How long does it really take to get to Universal Hollywood?

Shoshannah

Mouseketeer
How long does it really take on a weekday in rush hour traffic to get to Universal Hollywood in time for opening from DLR? Would probably be doing Uber or Lyft.

Thanks!

How long does it really take on a weekday in rush hour traffic to get to Universal Hollywood in time for opening from DLR? Would probably be doing Uber or Lyft.

Thanks!
For the distance the time is alarming.
I like the recommendation of going earlier and having breakfast.

We've had it take longer than 2hours before. I cringe when USH is mentioned as part of a DLR trip.

Geemo

I did this last August, and two hours is the ballpark figure. I had a pretty good sense ahead of time because the Unofficial Guide to Disneyland warns about doing this. However, in my case it will be a cold day in you-know-where before I get up at 5:30 a.m. while on holiday. :crazy2:

Just for laughs and giggles I pulled it up on Google Maps where you can plug in the arrival time for specific day and it will tell ya when to leave. For a Tuesday 9am arrival to USH from DL it estimates a 1:10-2:20 travel time...so tells ya how much a variable LA traffic can be when even the Googles don't know for a 35 mile trip.

For the distance the time is alarming.
I like the recommendation of going earlier and having breakfast.

We've had it take longer than 2hours before. I cringe when USH is mentioned as part of a DLR trip.

Me too. The only realistic way to do it is to fly into BUR, spend a day or two at a hotel in the area to do Universal, then travel down to DLR for the rest of your trip (or vice versa).

We left at like 515am for a 7am opening on a Sunday... of course then they changed the opening to 8am and we were really really early

The only realistic way to do it is to fly into BUR, spend a day or two at a hotel in the area to do Universal, then travel down to DLR for the rest of your trip (or vice versa).

The problem is we already have tickets to fly into and out of SNA.

We will be flying into SNA on June 16-23, staying at GCH from 18-23. Vaguely thinking of visiting friends and beaches The first two days-but if we decide to do USH sounds like we should go for Sunday the 17th (except it’s Father’s Day-will that make it crazy?). Stay up there a couple nights then move to DL area Monday morning. Or even move to another area hotel Sunday night so we can check into the Grand super early Monday and access early entry if we want...hmmm. Thoughts?

Maybe also look at doing one of the bus trips that go from Anaheim ? StarLine Tours usually run most days to USH, saves the driving and parking costs, plus you get a good full day at the park.

I stayed one one of the hotels at Universal Studios Hollywood for a work conference and drove from there down to DLR for the day. I didn't leave early enough for park opening because I didn't want to deal with rush hour, but I think it still took 1.5 hours. I can't remember exactly.

I would stay by DLR if you want to be there first thing in the morning. Drive the night before.

Maybe also look at doing one of the bus trips that go from Anaheim ? StarLine Tours usually run most days to USH, saves the driving and parking costs, plus you get a good full day at the park.

The only problem with that is that I hear that you probably won't get there at rope drop. We would only have one day there and it's shorter hours that day so I don't think we would get everything done.

I'd go on Sunday. Get there super early and hang out. It took us about an hour and change down and almost 2 hours home leaving at about 530pm

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!