How much do we "need" a full rest day on 10 day stay?

4Rfamily

Earning My Ears
My kids are 9 and 4. We have a 10 night trip in June/July (Free Dining). Currently we are planning 1 Epcot day, 1 AK day, 3 HS, 3 MK. Staying at POP. Will have our car. I'm struggling with FP choices for Epcot if Ratatouille opens, vs getting in all 3 tier 1 FP's for HS plus a BG. Plus I'd just like a little more time at Epcot. We want to eat at Space 220 if possible. Considering where we could fit in more Epcot time without interfering with rest needs, ADR's and transportation complications. I'm thinking if I just added park tickets onto our "rest" day, we could get another day of Epcot FP's and a few hours of Epcot time that evening. We have a lot of rest build in to the overall plan- but is a full day out of the parks a better choice???? Thoughts???

Our days tentatively look like this.

E-PPO Garden Grill, tour morning, afternoon resort break, tour evening+fireworks.
MK-resort morning, Tonys parade package lunch, parade, some rides, dinner at 1900 Park Fare-back to resort for an early night
MK-RD tour morning, Ohana, afternoon resort break, tour evening+Fireworks
HS-RD tour morning (BG??), HV Fantasmic lunch, afternoon resort break, tour evening+Fantasmic
late Topolinos Breakfast +Rest Day???
MK(7/3)- BOG PPO tour morning/early afternoon, resort afternoon/evening or couple evening hours at park of choice?
HS(7/4)-RD (BG??) tour morning..... possibly tour into early afternoon and then stay at resort until 7:20 Cape May reservation-(hoping to watch 4th of July Fireworks from Beach Club) OR take afternoon resort break and then do a couple hours in Epcot or HS before Cape May ADR- however it is our intention to be parked at Beach Club for our dinner so that we can drive back to Pop right after fireworks (it is my understanding that this is allowed since we have a ADR there)
AK-RD tour morning, afternoon resort break, tour evening
HS-RD (BG??) wrap up day?? long afternoon resort break for packing, tour evening+ Star Wars night show? AND/OR wrap up anything missed?

Last summer was the first time we took an entire rest day. We were staying at AKL and wanted to enjoy more time at the resort. In the past, we've always just did a day or two as half days. Staying at POP, I would get the extra day of tickets as it's only a few $$ more. Even if you just did your 3 fastpasses and had dinner, it would be worth it. We never seem to have enough time in Epcot. It's a large park as far as walking and in June/July really hot! Most people seem to think AK is the hottest park. But to me, Epcot always is. I would spend your 1st Epcot day in future world. If you have a PPO for Garden Grill, you can get on Soarin' first thing at rope drop. Then FP Test Track, MS, and whatever other attraction you are interested in in future world. The 2nd day, hang by the pool most of the day, then head to Epcot around dinner time, FP Frozen (or Ratatouille if it's open), and spend time in World Showcase.

We take a day off. My kids do not like it in theory and as well when I plan it, but the once we're there and everyone's feet are tired and legs are sore, the planned day-off is a godsend.

It's on the day off that we just explore. Since we have no parks to contend with, we check out everything else Disney has to offer, but at a much slower pace. It's the day my daughter gets to take the drawing class at AoA and draw a Pluto. We rode the Skyliner and explored other Skyliner resorts Christmas decorations (this was in November). We went to Disney Springs by catching the bus from a random resort. We bought some ornaments for our future Christmas tree when we get home. Kids got to explore the Lego store. Instead of eating breakfast at AoA that slower morning, we went to Pop Century instead and while the same stuff, it felt more fun and different to be some place else.

You will be glad for the mid day breaks- I think these are more crucial than a full day break. Plan on leaving after lunch for at least four hours. You may consider more than one early evening back at the resort. Unless your family just loves the shows, three days in HS seems like a lot. There isn't much to do for the four year old unless they are tall enough for ToT or RnRC. If you get your boarding group one of the first two days there, and can decide between the three tier ones ore r ope drop one, 2 days should be enough. Keep watching a lines app, but so far MMRR seems to have reasonable wait times later in the day if you don't get a FP. If you rope drop, I'd rope drop Slinky Dog. I also would take car for after evening show nights if you need to take a bus. Someone else can weigh in on the skyliner after fireworks at HS and Epcot-not sure how quickly they get you out of the parks after those.

My kids are 9 and 4. We have a 10 night trip in June/July (Free Dining). Currently we are planning 1 Epcot day, 1 AK day, 3 HS, 3 MK. Staying at POP. Will have our car. I'm struggling with FP choices for Epcot if Ratatouille opens, vs getting in all 3 tier 1 FP's for HS plus a BG. Plus I'd just like a little more time at Epcot. We want to eat at Space 220 if possible. Considering where we could fit in more Epcot time without interfering with rest needs, ADR's and transportation complications. I'm thinking if I just added park tickets onto our "rest" day, we could get another day of Epcot FP's and a few hours of Epcot time that evening. We have a lot of rest build in to the overall plan- but is a full day out of the parks a better choice???? Thoughts???

E-PPO Garden Grill, tour morning, afternoon resort break, tour evening+fireworks.
MK-resort morning, Tonys parade package lunch, parade, some rides, dinner at 1900 Park Fare-back to resort for an early night
HS-RD tour morning (BG??), HV Fantasmic lunch, afternoon resort break, tour evening+Fantasmic
MK(7/3)- BOG PPO tour morning/early afternoon, resort afternoon/evening or couple evening hours at park of choice?
HS(7/4)-RD (BG??) tour morning..... possibly tour into early afternoon and then stay at resort until 7:20 Cape May reservation-(hoping to watch 4th of July Fireworks from Beach Club) OR take afternoon resort break and then do a couple hours in Epcot or HS before Cape May ADR- however it is our intention to be parked at Beach Club for our dinner so that we can drive back to Pop right after fireworks (it is my understanding that this is allowed since we have a ADR there)
HS-RD (BG??) wrap up day?? long afternoon resort break for packing, tour evening+ Star Wars night show? AND/OR wrap up anything missed?
Everyone's opinion will be different here and based on different factors. I went last summer with a 4 and 6 year old and we did 11 nights with two rest days (we did disney springs on one rest day). That said we enjoyed the resort and I don't think rest days are "needed".

Personally I would probably add the extra day (going to the park for a few FP+ and dinner is no trouble at all). However, I would try to move the schedule around then to avoid rope dropping a park the morning after a night show. My kids would not do well with that at all. (I'm thinking the day you RD MK, then fireworks at MK, then RD HS....that seems rough..)

In my opinion, I don't think you need anywhere near 3 days at HS. We're only doing 1, and aside from any prolong ride closures I'm sure we'll fit in all rides (we're very commando types, don't usually go back to resort and have been doing this for decades at this point, so I understand it's different for those who tour differently) so I think 2 days at HS would be plenty.

If you have hoppers and you feel you need a 3rd entrance to DHS, you could split it with Epcot (honestly I probably wouldn't use your car this day unless you plan on starting and ending your day at the same park.)

Last summer was the first time we took an entire rest day. We were staying at AKL and wanted to enjoy more time at the resort. In the past, we've always just did a day or two as half days. Staying at POP, I would get the extra day of tickets as it's only a few $$ more. Even if you just did your 3 fastpasses and had dinner, it would be worth it. We never seem to have enough time in Epcot. It's a large park as far as walking and in June/July really hot! Most people seem to think AK is the hottest park. But to me, Epcot always is. I would spend your 1st Epcot day in future world. If you have a PPO for Garden Grill, you can get on Soarin' first thing at rope drop. Then FP Test Track, MS, and whatever other attraction you are interested in in future world. The 2nd day, hang by the pool most of the day, then head to Epcot around dinner time, FP Frozen (or Ratatouille if it's open), and spend time in World Showcase.

I definitely agree. The rare times I’m overcome by heat down at the World, it’s always been in Epcot. I think the fact that there’s so much concrete coupled with a severe lack of shade is what makes it feel like an oven. Last August, the FP line for Spaceship Earth experienced an awful backup and I was stuck waiting outside in the part directly in the sun for a while. I had to go back to the resort when I got off the ride because I was in such bad shape. Ended up taking a Minnie Van, even, because I couldn’t make it to the regular rideshare pickup area and the bus was taking too long.

During the summer months I’m a big advocate for taking it slow and resting. I swear that’s the cause of most meltdowns I see in the parks. The heat just gets to people, especially kids.

We've done 10 nights and 12 nights with no real "rest" day. We don't have to stay from open to close every day, but I can't see being at Disney and not going to the parks every day.

We are doing 10 days in June also. We do park hoppers plus.
We generally RD 2 days than have a later day where we go to Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon around 10. Enjoy 4 hours or such at water park, back to hotel, rest and dinner. We still go to a park at night. That is a key thing with the FP tiers at Epcot (where Rat will be a T1 likely) and HS right now- you can grab that one T1 ride on your "rest day", and do another 2 rides as well in 2 hours total usually. It's worked for us- as 4 RD days in a row really gets tiring. I could do it, but the kids not so much. Being summer- the park hopper really helps as you can easily do two parks in a day- part of our trip is Boardwalk and each day is split with a mid day break in the hotel (nap or pool). You can easily do that at Pop as well with the skyliner.
I think the 10th day being such a cheap add on is a gimme for you- even if you just use it to grap one FP that night now. Heck, that could be your Space dinner or lunch day and one FP only.

My 19 year old daughter and I did 9 days/10 nights at Pop in early January. You don't need an off day, but you do need to build in lots of off time.

I get that in summer you want to make the most of the mornings and evenings, but your schedule would wear me out with all the coming and going. Especially MK to Pop.

If you can build in an extra day, I always recommend that. But in this day of FP+, I would find it hard to turn down one more shot at a decent FP. Maybe a couple days just go do your decent FPs then kick back the rest of the day. (So literally just a few hours in the park and out). Pop to Epcot by Skyliner is perfect for that.

I think the 10th day being such a cheap add on is a gimme for you- even if you just use it to grap one FP that night now. Heck, that could be your Space dinner or lunch day and one FP only.
:thumbsup2

We’ve done “partial” rest days, where we go to the park in the morning but then leave the afternoon/ evening open, or slept in and strolled into the park around 5 pm. There’s so much to see and do besides the parks, I think it’s worth it (and gives your body a bit of a break too)

The longest we ever went was 9 days. I can’t remember exactly how old my kids were but they were young enough to be in strollers. It was exhausting for the adults and the kids were pretty tired but if they had to walk, we would have been sorry. They wouldn’t have made it. That was our only saving grace and we talk about that trip all the time. We don’t think we could ever go that long without a full rest day.

We don’t have kids and usually our trips are 9 days where we go to all 4 of the the Disney parks mostly 2 days each plus take a day or 2 for other area attractions where we are at there from open to close and never take a rest day. We do pretty much all meals TS due to food allergies and find the time spent at lunch and dinner is our time to relax and recharge.

I'm not sure we would be able to not go to a park for at least a few hours. We tend to take a few hour break in the middle of the day some days. We aren't planners and always have hoppers so we just kind of go with whatever our mood is. Some days we go back to the resort for a swim, or in my case a soak in the hot tub, for a while then out to another park in the evening. We normally don't decide which park we are going to until morning of, sometimes if I'm in the mood I'll look at what FPs are available for the next morning at night book one or two. That is it as far as planning for us but we even do a half day in the park on arrival day, which is normally around 3 or so when we get to the park.

I’m not a big believer in taking entire days off from the parks, though I can see the benefit if you really want to enjoy your resort or your kids are big swimmers. We have a 10 night trip coming and we plan to be less commando and more content to break our days up with rest periods in the mid day (when it’s hottest). One other option that we Plan to do is have a day right in the middle of the trip in which we go to a park in the morning then take the rest of the day to relax, then go to Springs for a good dinner and take in the new Cirque show. That’s not A full day out of the parks but is a good chance to relax a bit and enjoy something different.

We did a full rest day once and felt like it was a waste of time. We did the resort pool, playground, and laundry, but all that just took a few hours. On our next trip we did a rest morning and did pool and laundry, then went to a park in the evening, and that worked out much better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!