience back on the first few pages and don't think I ever got a response.
Do any of the services offer a similar experience to my FIOS hard drive DVR? Can i record something like a football game and start watching it an hour in and skip commercials, halftime, etc? Also is the storage only for a certain time? When I looked at them a year or two ago, you could only keep something for 90 days.

On Sling, if it's an ESPN game at least, you can't start watching your recording til it's over, or they put you at the current time (maybe someone smarter than me could do this, but I can't)...but if it's fully recorded, you can watch and fast forward through ALMOST every commercial (sometimes, there's an ad they won't let you, but it's rare) and halftime...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!