How much have hotel prices gone up over the past decade?

Jabroniville

Mouseketeer
I'm curious about this, because I swear when I went to Pop Century in 2014 the rooms were less than $100 per night- I think I paid around $89! This was a long time ago, though. But a 2019 trip saw the per-night stay around double that, and in 2021 I paid around $200 per night! Is this about where the other resorts are- a doubling of price?

WAY too high. I got a Garden view room at Yacht Club 6 years ago for less than $300. Same room now? More than double that price.

At rack rate we are paying around $680 per night ( with taxes)for a standard room at BC this November. The same week 6 years ago with taxes was around $300. This goes way beyond inflation 🙄.

At rack rate we are paying around $680 per night ( with taxes)for a standard room at BC this November. The same week 6 years ago with taxes was around $300. This goes way beyond inflation 🙄.
That suuuuuuuucks. I wanted to try the bigger/better resorts but the prices would bankrupt me now. There’s no way I could afford a week’s stay at even Animal Kingdom Lodge.

That suuuuuuuucks. I wanted to try the bigger/better resorts but the prices would bankrupt me now. There’s no way I could afford a week’s stay at even Animal Kingdom Lodge.
Same! Ha! For years in the back of my mind I thought I'd be able to try out the deluxes or the moderates comfortably at some point, as I earned more money or saved...but right when it was within my grasp... :(

Interesting. Speaking of November - I've been pricing out a trip for late November/early December.
Port Orleans standard rooms are in the low- to mid-300 range (with tax). To get Port Orleans a few dollars under $300 would take a 20% discount. Whattt!

I'm curious about this, because I swear when I went to Pop Century in 2014 the rooms were less than $100 per night- I think I paid around $89! This was a long time ago, though. But a 2019 trip saw the per-night stay around double that, and in 2021 I paid around $200 per night! Is this about where the other resorts are- a doubling of price?
We stayed at Pop in summer of 2014 for three nights, I do recall it was around $129/nt. I have seen nights at less than a hundred but those days are long gone. I keep track of our stays, room/building/dates/park visits etc.

You are not wrong! We took our first trip to Florida in May 2013, looking st Expedia for hotels and I was SHOCKED when Pop showed up for $94/night. We are heading there in August and the rooms were $189/night (got the Disney+ discount and saved 15% but its still just under $3000 for 16 nights.

They have gone up so much, and then add in the exchange and Pop Century was $400 CAD a night for our maybe trip this winter. I think Disney is soon (if not already) too expensive for me.

Yes, doubling in price. With reduced Mousekeeping.

And demand seems very strong at those higher prices. But what isn't clear to me is whether the resorts are fully re-opened/fully re-staffed or whether there are resorts that are only partially re-opened, offering a lower number of available rooms (giving the appearance of even higher demand).

When I did the math to buy into DVC in 2018, I estimated the Little Mermaid room at AoA at $149, and it was even cheaper super off peak. It's why we went on our first trip, that room was $99.

The room that really went up was the Cars suite, which we booked for $220. Good luck with that.

Yes, doubling in price. With reduced Mousekeeping.

And demand seems very strong at those higher prices. But what isn't clear to me is whether the resorts are fully re-opened/fully re-staffed or whether there are resorts that are only partially re-opened, offering a lower number of available rooms (giving the appearance of even higher demand).
I feel like the higher demand was artificial at points, because when I tried to book a reservation in 2021, it took FOREVER for them to open up... within a month of my arrival, suddenly every day was now "okay". But WDW was INCREDIBLY busy at this point (even the CMs were shocked at how bad the crowds were), so I think they opened up a ton more rooms out of desperation.

When I did the math to buy into DVC in 2018, I estimated the Little Mermaid room at AoA at $149, and it was even cheaper super off peak. It's why we went on our first trip, that room was $99.

The room that really went up was the Cars suite, which we booked for $220. Good luck with that.
What kinda chokes me is I'd avoided the "expensive" resorts even in 2014 because I figured the cheap ones were good enough and close enough (I'm not a "hotel person") but today's prices for the cheap ones are the prices I balked at in 2014! So I could have totally gone for a mid-tier resort stay all the way back then (especially as my shortest stay was my first one!) and it wouldn't have been so bad!

POP Century was $120 a night around 6 years ago. It was $140 on 2019 before Skyliner opened. It's no longer a Value resort, imo.

Attached is Pop Century rack rates including tax from 2014 and 2022 thanks to Mousesavers (2014 was Wayback Machine snapshot taken on Feb 20, 2014). The fee for extra adult head beyond 2ppl without tax was $10, is now $15.

Cheapest date 2014: Jan 2 Standard view $106
Cheapest date 2022: Jan 2 Standard view $168

Most Expensive 2014: Dec 31 Preferred Pool view $236
Most Expensive 2022: Dec 31 Preferred Pool view $377

Both show an increase around 60%. Why does it feel like it has doubled? It could be that deals were more generous, frequent and covered more rooms in the past. Also, park tickets of every kind have seen a bigger jumps. In 2014 one 5-day hopper pre-tax cost about $355, in 2022 it’s about $635 Which is close to 80% increase.

8A98646F-C84E-4B9A-B3C7-51300FCCE7D4.pngD460D07D-B158-4B1F-BBC6-002BFED58A5C.pngCCB7BC55-5112-4FA8-96F1-1995650DC8F1.png7BED8C98-28E3-43E1-AE6F-940A34E7C1DE.png

Attached is Pop Century rack rates including tax from 2014 and 2022 thanks to Mousesavers (2014 was Wayback Machine snapshot taken on Feb 20, 2014). The fee for extra adult head beyond 2ppl without tax was $10, is now $15.

Cheapest date 2014: Jan 2 Standard view $106
Cheapest date 2022: Jan 2 Standard view $168

Most Expensive 2014: Dec 31 Preferred Pool view $236
Most Expensive 2022: Dec 31 Preferred Pool view $377

Both show an increase around 60%. Why does it feel like it has doubled? It could be that deals were more generous, frequent and covered more rooms in the past. Also, park tickets of every kind have seen a bigger jumps. In 2014 one 5-day hopper pre-tax cost about $355, in 2022 it’s about $635 Which is close to 80% increase.
Wow- didn't realize that park tickets had jumped up that much. Every time I see reports of increased prices it's only $10 or so at a time- that's a $300 increase!

My first stay at POP was less than $100 for sure and now it's about double that, but I might have gotten a discount (I think at that point Canadians got cheaper tickets at one point during a sale?).

I remember in 2018 seeing All Stars for around $80 a night. We ended up renting points at BWV which averaged to about $180 a night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter