How much do you pay for parking at HS?

No fee to park in our high schools, but I think an amount of $50-75 is reasonable if it goes to maintain the parking surface.

I also think charging those that use the bus is completely reasonable too. But then again I think if the kid misses more then 5 days the parents should pay the school district the daily rate that the State would have paid the district. No point in having others pick up the tab.

Most of the fees charged are to discourage students from driving to school. It is better if they rode the bus, walked, or rode their bicycle. There is no parking at our high school. There is a small lot that barely has enough spots for staff.

My DD graduated 7 years ago, costs had just been increased to $150 for her senior year. I just checked her high schools website, for the 2019-20 school year, the cost will be $200. Oh...and you cannot get a permit if you have any outstanding balance due to the school.

I had no issue with this expense.

We have a falling sophomore who will be driving to school next year if a parking pass is available. The falling Juniors get to buy theirs first the last week of school and then the falling sophomores get to in mid-July.

We just found out the county raised the price of a parking pass at all the HS from $75 per year to $90 with no explanation of the needed cost increase.
Not sure what a "falling" sophomore is but our rising classes pay $180. Seniors get to park in the paved lot. Jrs with a 3.8 gpa and above can enter a lottery for the dirt lot.

You are really a 26 year old with a 15 year old daughter and 40 year old wife?

(Phoenix suburb) No parking fees. The school does offer a shower for those using "alternative transportation" as in bicycling to school.

$200 for the year, space is at a premium. Seniors that carpool or drive younger siblings have first priority, then seniors overall, then younger kids who carpool. Our high school is next to a popular venue that has a ton of parking right next to our tiny lot, so once November hits they offer a Nov-April pass for $100 to park there.

Most other kids will just buy a monthly pass to park in the municipal spots/lots within a 1/2 mile or so of the school and just walk the rest of the way. Street parking is limited to residents with special zoned permit stickers to mitigate out of town visitors parking on our narrow streets instead of the big venue's paid lots, so students are not allowed to park there either. Some residents will allow students to park at the end of their driveways after they leave for work for a small fee. Our district doesn't have bussing at all. Parking and traffic around the school, especially on nice days in the spring and fall when the venue is packed, is always a problem.

So is a "falling sophomore" a freshman who is about to be a sophomore, or a sophomore who's about to be a junior. Or a sophomore who will repeat sophomore year?

I've heard "rising sophomore" used to describe a student who has successfully finished freshman year and will be "rising" to sophomore status in the fall. (Or rising junior, rising senior... as the case may be.) However, I've never heard the term "falling sophomore" before.

So is a "falling sophomore" a freshman who is about to be a sophomore, or a sophomore who's about to be a junior. Or a sophomore who will repeat sophomore year?

I've heard "rising sophomore" used to describe a student who has successfully finished freshman year and will be "rising" to sophomore status in the fall. (Or rising junior, rising senior... as the case may be.) However, I've never heard the term "falling sophomore" before.

Me neither. When I Google it, all that comes up is this thread.

$15 per semester at my son's school for seniors only. Parking is extremely limited and first dibs go to kids who are doing internships, taking college classes, etc. The rest of the seniors who want to park need at least a 2.0 GPA and go into a lottery.

At the local high school, only juniors and seniors can buy a parking permit. Everyone can buy a golf cart permit. Parking permits are $60 and golf cart are $40. Priority is given to seniors and juniors.
The school district does provide buses, so this is totally optional. Also, aside from just lot maintaining the lot, I know that there is usually some staff member patrolling the lot. (Whereas, I know that the elementary and middle schools don't generally need a staff member patrolling the parking lot)

OASN, I was curious, so I looked at the University I attended. Freshmen have to live on campus and cannot have cars. Other students have to pay $672/year

Metro Atlanta - large public school. $50 per semester. Enough parking for all seniors, juniors and sophomores enter a lottery for the leftover spots!

No idea what the funds go for. All of our high schools already have a full time security guard funded by the county.
Our high schools have a full-time resource officer, but the person patrolling the parking lot is not the resource officer, so that is an added expense.

$50 for a parking lot full of pot holes.

eta: there are plenty of spots, so open to all, but seniors get the closest spots and so on. My daughter who is a sophomore is relegated to the very back of the lot.

Last edited:
$75.00 if purchased during school registration and $100.00 if purchased after registration. But I don’t mind it, since every car in the school parking lot is registered with the school. I like the idea from a security standpoint.

I think it's pretty nominal at our school -- around $20 per year. However, in order to get a parking tag, our district requires the student to attend a class about driving safety with one of their parents. They hold these at the school one evening per month and I think it's about 1-2 hours long. I think it's because driver's ed isn't mandatory prior to getting a license in TN, so they want you to at least get something if you're going to park on their campus.

We have a falling sophomore who will be driving to school next year if a parking pass is available. The falling Juniors get to buy theirs first the last week of school and then the falling sophomores get to in mid-July.

We just found out the county raised the price of a parking pass at all the HS from $75 per year to $90 with no explanation of the needed cost increase.

They don't charge for parking passes at our two local high schools. Only 11th and 12th grade students are allowed to park on campus, and they must park in the designated lot for students.

We do not discount for students who get their license late in the year, or students who graduate at the end of first semester. Students think this is very unfair.
Life isn't fair. But seriously, they have options, right? Not get a parking permit for a partial year, tor the late licensees? And while they wouldn't need to, couldn't the early grads still parm at the school? Or sublet their spaces?
Zero. I never heard of this before kids having to pay for parking at their high schools. Seems messed up to me.
When education is so underfunded that teachers are spending their own money for basic student supplies, it s3ems understandable to me.
I think a sophomore who needs to repeat sophomore year. They'll be the same age as most of the juniore, nut now graduating a year (or more, I graduated with a 21 year old) late.
--
I just checked my old high school. It didn't charge for parking xx years ago, and still doesn't, but it looks like there are many more restrictions.

A falling sophomore is at the end of the sophomore school year. Same for a falling Junior.
So the sophomore is "falling" to freshman?

The actual expression is "rising" sophomore at the end of their sophomore year since they are "rising" to the next higher grade level.

Interesting change to the title of the thread.

I am familiar with Einsteins E = mc^2, but am curious what E=MC3 means.

Would you like to give us a physics lesson?

Interesting change to the title of the thread.

I am familiar with Einsteins E = mc^2, but am curious what E=MC3 means.

Would you like to give us a physics lesson?

Maybe their student is failing/falling quantum physics. The teacher brought them down to the particle accelerator and they didn't know how to operate the machine. They probably pushed the wrong button and too many gamma rays were produced.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter