• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How long does it take to rent a car @ MCO?

fa mulan

And I think to myself, "What a Wonderful World."
It'll be our first trip to WDW and thru Orlando airport. . .

If we rent a car, what's a realistic amount of time from arrival (and baggage claim) to actually getting the car and driving out of the airport, assuming we get the car at an airport car agency (I'm thinking L&M, National or Dollar)? We land (hopefully) at 5:10 pm and I'm trying to estimate when we'll get to Disney (PO-FQ) for the first magical evening.

Thanks!!!

Being a member of National's Emerald Club or Dollar's Fast Pass will go a long way in reducing the transactions time for the rental cars. Check their web sites for info.

To reduce your airport time, one person can get the car while the others go to baggage claim. After picking up the car, drive around to the arriving passangers location for your airline. Have your party wait outside the terminal. Load the luggage and your party in the vehicle and you're on your way.

Our family record is a little less than an hour from the time we exit the jetway until we arrive at OKW. It was probably a fluke that will never happen again, but you can get out of the airport pretty quickly.

I've never checked the time to get the car, but generally from the time we walk off the plane till the time we are at the resort check in desk is about 1 hour. I've used all the on site companies and up till this year did not use any "quick check out" programs of the rental agencies.

We also split up to get the bags and rental car. Most times I already have the keys before the family comes down with the bags.

Thank you Lew and DVC-Don for those excellent suggestions and encouraging info!

We have only rented a car once at MCO. We arrived on a Saturday in January and used National EA.
There was a relatively short line and we were in and out in probably the same time as waiting for a town car driver. (Due to the new regulations where they can't stay parked at the loading area, have to get the car, etc.)

here's what i usually do. I will wait for the luggage while my wife goes and rents the car then she meets me @ luggage pick up. It saves some time.

I have found when I arrive in the evening there are very little waits for the rental cars, when I arrive in the AM there is usually quite a long line. When I take the afternoon flight I land at 5:30 PM and just walk right up to the Dollar rental car desk, I am done in 5 minutes and on my way!

Sounds like a great idea (splitting up), but since we've never rented a car or flown into MCO, I'm a little nervous about doing it. We have a Jeep rented in DH's name with Dollar (using Fastlane) and will be flying in on US Air. I have two sons (9 & 13) who can pull their own suitcases. If DH takes off to get the car and I go with the boys to get the luggage to make things easier, can someone tell me directions on how to meet up. Can you give me step by step directions through the airport so we can split up and then meet up later?

Just go down one level from the baggage claim floor. This will put you on the car rental level. Just look for him at the Dollar Counter, Very simple.

dtuleya,

You'll be taking a tram from the concourse to the main terminal. Listen to the recorded instructions while on the tram.

When you get off the tram, those picking up luggage need to go to luggage claim ‘B.’ Follow the crowd to the down escalator and take a right at the bottom. Find the luggage area for your flight.

After you pick up your luggage go outside and wait for pickup by the person with the rental car.

The person renting the vehicle should proceed past the escalator to the bank of elevators. Go down to the ground floor. Take a right off the elevator and proceed to Dollar...it's a bit of a walk.

After completing paperwork, you will need to go outside and across the street to the parking garage. Proceed to the Dollar kiosk to the right to pick up your keys.

Exit the garage and drive around to the arriving flights area. Stop at the USAir location which is the last group of doors. Pick up your party and you're on your way.

Hint: if you have cell phones or walkie-talkies keep them on so you can contact others in your party if there is a delay.

If the luggage people are not outside waiting when you arrive, drive around again. You cannot park and wait for security reasons.

We split up as well, Wife goes to get the car and kids and I get luggage. We meet her at the rental area and walk over to get the car. Luggage retrieval and car rental always seem to take the same amount of time. Next stop is at Albertsons!

We just came back last week. It took us 5 mins from the airport to our car in the Hertz lot. We don't split up anymore since you can't just sit there. We get the suitcases first then take the shuttle. We are Hertz Gold but they have other programs where you get off the shuttle and you are at your car. We also took a different way to WDW this time and we were there very quickly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter