How much does your adult cat weigh?

My fat cat (see sig) is almost 9 and weighs in at 18.5 pounds!

Kimya

My cat Gari, is a female tabby and is 12 years old. I've been noticing she's loosing a lot of weight as she got older and now she weighs 5 pounds!

Welcome to the DIS..this is what we call a Zombie post, since the original post was made almost 11 years ago!

My cat Gari, is a female tabby and is 12 years old. I've been noticing she's loosing a lot of weight as she got older and now she weighs 5 pounds!

Sadly my cat, Kelly, died a month after the original post, Still miss her a lot. :sad1:

Wilson is almost 3 - He's a large cat, long body, long thick legs, big paws etc - he is 15#'s. None of his weight is in his brain as I am convinced he does not have one. o_O
My Brother had a tiny kitty named Penny - she made it 18 years and I don't think she ever weighed more that 5-6#'s - she was just tiny (and mean.....oh she made up for lack of size!)
I think like people cats have all kinds of genetic backgrounds, some larger than others

I don't have exact weights, but according to the vet, one weighs a bit too much (he's chunky) and the other weighs not nearly enough (he's bony). But, the skinny one has put on a few ounces with us trying to feed him constantly, so we're happy about that. (He's very old, and seemed to lose interest in food for awhile there.)

I think, in general, you know your cat is at a healthy weight if you can run your hand over their back and it feels smooth, not all spine. It's especially bad if you can slide you hand most of the way under the spine - that's a very underweight cat. Then, if the back is good, try picking them up. Can you feel a defined waist, and a bit of rib (but with flesh over it)? That's good. But, if it feels like your cat's got a solidly round abdomen - ball-shaped - and no waist, then they're probably overweight.

But, of course, the vet's always the best judge.

Welcome to the DIS..this is what we call a Zombie post, since the original post was made almost 11 years ago!

I was going to say that too! I couldn't believe a post this old got started again.

Anyway...
My current cat is 12 lbs and he's been the biggest one we've had. But it's a tall cat, so he's a "skinny" 12 lbs.
My previous cat was 10 lbs for most of her life. She was an average size cat
Our family's first cat was around 8 lbs, he was average size but had a slender build.

About 7.5 lbs. It isn't really all official, I stepped on the scales, and then picked up the cat and got back on the scales... had to use math eek.

(Yes I know it's a zombie thread but if everyone else is hopping on...)I can't imagine having a cat as small as some of the cats you have! He's an adult male tabby and he's 16 pounds. The vet said she'd like him to get down to 15 pounds so we're on a little bit of a diet, but I don't think he'd be able to weigh any less than that. He's just a HUGE (height/length) cat!

My cat just turned 4 but he's been 15 lbs for at least a year or two. When he was 2ish he was already 12 lbs. He's not fat at all. He's just a larger framed cat. Actually everyone who meets him for the first time says "wow he's big" but they aren't meaning he's fat. He's a fluffy kitty too.

This was taken 2 years ago:

upload_2017-3-13_20-32-34.png

My cat, Mystic, will be 14 in May and weighs between 7-1/2 and 8 pounds, it fluctuates half a pound or so every time she goes to the vet.

Oops, didn't realize this was such an old thread! Then someone mentioned it being a zombie thread so I went back to look at the poster's names and realized some haven't posted here in a l-o-n-g time.

I don't know. I stopped weighing them. Both though are jumbo sized, big boned, chubby with great lovable personalities.

I know this thread is old, but it is a good idea to regularly weigh your cats, as loss of weight can indicate some serious issues. Our calico started losing weight a couple years ago and that was our only indication something was up. We eventually figured out she had some dental issues. She ended up having some teeth pulled and has packed back on the pounds since then! I love when she shows up every day begging for more food. She's right around 14 or 15 pounds now, but had been down around 9 (very thin for her build). She's 16 years old now!

The white cat in my sig is 7yo and weighs just under 14lbs. The gray one is 12yo and weighs just over 8lbs.

My little one weighs 7.4 lbs. and my big one weighs 9.9 lbs. they are both 8 years old.

Our female cat, Monster, is quite petite and weighs about 8 lbs. at almost 17 years old. I agree with one of the above posters; if a cat suddenly starts losing weight, have them checked out. A few years back, Monster started looking pretty skinny in the back end. We took her in and learned that she just barely weighed 6 lbs. Bloodwork showed that she was hyperthyroid. Now fully medicated, she's back to her 8 lb. self.

Our male cat, Dio, weighs 15 lbs. at 10 years old. He is tall - stands 13 inches at the shoulders - and is long enough that when he stands on his back legs, he can easily pull things off the kitchen counters. My BIL likes to tell us that Dio is "freaking huge" and has asked us "Is that a cat or a mountain lion?" (he is about 2x the size of BIL's family dog).

Our boys are 14 and 12 pounds. The girl doesn't want picked up so we haven't stepped on the scale with her but I would guess her to weigh less, maybe 10 or 9.

Ooo, a zombie thread to jump on!
I agree with one of the above posters; if a cat suddenly starts losing weight, have them checked out. A few years back, Monster started looking pretty skinny in the back end. We took her in and learned that she just barely weighed 6 lbs. Bloodwork showed that she was hyperthyroid. Now fully medicated, she's back to her 8 lb. self.
:thumbsup2 Yes, this! My now-19yo American Domestic Shorthair (who bears an uncanny resemblance to every Russian Blue I've ever seen) cat suddenly started dropping weight a few years ago, even though she was eating us out of house and home... sure enough, hyperthyroid. Medicated, she now hovers around 7.5-8.5lbs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter