How long is it safe to wait to book?

OP here. I went ahead and filled out the form on Dreams Unlimited for quote there. The quote I got back thought was $250 more than Disney's website! Can anyone think of a reason for that? I sent an email back asking about it but haven't heard anything yet.

Also, I wanted to say that I have no question about which cruise I want to book. I realize this isn't really a traditional itinerary choice, but we aren't really beach people. This is definitely the cruise we want, if we want one at all, ha.

Well no sooner did I post this than I got a reply. I forgot I asked to include insurance in my quote! Completely my doing. Duh!

Well no sooner did I post this than I got a reply. I forgot I asked to include insurance in my quote! Completely my doing. Duh!
Instead of Disney insurance, I would suggest buying 3rd party insurance on your own. Disney insurance will only cover anything you purchase through Disney. 3rd party insurance can cover the cruise, airfare, hotel, etc...anything that is non-refundable. I've used Travel Insured International Worldwide Trip Protector for both my cruises--kids under 18 are free, and I've been happy with the amount that it covers for emergency evacuation, etc. I have, luckily, not had to place a claim--so I'm not sure how good they are with that part! If anyone has pre-existing conditions, you would want that clause added to your policy--and it normally needs to be added within 3 weeks of your first cruise payment. Otherwise, you can book it whenever--generally before the final payment.

Since the two-leg B2B SD to HI wouldn't be allowed per the PVSA it would only be people who are doing b2b2b SD to Van to HI to Van, and I suspect the number of people doing that are few.
Actually, the three leg b2b2b booking will also not be permitted by Disney, to avoid the potential for a booking of those three cruises where the party later cancels the HI to Van third leg, leaving the SD to Van to HI b2b in place, a violation of the PVSA.

Actually, the three leg b2b2b booking will also not be permitted by Disney, to avoid the potential for a booking of those three cruises where the party later cancels the HI to Van third leg, leaving the SD to Van to HI b2b in place, a violation of the PVSA.

I've heard that but I found it odd, since if someone cancelled the third leg, DCL could easily cancel the first or second leg as well to prevent the problem. I suppose there's a risk that someone might cancel after the PIF deadline, but that does seem odd.

I've heard that but I found it odd, since if someone cancelled the third leg, DCL could easily cancel the first or second leg as well to prevent the problem. I suppose there's a risk that someone might cancel after the PIF deadline, but that does seem odd.

I could very easily see them flagging any that happened to get through that if one leg was cancelled the others would be as well.

And if someone decided to eat the cost of that last leg and not get back on board, DCL would know who it was and I could see them passing the fine along to those people.

Hey everyone, OP again. We went ahead and booked! I'm already nervous about my room location, LOL. I like to plan, plan, plan (it's party of what I love about WDW vacations), so just jumping in like this has me freaking out a bit! But I'm giving myself lots of leeway to cancel if we change our minds. Thanks to everyone for the advice. It wasn't what I was expecting to hear, but I'm very glad I asked!

Now that you've booked, you've locked in your fare structure. I've heard people talk about jumping from stateroom to stateroom as "something better" opened up 4 or 5 times, so if you decide that you want to change your room location (or type), you won't be the only person doing that!

Hope that you enjoy the cruise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter