How many counselors do we need to tip?

imgoingtodisney

Goal! going on this cruise 37lbs less and I will e
Trying to work out my budget. I know the Oceaneer Lab counselors are not listed. How much do people tip the counselors? We're going on the 7 day cruise and son may or may not use the Lab. Is there 1 main counselor per child? I know thats not the ratio. Anyone have any suggestions?

Wow, I'm always amazed at tipping for the counselors. DH and I are not planning on tipping counselors. They are not listed for tips. I have seen posted giving phone cards, little gifts, etc. We might bring soaps from CT (a friend makes lovely bars of soaps - all-natural). I will be spending enough $$ on the cruise. Not being selfish. I recall reading a year or so about (and reply posted myself) writing a note/letter to CMs boss commending them. It's sometimes nice just to hear you did a good job.

By the way, the same question was posed of your flight attendant.

Kim ºOº

This is an interesting issue. We just returned from a 3 night in dec. I did not tip anyone in the club because it was very difficult for me to tell which counselors were actually spending the most time with my children.

There are too many to give each one and I wasn't really sure how they spilt up their responsibilities. I certainly recognized most of them in the group, but again, I couldn't quite pinpoint who I would compensate for "best" service.

They were all really nice. Perhaps on a longer cruise when I get to know them better I would give the phonecards to those who I feel really helped out alot.

on other cruise lines we always tip $10-20 to the staff at the kid's club as well as phone cards.

these people take great care of and are responsbile for my child.

they don't make that much money (yes more than wait staff) but I think they are deserving.

I usually ask my son who he spent the most time with or give to the head counselor to split

I saw it somewhere on another post that the couselors are of the only ones compensated by DCL and that they do not get tips.

1 Disney Lovin' Mom
Memphis, TN

Tips are definitely NOT expected by the counselors. They do not depend on tips for their salary (and rightly so). If you WANT to tip a counselor or give them a small gift then feel free, but please do not feel it is necessary.

One way you CAN reward the counselors is to mention them by name in the questionnaire you get at the end of the cruise. There is a place on the form where you can name crew members who give exceptional service, and DCL definitely notes these comments.

Enjoy your cruise! :)

Don't forget that the 'What Would Walt Do' pins are meant to give to staff that are not in tipped positions - to praise them for extra good service.

I've also seen mentioned that Disney has come out with a pin for each state (Mickey Pin I Think). You can only by each states pin in THAT state - so if you can pick up a few of these, I'm sure it would make a castmembers day.:)

I agree with Wovenwonder...the "What Would Walt Do" pins are great. These days, I am dissapointed in WDW but I really find that special Disney magic on the ship. I really think the crew would make Walt proud in the way they make magical experiences for guests. That's why I think the WWWD pins are especially appropriate...they really are upholding the ideals that he stood for.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!