How many extra points would you buy as a buffer?

If you were buying a small number points for a specific purpose (i.e. 3 day weekends)

• I would buy based on today's point charts

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • I would buy based on the originally proposed 2020 point chart

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • I would buy based on the originally proposed 2020 point chart + a 5% buffer

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • I would buy based on the originally proposed 2020 point chart + a 10% buffer

Votes: 17 51.5%

• Total voters

aoconnor

WDW Nut
I'm doing a small direct add on for a specific purpose- 3 day long weekends, always at the home resort. I already have a healthy chunk of points at AKV that I'll continue to use for my longer 1-2 bedroom stays.

If you were buying for the same purpose, how many extra points would you buy? I was definitely going to buy assuming the proposed 2020 reallocation goes through for 2021. Now I'm wondering if I should buy even more...

I'm looking to do the same. I'm budgeting a 25-30% extra cost for the long weekend. That I believe puts me between a 5-10% buffer if they do movements similar as the proposed 2020 changes.

If it goes higher than that I'd just move to a bank and every other year to use those points. As my other contracts are moderately larger than need be so I will have those points to stay at a different resort than need be (basically every other year on those contracts I'll have enough for the long weekend).

Why wouldn't you buy based on today's chart, borrow from future years, and then at some point in the future if you keep needing to borrow buy a small contract at that point to make up the gap?

Why wouldn't you buy based on today's chart, borrow from future years, and then at some point in the future if you keep needing to borrow buy a small contract at that point to make up the gap?
Or instead of buying another contract, get a 50-100 point transfer (same use year and home resort) and then bank and start the borrowing process all over again. Less expensive and allows flexibility to not go if life interferes.

You are a DVC veteran and you already answered your question - BUY MORE!

I don't know which resort you have in mind, but as you know, the price per point generally is less as the number of points increases. Closing costs aren't much higher either. I'm waiting to close on a $135 pp BWV 65 point contract which was a far better deal than a 25 point contract at $155 pp, though I closed last month on a 30 point OKW (add to our 100 and 150 point contracts) at $85..50 pp which I could easily resell for $125 pp. I think in this case going for double points will get you a better value in the long run no matter how you look at it (use, rent, sell).

We've done 30+ visits as well ::MinnieMo oh, just go for it! pixiedust:

If you're doing direct I'd buy right at the proposed 2020 points. You'll be getting double points so you can just bank a bunch to use for the next year etc.

Most people buy points based on getting a studio. I was glad I did a lot of research before purchasing. Our first trip, we ended up in a 1 BR as that was all that was available. I would suggest buying enough points to get a 1 BR. While on occassion, we will still do a studio, most of the time we go for the 1 BR. whether its 2 or 4 of us, we love the space of a 1 BR.

The number of owners simply looking for an extra 25 points is astronomical so based on that I would buy an extra 25 points.
Why are they looking? The lock off premium is not in effect, yet They are probably looking to stay and extra day or two, or to upgrade to a more point hungry resort.

Why are they looking? The lock off premium is not in effect, yet They are probably looking to stay and extra day or two, or to upgrade to a more point hungry resort.

I think majority of members after a certain number of years of ownership like the access of extra points to stay an extra night here or there or use them to get a bigger room on certain trips.

The lock off premium is not in effect, yet
Sure it is. I think you mean the reallocation is not in effect. The reallocation just made the lock-off premium worse.

I think the answer is just a simple calculation of the ratio between addonitis and cash reserves. It seems like there's no such thing as too many points!

One thing I'd note is that the direct price always seems to increase mid-January, so you should be able to see the proposed 2021 points chart well before then. And with the new UY rules (where they can reassign it within a unit), it should be easier to get points direct.

Sure it is. I think you mean the reallocation is not in effect. The reallocation just made the lock-off premium worse.

I think the answer is just a simple calculation of the ratio between addonitis and cash reserves. It seems like there's no such thing as too many points!

One thing I'd note is that the direct price always seems to increase mid-January, so you should be able to see the proposed 2021 points chart well before then. And with the new UY rules (where they can reassign it within a unit), it should be easier to get points direct.
Yes the reallocation

Does anyone have screenshots or links to the proposed 2020 reallocation charts? They're obviously not on the DVC website anymore.

IFFFFFFFF you want a buffer, I do not think 5% is enough.
If a studio is 17 points for the night, 5% would be .85 points. If they RAISE the rate, they have to do it at least 1 points, so 5% doesn't cover you.

I would say go with the buy what you need logic, yet somehow I did that, and always "need" more points!

It is always good to have a buffer. I would recommend looking at the Point Charts and determine how many points you think you need, then add about 10% to 20% more. Having the extra points will always come in handy and can be used for the more "expensive" resorts, longer stays, larger rooms, etc. It is always better to have a few extra, than not enough.

You can always add on to the Membership, but having a few extra right off the bat is a good insurance policy for your future vacations.

Last edited:
My vote isn't on there. I always recommend that you should buy 20% more than you think you are going to need. So I would say 20% more than current charts - which would more than cover you for any changes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!