How long would it take for Disney to re-staff the ships (with training)?

I really don’t know anyone that would work 18 hour days at less than half minimum wage and live in a closet without seeing the sun for days at a time (the vast majority of the crew are not allowed on deck or in public spaces).
You've just described junior enlisted on a submarine. (Except you get more personal space in a closet, and you go months without seeing the sun.)
New kid who isn't nuclear trained or a missile technician, but is looking to strike into a general rate. E-3, less than 2 years service, $1,981.20/month. $80/month submarine pay, $50/month sea duty pay. $2111.20/month total. (Doesn't get a food allowance on the ship because he is getting fed, and doesn't get a housing allowance because he lives in the barracks or on the sub.) 18 hours a day for a new, unqualified sailor is normal (you will get in trouble if you tried to sleep more than 6 hours until you are qualified a watch), equates to 542 hours/month or $3.90 per hour.
Don't forget to thank those new 19 year old kids for their service; they are making a significant sacrifice to serve!!!

You've just described junior enlisted on a submarine. (Except you get more personal space in a closet, and you go months without seeing the sun.)
New kid who isn't nuclear trained or a missile technician, but is looking to strike into a general rate. E-3, less than 2 years service, $1,981.20/month. $80/month submarine pay, $50/month sea duty pay. $2111.20/month total.

That would have been amazing money to me. That’s about 3 times more than what I made. 3 months of Marine boot, 1 month of infantry school and then 3 months of MOS school and then you hit the fleet with less than a year in service and PFC (E-2). Infantry MOS’s had longer infantry school but If you didn’t have an infantry MOS then the school of infantry was about a month. I was making less than $800 a month gross. Even when you were “off” you were never really off because of all that goes with being at sea. If I mathed it out it would come out to about $2.15 an hour.

Last edited:
I do not know if this is true but I've been told by many people in the service industry that Europeans do not tip or barely tip (Transatlantic cruise). If I was a cruise employee in a tip heavy industry like cruising, my only reason to be on the ship would be to earn money. So wouldn't I want to work with American clients who come from a society where tipping is expected? Just saying.
We cruised HAL in 2002 and their policy at the time was "no tipping expected, we expect our staff to provide excellent service without expectation of a tip" They also claimed to pay their staff more than any other cruise line. Our server said that is why he signed on with them, because he had worked on other lines where tips were a huge part of the income of staff, and said especially on European cruises, passengers would not tip. Many came from cultures where tipping was considered an insult.
No he said in reality, even with the no tipping policy, most people tipped and it was a big part of his income.
10 years later, we cruised HAL again, different ship, exact same Alaskan itinerary. The no tipping policy was gone, and automatic tipping was the norm.

Technically, if all restrictions are lifted or there are exemptions made for crew, you can get everyone onbaord in a day or two and then however long they wanted training or any quarantine to take.

I work for RC and in the last few weeks we've had the information/plan in place for going back (as crew are coming and going frequently to replace those who are needed who have to go on 'vacation')
We have to quarantine at home for 2 weeks, have a test 72 hours before the flight. Then once onboard another 2 week quarantine in a solo cabin.
I can only assume that DCL will follow a similar plan.
I was wondering if you could tell us about how many posting for jobs there are now, for all positions for last week? And how many you would have found on a typical week in 2019?

Was there a separate place for rehired to apply than a new hire?

Could a rehire apply for a different job? Like room service try to deliver drinks at the pool or coffee shops? Just wanted to see if a person could improve their position.

Will you still be working once everything resumes?

I was wondering if you could tell us about how many posting for jobs there are now, for all positions for last week? And how many you would have found on a typical week in 2019?
I don't think that it's fair to expect someone to discuss internal practices, which are often confidential. There are external websites for many cruise lines, and they do show positions posted for general applications. https://www.royalcareersatsea.com/

I won't speak for that poster, but quite often specific information is considered confidential and not something to be discussed openly, especially on social media.

Was there a separate place for rehired to apply than a new hire?

Could a rehire apply for a different job? Like room service try to deliver drinks at the pool or coffee shops? Just wanted to see if a person could improve their position.

Will you still be working once everything resumes?

I cant speak for all line, but for the ones I know, there aren't really job postings. You apply for a position and go through all the paper work and then they place you on a ship when they have space. My paperwork for DCL took months, but for Royal it only took a couple of weeks because I already had most of it and it was pushed through fast because i had years of experience.
Once all your paper work is done, then you wait for a ship, depending on your position, this could take days or it could take months. I actually had a ship before all my paperwork was done for Royal, so my start date was pushed back.

For applying for a job on a ship, most positions will use a recruiter in their country, and then there's different recruiters for different positions. Some recruiters will do multiple lines and place you where they think is best for you, others just work with one cruise line.

Cruise line are almost constantly recruiting for most positions so they have people when needed. Like if someone unexpectedly goes home because they get sick, or quit of get fired.

As long as you're not fired then you're given a return date and ship at the end of your contract for the next one.
DCL never allowed it, but with Royal if you want a break then as long as you want to go back within a year, you just let your scheduler know and they'll get you on a ship.

If you want to change positions then you either have to do that onboard and it's based on performance and how many contracts you have done, or you have to quit and reapply for the other position.
Some jobs within the same department are more desirable and seen as a step up (like the pool side bar to coffee shop) so they'll be based on performance. If you want to change position within the same department it's a lot easier like youth staff to cruise staff.

(Dont worry, non of this is confidential and most of this info could be found with a few google searches. I'm not important enough to know the confidential side of the recruitment process haha)

As for going back I'm 50/50.
I want to, but I've wanted a life on land for a while and this is probably the push I needed. However, while i am looking for a job, they're hard to come by atm and a lot of competition so if i get an offer to go back before i get a land job, I'll probably take it.
I did have a job in a supermarket for the lockdown, but now that's eased and those shielding are back at work that's finished now.

I cant speak for all line, but for the ones I know, there aren't really job postings. You apply for a position and go through all the paper work and then they place you on a ship when they have space. My paperwork for DCL took months, but for Royal it only took a couple of weeks because I already had most of it and it was pushed through fast because i had years of experience.
Once all your paper work is done, then you wait for a ship, depending on your position, this could take days or it could take months. I actually had a ship before all my paperwork was done for Royal, so my start date was pushed back.

For applying for a job on a ship, most positions will use a recruiter in their country, and then there's different recruiters for different positions. Some recruiters will do multiple lines and place you where they think is best for you, others just work with one cruise line.

Cruise line are almost constantly recruiting for most positions so they have people when needed. Like if someone unexpectedly goes home because they get sick, or quit of get fired.

As long as you're not fired then you're given a return date and ship at the end of your contract for the next one.
DCL never allowed it, but with Royal if you want a break then as long as you want to go back within a year, you just let your scheduler know and they'll get you on a ship.

If you want to change positions then you either have to do that onboard and it's based on performance and how many contracts you have done, or you have to quit and reapply for the other position.
Some jobs within the same department are more desirable and seen as a step up (like the pool side bar to coffee shop) so they'll be based on performance. If you want to change position within the same department it's a lot easier like youth staff to cruise staff.

(Dont worry, non of this is confidential and most of this info could be found with a few google searches. I'm not important enough to know the confidential side of the recruitment process haha)

I want to, but I've wanted a life on land for a while and this is probably the push I needed. However, while i am looking for a job, they're hard to come by atm and a lot of competition so if i get an offer to go back before i get a land job, I'll probably take it.
I did have a job in a supermarket for the lockdown, but now that's eased and those shielding are back at work that's finished now.
Thank you so much for volunteering all that information it’s absolutely fascinating. I’m so glad you were able to find a job in a supermarket, I hope something else becomes available for you very soon. I’m guessing you’ll definitely get a call from ships in the future. Sounds like they’ll be happy to have you back since you’re trained and have papers at your fingertips. Perhaps you could apply as a contact tracer in your area I’ll guess you know more than one language. That really could be a huge help right now. Best of luck to you and I’m sorry this happened.

All other things aside, stay healthy and safe in your future career - whether on a ship or off!!

That would have been amazing money to me. That’s about 3 times more than what I made. 3 months of Marine boot, 1 month of infantry school and then 3 months of MOS school and then you hit the fleet with less than a year in service and PFC (E-2). Infantry MOS’s had longer infantry school but If you didn’t have an infantry MOS then the school of infantry was about a month. I was making less than $800 a month gross. Even when you were “off” you were never really off because of all that goes with being at sea. If I mathed it out it would come out to about $2.15 an hour.

Thank you very much for your service.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!