How much do you spend on vacations?

I would say total "vacations" would be maybe 10%. If we do one bigger vacation, that's maybe 5% of so but we do a lot of weekend "vacations" throughout the year and the cost of those add up quickly!

I've never really thought about it, and it varies, but I'd say probably 15-20% on average. We love vacations, and decided years ago that's where most of our extra income will go. We go out to eat rarely, aren't shoppers, and don't really buy unnecessary things too often. The adults don't even buy for each other for birthdays, mothers/fathers day, anniversaries, etc. We do buy for Christmas, but we keep it very low. We decided years ago that we'd rather put that money towards vacations.

I had a friend ask how I could afford so many vacations. I asked her how many times she went out to eat a week. She said depends but probably around 5 times a week. I told her to stop going out and put that money towards vacations. She said shed rather go out to eat. Everyone has their own thing they'd rather spend their money on, and thats fine. Ours is vacation.

We also rarely owe on them. They are mostly paid/saved or upfront. We go to Disney every other year, and we buy gift cards. We buy them constantly when we have a little extra money, so spending that ~$8000 isn't bad when its spread out over two years and a few months at a time.

We go for free due to credit card churning. Have not paid a dime for airfare, car rental, or hotel in 7 years, so I would say about 1% of gross income. :)
Even with my 'game' mine still cost something...taxes,fees,extras etc. But I manage to save about 90-95% off

Our budget is 7.25% of gross pay for family of four. Usually that includes one 1 week big vacation and 2 long weekend vacations.

this is an interesting question, and I never really gave this much thought.... i priced out our trip for 2020 to Disney, and it comes out to 4.5% . I'm glad it was so low, you had me worried figuring that one out !

I have no clue. Our Disney trips are not expensive. We drive (9 hours each way) and have DVC points that I've owned for years and years (like 15). So the cost of a room is pretty much what the annual dues are. A DVC AP is a lot less than a regular AP. We do not want to go during the blackout dates anyway.

We've been so many times that we have many offsite restaurant favorites that are way cheaper than Disney. Plus as we live in New Orleans - we have access to FABULOUS famous restaurants that cost far less than most of the restaurants at Disney. The food is not a draw for us. Not saying that it is not great - but I have no desire to pay double for what I can get at Galatoire's or Commander's Palace.

As I am now severely handicapped I prefer not to go places where just getting to go to the bathroom becomes an issue. Even in the US I am constantly surprised by how many newly constructed HC restrooms have things like no grab bar or a door that cannot be shut if one is in a wheelchair. I can't tell you you how many times we have had to stop at 3-4 places before I could find one that I could use.

But I do not want to sound bitter. I have traveled all over the US, Asia and Europe. I probably been to more countries than most people. From Kuala Lumpur and Penang to Bendigo Australia. I worked in London before I was 25 - managing an IT installation of one of the first telecommunication systems (49 years ago). One that I wrote.

When I first retired I made many trips (Budapest, Prague, Italy, France) with an major university that included educational aspects. I am so fortunate and so blessed. I am thankful for what I've had rather than focus on what is now not possible.

Travel is a priority for us. It's now just DH and I and he's retired. I'd day we spend between 15%-25%, depending on the year. We saved and lived frugally for many years to be able to afford to travel the way we want to now.

Two years ago, it was about 10%. We went to Italy for three weeks, and camped at Disney (no park tickets) during Irma and got upgraded free to a resort with park hopper tickets.

Last year was 0% 😭 we needed a new roof.

This year our 4 days at the beach, 9 days in Florida (mix of vacation and gymnastics camp), and an 8 day cruise is 6%.

I should mention too, we are very budget travelers and our income seems much lower than most on this post. Our four day beach trip will be about $250 and I am packing most of our food.

Last edited:
We go for free due to credit card churning. Have not paid a dime for airfare, car rental, or hotel in 7 years, so I would say about 1% of gross income. :)

I can understand airfare, as I do the same, and come close to getting free every two years. and I can understand hotel, even though that would not work for me as I prefer to stay onsite. But how do you get FREE park tickets?

I can understand airfare, as I do the same, and come close to getting free every two years. and I can understand hotel, even though that would not work for me as I prefer to stay onsite. But how do you get FREE park tickets?

:)Lol! I should have been a bit more clear. When I say go for free, I mean vacations-not just Disney trips. We have not been to WDW in 10 years and DLR in 7 years. But I do get Six Flags tix for free to any park in the country through a work relationship:)!

5% is average for yearly big trip of 8-10 days plus additional 2-3 % for a 5day and 1-2 short weekend trips.

$317.50/day for the 2 of us figuring in our DVC annual dues, Annual pass costs, gas round trip and out of pocket expenses for food/merchandise/tips/tiw etc. We go 2 times a year for 9-10 days each trip.

Looks to be around 8% of net income (base only - I'm not including bonuses or commissions because none of that is ever guaranteed) this year and next. I bought Gold APs this year, so I looked at everything we have planed in 2019 and 2020 since the AP cost can be spread over two trips.

This is definitely higher than usual since we are doing a DCL cruise next year as extra splurge (around $8400 for 2 adults/3 kids in a verandah room) in the middle of our WDW trip, and this year is the first year we are going to Universal and we sprung for the express pass.

Typically we are closer to 5%.

Oh gosh, I don't know...we save over the course of more than one year for bigger trips, so it doesn't really amount to the percentage of just one year's take home pay, kwim? Plus we use gift money, and yard sale/Craigslist/eBay money, etc., too. So figuring out the math would be way more math than I want to do . ;)

I generally spend my bonus on travel. It’s 10-15%

It’s just me, myself and I - so my household income is an income of one.

I have no idea really... DH and I take mini trips, one or two nights when the mood strikes often sometimes monthly... Disney, Beach, house on the river.... some times we go see friends or family for a long weekend, Small trips like Vegas for 4 days, NYC to see a play, site see or just soak in the city ..... then there are the week long vaca... Renting a cabin in the mountain, or at the beach, Disney and taking the family along, Cruise's. Then there is what we consider a big vacation...Paris... and next year Japan...

So as far as the big trips... we decided every other year... last year Paris and DLP... next year Japan, and TDR - those years we tackle the big trips we will do some mini trips... low key and low cost getaways... We are AP holders so Disney is our go to for a night or two, and renting somewhere we can take the boat for a few days...

Years that no big trip are planned... normally 2 - separate week trips... normally a cruise or an all inclusive( which until they get all that figured out is off the table for us right now), and a cabin in the mountains... and side trips or mini trips... thrown in...

As well living here in Florida we can take lots of day trips, lot of places to go and see and spend the day... Plus we know when and where to go, with the seasonal stuff going on...

We use points, perks, and offers or deals to do alot of the side trips... For Disney we use AP or Fl. Resident discounts...

DH is job is beyond stressful and we want to live our life every day... DH's always says... " A hearse doesn't have a luggage rack" ... We are actively planning for retirement right now, and have been since we got together...so we are not all willy nilly with our money... we don't live beyond our means... traveling is our thing...

Last edited:
2018 we took a trip to Cabo (5 days) in spring and a trip to DL(6 days @DLH) in December. Spent less than 5% of net income that is with the actual totals cost of the trips. But with SB and CC churning it probably ended up costing us abut 2-3% of our post tax income. This is for a family of three but i do always pay or one or two of siblings so lets just say family of about 4 lol

Lately it has been 3.77% of gross, 5.47% of net not including credit card rewards, interest in the vacation fund savings account, etc.

I would say we spend about 12% of our net income on travel. We do one 6 night Disney trip a year, one other big trip, and a 3-4 night trip to North Conway each year. It is just DH and I now, the kids are married, and travel is one of our priorities now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts