How is ABD being with refunding deposits.

DISNEYWITHCHILDREN

Mouseketeer
I have a trip at the end of August for Utah/Arizona. I am fully aware of the non refundable deposit. However because of the current situation there is no way my family will travel. I have no interest in moving my deposit-has anyone had success with having the deposit refunded.

No you will loose your deposit. I have a Boston Trip in early August. If you were NOT a placehdolder, then yes you can move your trip without penalty. If you simply want your money back - no can do. I would wait it out. Although a trip like Arizona etc. has more open air etc. vs. crowded city or park. You might be ok. If it is a case of you simply not feeling comfortable, I would move the trip but wait until you are right at your PIF date

I had a PIF in April and another one today (for an August trip). I have not called yet for today's PIF (will do it this afternoon). When I called in April, they placed my deposit in "displacement" status which means I have until December 31, 2020 to book another trip with that deposit. By putting it in "displacement" status, it means I can still apply any discounts available at that point for the trip I am interested in. I was hoping my August trip would have been canceled at this point, but it is not, so, when I call later, I am hoping they will put that deposit in displacement as well. The typical option is you can put the deposit in a "placeholder" status, but when you go to re-book, you cannot take advantage of discounts. At least with "displacement", you can still get a possible discount on a re-booked trip. The only exception to the non-refundable deposit are for trips cancelled within 14 days of initial booking or if you booked the trip after March 13 and through June 30, they are allowing fully refundable deposits until the PIF date. If you booked prior to March 13, the deposit is non-refundable. Personally, I would just wait until your PIF date and call then to see what your options are as they may change within the next few weeks.

Yes, as the others have said, ABD is being very accommodating about moving dates, but are currently only allowing refunds if *they* cancel the trip. It's unlikely they're going to cancel for August at this point, as no-one knows for sure what will be going on in August. The thing I'd recommend is checking things like the hotels you are supposed to stay at, and the National Parks, etc, you are visiting. If any of them announce that they are closed through your date in August, then it's likely that ABD will have to cancel. It seems at this point they are really basing it on what's going on at your destination for the time period of your trip.

Sayhello

I just wanted to update my response as I just got off the phone regarding paying my PIF which was due today for the August 9 Rhine River Cruise. Unlike my July SoCal/DL, I was not offered "displacement" status for my deposit. My two options were 1) changing my reservation now, or 2) putting my deposit into "placeholder" status. The vacationista said "displacement" was only offered to guests whose trips were outright canceled or to guests who had trips scheduled in July - "displacement" was not extended past July trip dates. I took the "placeholder" status, which means I have 2 years from my original booking date to book another trip, but cannot take advantage of any discounts. It sounds like, at this point, paying in full, changing dates or moving deposits into placeholder status are the only options available.

I just wanted to update my response as I just got off the phone regarding paying my PIF which was due today for the August 9 Rhine River Cruise. Unlike my July SoCal/DL, I was not offered "displacement" status for my deposit. My two options were 1) changing my reservation now, or 2) putting my deposit into "placeholder" status. The vacationista said "displacement" was only offered to guests whose trips were outright canceled or to guests who had trips scheduled in July - "displacement" was not extended past July trip dates. I took the "placeholder" status, which means I have 2 years from my original booking date to book another trip, but cannot take advantage of any discounts. It sounds like, at this point, paying in full, changing dates or moving deposits into placeholder status are the only options available.
This has been my experience as well. We’ve been trying to decide if we should switch on opening day or wait on Disney.

Thank you. This is what I am afraid of-not many share my fears about Covid19 and not happy that it has not just been canceled.

What happens if you haven't PIF (due June 8 for my October Egypt trip) but you have purchased and paid for airfare through ABD. I am leaning toward a placeholder, but don't know what they would do about the airfare.

Thank you. This is what I am afraid of-not many share my fears about Covid19 and not happy that it has not just been canceled.

ABD seems to only be canceling if government authorities have outright travel restrictions for the dates of travel. They are canceling river cruises a little sooner than other trips only because Amawaterways provides the ships and crew for those trips and Ama has been far ahead of the curve in canceling their sailings. It seems most government authorities are hesitant in provide solid dates for re-opening hotels, borders, etc. I think the bright side, for me anyway, is I now have until January 2022 to make a decision for a new trip which means I can even book into 2023 if they have dates released at that time. It gives me a long time to see how this all plays out and make a better decision for my family. I know it's not as good as getting a cash refund, but it was certainly better than losing my deposit altogether.

What happens if you haven't PIF (due June 8 for my October Egypt trip) but you have purchased and paid for airfare through ABD. I am leaning toward a placeholder, but don't know what they would do about the airfare.
We are also on an October ABD Egypt trip. My ds isn't comfortable traveling until there is a vaccine; one leg of our flights was already cancelled (we were able to re-book). I will likely move the deposit to "displacement" status and possibly put it on one of the NZ 2022 trips.

You will loose the airfare unless ABD Cancels trip

We are booked on a September Egypt trip. I don’t understand how ABD has yet to cancel. My understanding is that each country will require 15 day quarantines. So how can foreign travel be possible? Our travel agent said we cannot move our dates without penalty.

Last edited:
We are booked on a September Egypt trip. I don’t understand how ABD has yet to cancel. My understanding is that each country will require 15 day quarantines. So how can foreign travel be possibly? Our travel agent said we cannot move our dates without penalty.
No one knows for sure, but perhaps ABD is hoping that Egypt will have removed any travel restrictions they have in place by the time September rolls around.

Sayhello

We are booked on a September Egypt trip. I don’t understand how ABD has yet to cancel. My understanding is that each country will require 15 day quarantines. So how can foreign travel be possibly? Our travel agent said we cannot move our dates without penalty.

When I called ABD yesterday regarding our August 9 Rhine Cruise (yesterday was our PIF), I was given the option of moving our trip or putting our deposit into placeholder status without any penalty.

No one knows for sure, but perhaps ABD is hoping that Egypt will have removed any travel restrictions they have in place by the time September rolls around.

Sayhello

I think it would be absolutely disastrous for the travel industry (as if what's happened already hasn't been disastrous enough) if they started cancelling September trips now.

When I called ABD yesterday regarding our August 9 Rhine Cruise (yesterday was our PIF), I was given the option of moving our trip or putting our deposit into placeholder status without any penalty.
I love the idea of placeholder without status. I hope that will be offered to our trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!