How many parks with 1 year old?

mickerbaby

Mouseketeer
In NOvember, my sister in law with her 15 month old ds, my mother in law and I with my 13 month old dd with be staying at ASM for 5 nights. We thought that we would go to MK for a day and one other park (maybe Epcot). But recently a friend of mine who also has a 15 month old, asked why we wouldn't visit all the parks while we were there as well as spending some part of each day in one of the parks. I figured at this age, the kids would be just as happy playing in the pools or strolling around downtown Disney (which is FREE!) so I didn't want to waste money by planning on going to all the parks. For our situation, can people make some recommendations on whether it would be worth it to visit all the parks, or keep to the orginal low key plan I orginally had imagined? We are trying to watch our money, but if I thought we all would have a good time at the parks, then we could go for the 4 day hopper pass maybe.
thanks!
Crissy

Last October we had 5 day PHs with me, DH, DD6, DD4, DS18 mths. We visited MK, Epcot and AKL during those 5 days. The family only occasionally visited more than 1 park per day and when we did I usually stayed at the hotel with my DS. I think it's doable with 1 yrolds but you have to pay close attention to their cues. When they are too tired, head back home. Also, if you would be happy doing 2 or 3 days of parks and hanging around the pool for the other day, I'd do that. My 2 older ones would not have been happy staying so low key for a whole day. We took a morning off and they went to the Wonderland Tea Party and loved it.

I'm sure you will have a great time. DD had a blast at that age, doing all kinds of different things. If I had to choose one park for that age I would actually pick the studios. Especially if they are into or have seen any Playhouse Disney shows. That and the stage shows are great for that age (Hunchback, Beauty and the Beast) and also Muppets are there. DD thought Mk was alright, but was not really impressed until after she was 2. You are right though, the pools and the ducks are a bigger attraction in her book, even now!

Previous Poster is right - there are some neat things for young children at MGM.

I'd recommend keeping to the 4 day hopper. Do MK for 1 full day and 2 half days and MGM for 1 day. Do Epcot on the other 2 half days (or even just late afternoon/early evening so you can take a rest break). The restaurants at Epcot are really good, so you can take in the atmosphere. Plus, we found that after an early dinner, we could easily walk right onto the rides.

I think AK would be a little out of the way.

The children will have fun no matter what you do.
My suggestion is to go where the adults want to go.

Just our opinion, we're doing just two parks - MK and MGM. My kids would prob. be happy just going to MK, but they also love the Disney shows (Rollie Pollie, Bear etc) so we'll go to MGM too.

My kids just love the elevators, sleeping together, the pool etc., so even though we don't hit all the parks this time, I know they'll enjoy the whole experience.

Whatever you decide, I'm sure you will all love it!

Well, here's my opinion:
My DH and I go to WDW for ourselves in addition to the kidlet. We went many times before she arrived, and we will be going many more times after she is an adult (at least until 2042). Though DD might be just as happy walking around DtD all day long (she will be 11 mo. on our next trip), DH and I would not be. We plan to go to all of the parks, and adjust our regular plan of action slightly to accomodate her needs. When she was 5 months old, she loved seeing the sights and hearing the sounds. I anticipate that at 11 months old, the parks will be even more fun for her. We buy APs, so we don't really look at it as money wasted. Plus, DD is free!

--kathy

YOU will enjoy the other parks, and your DD sure won't mind! My youngest was there at 5mo and 23mo, and enjoyed it both times on different levels. She'll have just turned 3 when we go in November, and talks about it all the time.

I remember someone wondering why I was taking a 5mo...he said something like, "A 5mo would have just as much fun at the grocery store!" Not true! There is SO much to look at and enjoy...and we weren't going for just her. She has older siblings, and a mom and a grandma who love Disney, too!

We went last year when DD was 14 months and had a blast doing it ALL!! ;) We went with the attitude of following DD's cues - well turns out she is a Disney commando! ;) DD would wake up and toddle over to her stroller and start patting it and she said, "go." She loved every park and especially adored all the characters. When she needed to sleep she would fall asleep in her reclining stroller and wake up refreshed and wanting to see more. We did go back to WL for an afternoon break everyday, but it was DH and I who were craving naps she was still raring to see more Disney! We often park hopped to Epcot at night or to DTD or the Boardwalk. I feel we had a very full vacation schedule. So from our experience I wouldn't say that having a toddler in tow parred down our vacation activities one bit.

Enjoy!!
Gi

When we went in July it was with our 3.5 and 1 year old and before we got there, we planned to do a park a day however after we got there, we ended up doing MGM, MK, and AK. But really could have just done all MK. With a one year old I don't think it matters. I would just keep it low key. It makes it much more bareable and relaxing.

Heather

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter