How late is *too* late to set up camp?

FLkid

Mouseketeer
hello all!
6 days away from our first stay at FWC

Originally we planned to arrive in Kissimmee Sunday night, stay at a hotel and get up early Monday morning to head to the campground check in and start setting up. (We are tent camping)

However now we are considering getting checked into the campgrounds Sunday night and setting up the bigger items then heading to the hotel.

Our debate on doing that is based on the fact that we don’t want to be inconsiderate of other campers trying to sleep or wind down for the night.

We probably wouldn’t make it into the campgrounds until 10PM or later. We just want to set up the tent and possibly canopy (I’m not sure we would stake it down as that would be pretty noisy) which takes about 30 minutes total. Obviously we would need lights on, possibly the headlights?

I know most people will still be awake but it’s our first experience camping there so I’m not sure how close our campsite will be to the next person. We just thought knocking out the big stuff the night before would make it easier in the morning so we could do some relaxing.

This could really be strongly opinionated. To me, 10PM isn't too late, now, much after that for some folks could be. Especially if in a tent area even the slightest noise can be enough to wake up sleeping children. Some folks might get really bent out of shape over it, I really wouldn't myself if it was say between 10 and 11.

In 2015 we had some folks in the 1400 loop show up our first night at like 1130 and started setting up behind us. Lights on so they could see, clanging around canopy poles, etc. This to me, was excessive.

I think it might be more trouble for you setting up in the dark. Personally, I'd wait until daylight and do a full setup all at once when I could better see. That's just me however, I prefer to start and finish at same time.

Speaking from one that tent camped in the 1500 loop on multiple trips, most tent campers are in bed by 10. With exception of holiday weekends. Most camping with small children and completely wiped out from all things Disney and camping related. I believe quiet hours start at 10 and to me that would imply not setting up camp. I know this would be convenient to you and your party, but it will most likely be disturbing to those around you. I don't see how it would be possible to set up a tent and not be. There will be doors opening and shutting, tent poles clinging, chatter, lights shining, these sounds simply cannot be avoided. We have had people come in and set up next to us and attempt to be quiet as a mouse, but still woke us. It's difficult to set up in the dark too. Hope you reconsider and set up in the morning hours.

In full agreement with :
think it might be more trouble for you setting up in the dark. Personally, I'd wait until daylight and do a full setup all at once when I could better see. That's just me however, I prefer to start and finish at same time.

Plus, you are going to have the surrounding sites as neighbors during your stay there, and it is neighborly to respect their time to rest.
Our debate on doing that is based on the fact that we don’t want to be inconsiderate of other campers trying to sleep or wind down for the night.

The fact that you are asking for opinions says you are a considerate camper! And, a good neighbor. Hope you have a great stay!

I stayed in a tent site for 4 days at the end of June and on the second night, a Friday, a family of 3 got the site next to me & set up at around 11PM. He had the lights of his SUV pointed at the site and into the wood line behind us so the only others who could have been bothered was me & his neighbor on the opposite side of me. I poked my head out to see him struggling due to the shadows and let him use my quad lantern to help light things better. I checked on him 20 minutes later and he was still having a hard time setting up the tent so I offered to help. I then found out it was a new tent & he wasn't exactly experienced in putting tents up at all. Luckily his was almost identical to mine & we had it done in about 5 minutes. I never heard him make any noise but I had a portable A/C running in my tent but I don't remember any noise when I went outside my tent either so he was very careful to be considerate. I found out when he was leaving that Sunday morning that he lived in Miami and came to the Fort right after he left work and they only had the weekend to enjoy with their son at the parks so that's why he had to set up that late. I had no problems with the late night set up or with the family the entire weekend and no one around us did either. I think if you do decide to set up late and you are considerate of others, make little to no noise, watch where your lights are aimed, & try to set up quickly (like setting up the bare minimum needed for that night), then most wouldn't have an issue with it. But that's just me, & as long as people are a little considerate I'm not that picky. :drinking:

EDIT: Reread your post. If you do set up late, I would just do the tent & leave the canopy for morning. Although if no one is gonna stay at the site that night, might be better to just set up the next morning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts