How much extra time to allow for drive to MK on Marathon Sunday?

PendingPeril

Mouseketeer
From everything I've read, the marathon mostly impacts bus routes. We'll have a rental car and also have 8am breakfast reservations. Given that we're staying offsite about 15 minutes away, how much extra time should we allow? Is the monorail and ferry also backed up? Thanks in advance.

The course is a little different this year, with a loop around Epcot before heading towards MK. The runners do use the main road into MK TTC, though veer off before the parking booths. You should allow yourself an extra half hour of possible detours and road closures for sure, and check the maps that come out soon as to road closures and the course.

The course is a little different this year, with a loop around Epcot before heading towards MK. The runners do use the main road into MK TTC, though veer off before the parking booths. You should allow yourself an extra half hour of possible detours and road closures for sure, and check the maps that come out soon as to road closures and the course.
Any clue where to look for those maps? We’re going to be heading from the Poly to DHS Sunday morning. Trying to figure out timing!

Trying to figure out why some people say not to drive and just take Disney transportation, unless this was before the route change that @Mr. Drauer mentioned. Seems like even with some frustration and road closures, driving still provides the least amount of hassle in getting to MK TTC

Trying to figure out why some people say not to drive and just take Disney transportation, unless this was before the route change that @Mr. Drauer mentioned. Seems like even with some frustration and road closures, driving still provides the least amount of hassle in getting to MK TTC

The extra loop is something they haven't done for years. Taking Disney transportation is usually recommended for early AM things on race days as the bus drivers know what will be closed, and how to route around it. Normal guests following signs or using GPS may not know where they are going, and directions may keep trying to send you down closed/detoured roads.

I just spoke to CM who was a bit clueless(!) but did tell me that I should be fine driving to MK at 8:00am on the 12th. The little piece of World Drive that you need to take from Vista Blvd. to the TTC is going to be open! I hope that's true, and I definitely would recheck closer to the date, but sounds good! Keep in mind, you must come in from the East via Vista Blvd.

I just spoke to CM who was a bit clueless(!) but did tell me that I should be fine driving to MK at 8:00am on the 12th. The little piece of World Drive that you need to take from Vista Blvd. to the TTC is going to be open! I hope that's true, and I definitely would recheck closer to the date, but sounds good! Keep in mind, you must come in from the East via Vista Blvd.
FYI:

Normally, of course, you can't get into the MK parking lot from Vista Dr., because you come into World Dr. north of the toll booths. In past marathons, what they've done is opened a side gate into the lot so you can make a left turn directly into it from World Dr. (No parking fee is collected.)

On Saturday, Half Marathon day, we need to drive from Swan an be inside MK at 8am for ADR. Looks like I need to go east on Buena Vista Dr, north on Bonnet Creek Pkwy, west on Vista. Not sure I see how to get into TTC parking lot?? Would leaving Swan at 7am be early enough?

FYI:

Normally, of course, you can't get into the MK parking lot from Vista Dr., because you come into World Dr. north of the toll booths. In past marathons, what they've done is opened a side gate into the lot so you can make a left turn directly into it from World Dr. (No parking fee is collected.)
Thank you so much! Provided they do this again, this will be amazing!

Every bit of extra time was needed here. Just finding the way into Zerg parking then figuring out you needed to get on a bus just to get to the other side of the runners to get on the monorail. It was a mess, but we made it.

Every bit of extra time was needed here. Just finding the way into Zerg parking then figuring out you needed to get on a bus just to get to the other side of the runners to get on the monorail. It was a mess, but we made it.
Forgot about that little issue of being on the wrong side of the stream. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter