How much French should I learn?

luvgoing2disney

DIS Veteran
We are planning our first trip to DLP and Paris next year. I've never studied or attempted French but in preparation I'm starting to learn now. Currently it's just basic phrases and greetings. I seriously doubt I can become prolific at it, but I want to be as courteous as possible and I understand even an attempt at bad French can be appreciated So beyond the very basic words, phrases and greetings should I become too stressed over trying to learn the language?

this is a great idea and will really be appreciated. When you walk into a shop or restaurant or interact with any French person, they will great you with Bonjour. You should respond with Bonjour, even if you just want to look and not buy. When you leave you say Au Revoir

Other words phrases you should learn

exit
entry
toilets / restrooms
how much?
do you speak English
How far
where is
Can I have the bill / check? (after a meal)
water

Don't stress, it will be appreciated but the last years all CMs speak English. There are so many non-French speaking guests at DLP, it will not matter if you don't speak it either.
But indeed, some simple phrases like above never hurt. Youtube has tons of videos with basic phrases you could use.

I’ve transferred several YouTube audios into a playlist on my phone so instead listening to my usual sports radio it’s French phrases! I’m thinking by next summer I’ll have the very basic phrases down pretty well, at least that is my intent.

I’m just don’t want to be one of those Americans who does not even make an attempt of communicating in French!

aside from learning the standard travel phrases, it may also help if you write down some things you might want to say ahead of time and have someone help you translate

If you're taking your phone, download google translate on it and download the French dictionary so it will work if you are in airplane mode. Its a great way to double check something you are reading or to get an instant translation of what you want to say. I will say that, at least at DLP and most touristy places, they speak English.
Some key phrases for me are:
Ou est le ..... (where is ....)
Je voudrais (I would like....)
Puis-je avoir (May I have ...)
Combien cout (How much does this cost?)
Also important: if you see "Service compris" on your restaurant bill that means the tip is included.

You might consider downloading the DuoLingo app if you have a smartphone. It could probably help. There's an app for the parks, too, that's pretty handy. The bigger shows (think Mickey and the Magician, stuff on the castle stage, etc.) are usually bilingual. Smaller shows tend to have scheduled times for either English or French versions, so you shouldn't worry about the attractions themselves. Cast Members are usually multilingual, (at least English and French, and most that I've encountered tend to speak at least one other language as well) but it's a good rule of thumb to learn some basic phrases in the local language of a country you'll be visiting regardless of how bilingual they may be. It's just more respectful.

Excusez-moi should be used before addressing someone with a question, but 'pardon' is used if you bump into someone, generally. France isn't like Spain or Italy, where the formal form of address is hardly used. If you're going to try for full phrases, make sure that the 'you' form is 'vous,' not 'tu' when you're dealing with strangers. Most younger people don't care, but some do. Better to play it safe and use the most respectful terms.

If you're going to go into the city itself, you might want a bit more French than you will if you stay on Disney property. The respect you receive in Paris will be greater if you show the respect of not assuming people speak English in a country where the native language is French.

Oh, and the tipping thing? Frankly, after fifteen years here, especially if it's a place I'd like to return to, I always tip. The service is generally better when you do. It's a good rule of thumb if you're getting a drink at a bar. (Even if it's just at Planet Hollywood.) Tip well on the first round of drinks, at least, and you're more likely to be remembered and served quickly if the bar is crowded later on. Servers are paid a living wage here, but tips are still appreciated. They don't make a lot of money. Also, it's commonly assumed that Americans are good about tipping. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter