How many days with 1 year old?

JonT36

Earning My Ears
how many days is good to visit Disney for trip with a 1 year old? Was going to got for 6 nights but not sure if that’s too much.

With my daughter at 12 months, we did 5 nights. We would have liked another day on that trip. So, on her 2nd trip and when my son was 13 months (his first trip) we did 6 nights and really enjoyed having the extra day.

The kids are now just turned 4 & 2.5 and have been twice more. 6 nights is our sweet spot in this phase of life.

It depends. Is the trip strictly about the 1 yo? If so 1 day at MK is sufficient. If you are asking how many days a 1 year old can tolerate without total meltdown, well that also depends on the baby. My 1 year olds were used to going places, spending the night in hotels, and did well in a stroller. They did 5-6 days no problem but we also do not do Disney commando style. You know your baby. Take frequent breaks and go with the flow

Probably depends on the kid. My daughter was a stroller napper, so we did 4 straight park days at 20 months from just after RD to almost close without an issue...

She probably would have tolerated a 6 night trip at 1.

It really depends on the baby. We went for 5 nights with my 9 month old and that was plenty. He got pretty tired of being in a stroller by the end. I'd plan to spread things out and take some breaks during those 6 days. It was too cold to swim when we were there, but swimming or splash pad breaks probably would have really helped our trip.

Agreeing that 1 day is fine for a child that age to find out if they've interest in larger than life characters in their presence, lots of people, etc.
Make the trip a learning experience of your child's personality. Remember that they are beings content to open a brightly wrapped gift, ditch the contents, and play with the box, LOL.

Now since parents are also going on this trip :-)-)) maybe start to plan out a vacation that includes both generational needs and wants. Just remember that if your child isn't an early riser, rope dropping may not be a good thing and if they are early sleepers you'll have to find out if they sleep well in a carrier/stroller so the parents can ride swap. Study maps of the different parks and find quiet areas for them.

Enjoy yourselves.

Last edited:

we will have a 10 month old and we are staying 20 nights, there's no right or wrong amount of days to spend at WDW.
I’m so jealous!! I have never stayed more than 7 and never more than 5 park days. I just can’t get that much time off

I’m so jealous!! I have never stayed more than 7 and never more than 5 park days. I just can’t get that much time off
It's expensive though!!
We're from Australia, if you work fulltime here you get 4 weeks of paid leave a year, also because it takes us around 26 hours by plane to get to Orlando we need to stay as long as we can so it's not putting the kids thru the longs flights too close together.

It's expensive though!!
We're from Australia, if you work fulltime here you get 4 weeks of paid leave a year, also because it takes us around 26 hours by plane to get to Orlando we need to stay as long as we can so it's not putting the kids thru the longs flights too close together.
That makes a lot of sense. Hope you enjoy your trip!!! I’m sure it will be worth all the money!!! I never minded traveling with my kids but we really don’t care to fly so we do road trips. We went across the country a few years ago to visit my daughter on the west coast with a teenager and an 8year old but have taken infants on several long trips. Youngest DS was on a cruise, did WDW, universal, Sea World, and Myrtle Beach by his second birthday. When you have older kids they just have to be along for the ride. It teaches them to be excellent travelers.

That makes a lot of sense. Hope you enjoy your trip!!! I’m sure it will be worth all the money!!! I never minded traveling with my kids but we really don’t care to fly so we do road trips. We went across the country a few years ago to visit my daughter on the west coast with a teenager and an 8year old but have taken infants on several long trips. Youngest DS was on a cruise, did WDW, universal, Sea World, and Myrtle Beach by his second birthday. When you have older kids they just have to be along for the ride. It teaches them to be excellent travelers.

yes it's always worth the money. This will be our first trip with the 2 kids. We took our eldest DD who is now 3 when she was 19 months old, in September when we go back she will be 3.5 and our younger DD will be 10 months.
Will be interesting to see how they go, we are so used to going with just the two of us and I used to go solo before meeting my Husband. It's been such a joy expanding my little Disney family LOL
Road trips aren't for me, give me a plane anyday!
We recently went on a short (3hr) trip and eldest DD said "Where's the plane" LOL

It's expensive though!!
Get what you are saying :). Have family and friends in Canberra and Sydney. They generally only come once every two years and stay for extended time frames. Now that my nephew's children are too old to fly for free or discounted fares they'll probably only make it here once every three years although there is talk of his oldest DD coming here to attend school; we'll see.

Get what you are saying :). Have family and friends in Canberra and Sydney. They generally only come once every two years and stay for extended time frames. Now that my nephew's children are too old to fly for free or discounted fares they'll probably only make it here once every three years although there is talk of his oldest DD coming here to attend school; we'll see.
We're in a rural area, 3hrs one way from Canberra, 6hrs one way to Sydney (by car) and that is where the airport is, so we also have to factor in time and money to get there also.
We used to go every year, then we had DD1 and it was every 2 years, now as you say it will probably be every 2-3 years. It just gets more expensive when you have the kiddos.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter