How much is your child's prom ticket and what does it include?

DawnM

DIS Veteran
A friend and I were discussing. It seems to vary wildly.

My son's prom is $75. No dinner, just appetizers and such.

Yours?

Yours?
My DS's grad tickets were $60 in 2014; limit of 4 per family and the graduates themselves didn't need tickets. It was a "refreshment" hour (passed hors d'oeuvres and punch - no alcohol), plated dinner and dance event and the school provided "safe grad" shuttles for the students to a supervised after-party if they were interested.

My DS's grad tickets were $60 in 2014; limit of 4 per family and the graduates themselves didn't need tickets. It was a "refreshment" hour (passed hors d'oeuvres and punch - no alcohol), plated dinner and dance event and the school provided "safe grad" shuttles for the students to a supervised after-party if they were interested.
Just to confirm, prom in Canada is an event held around the same time as graduation? Here in the states it's typically a very separate event.

Ours is $35 and does not include dinner.

$45/person. Ticket price includes the dance, parking for one car (prom is at an event space downtown with an attached parking garage), and a commemorative t-shirt.

I know dinner is not included. It doesn't say anything about refreshments on the event page on the school website, so I'm not sure if they will be included, for purchase, or not available at all. (My oldest is a junior this year, so we haven't done it before... and he's not planning to go this time.)

My DD’s was last weekend. $15 for the venue, I’m not sure about snacks but definitely no meal.

Just to confirm, prom in Canada is an event held around the same time as graduation? Here in the states it's typically a very separate event.

Ours is $35 and does not include dinner.
::yes:: Yes - "prom" isn't really a thing in most parts of Canada. The big event (with dates, expensive dresses and tuxes, limos and what have you) is grade 12 grad. I suppose the biggest differences are that a) the day starts with the pomp and circumstance of the graduation ceremony; and b) guests other than the students attend.

125.00 per ticket- appetizers, full sit down dinner, dancing, dessert, a photographer- similar to a wedding but no alcohol LOL. Most of them arrive in limos- which they will get a group going in together- some do like the party bus. My daughter group was like 14 and they did this big stretch limo van and then they took the limo van into NYC and went to a after prom nightclub and took pics in Times Square. Every group does something different after prom- some have prom houses rented out east (which was a NO for me!!!!) others have parties in their houses.

125.00 per ticket- appetizers, full sit down dinner, dancing, dessert, a photographer- similar to a wedding but no alcohol LOL. Most of them arrive in limos- which they will get a group going in together- some do like the party bus. My daughter group was like 14 and they did this big stretch limo van and then they took the limo van into NYC and went to a after prom nightclub and took pics in Times Square. Every group does something different after prom- some have prom houses rented out east (which was a NO for me!!!!) others have parties in their houses.
Very similar here, price depends on how much the class fundraised, kids go down the shore for a few days. The day before, they have to drive cars down, because the party buses take them from prom right to the houses (usually with some stops at homes to drop off dresses and tuxes, since the tuxes need to be returned the next day).

It’s a senior prom, juniors have a formal in the gym, but besides venue, limos, and shore houses, it’s very similar to the prom. Long dresses, spray tans, professional hair and makeup, nails... and apparently I’m hosting about 30 kids until 1 am tonight, after the formal.

I don’t have kids, but I am the prom coordinator at my school. Tickets are $90 per student. The prom is held at a country club and the ticket includes passed appetizers, a dinner buffet, an ice cream buffet, a DJ, and two photo booths.

$35, does not include a dinner (it's tonight, BTW). The limo thing is done here, but it's only a small percentage who do it - typically those that make a day of it & go to the city for a fancy meal. DD is getting together with friends pre-dance at a friend's house that is down a rutted gravel road where a limo probably couldn't even go LOL. They're fixing their own meal, then heading somewhere for pictures, then the dance. Same kid is hosting a bonfire post-dance, but DD says she's planning to get some McNuggets and come home. Her dress came from the resale shop - $3 :)

$25. Includes appetizer type foods photo booth and other stuff like that.

I don't think DD is even going this year. Her boyfriend (with whom she attended the last two proms) graduated two years ago and just isn't feeling prom anymore. I don't blame him! DD has gone to three already and is not sure it's worth the hassle either. She also attends classes full time at a local college, and therefore has "lost touch" with the whole high school thing.

My exchange daughter is going though! She's looking forward to experiencing one more piece of America.

From Canada as well. Ours is at the beginning of June, they graduate at the end of June. Didn't know the U.S was different. We only have a grade 12 prom here. They do have a grade 8 gradutation that is dressy too. That one they have a party/dance in the gym with pizza and cake, it was also free. My daughter wore a short prom dress to this one. For Grade 12 prom they wear long gowns.

Our tickets are $85. It is held at a wedding type venue with a sit down meal/dance. With a free 5x7 photo as a keepsake.

Yours?
In 2015, the full price of the ticket which included dinner was $100. With fundraising, her boyfriend’s graduating class got the price down to $80. In 2016, my daughter’s graduating class fundraised a lot more. They were able to get the ticket price down from $100 to $50.

The cost also included post prom at an entertainment center that had laser tag, mini golf, etc.

$40 which includes the venue & (very) light snacks & drinks.

I'd actually like the ticket to be more & for it to include a full sit-down dinner. Instead, they all go out to eat at different restaurants before the prom.

My daughter still has her info up in her room from last year so I took a look. It was $85 per ticket. It included: cocktail hour (food only no actual cocktails lol), sit down dinner/drinks, dessert, the dj, the venue itself, there was a photographer that took pics, they had a photo booth, the graduates all got an engraved frame (not sure if the guests got anything - I never asked her). There was also an after prom party at a separate venue near the school. If I recall I don't believe that our prom money went towards that - I think that was fundraising that paid towards it.

I was just thinking this morning that her prom seemed not that long ago. This year really flew. Enjoy the prom/graduation season!!

$45 for early purchase. Just some light snacks and drinks. It's in the school gym. I think it'd be nice if they had sit down dinner, too.

::yes:: Yes - "prom" isn't really a thing in most parts of Canada. The big event (with dates, expensive dresses and tuxes, limos and what have you) is grade 12 grad. I suppose the biggest differences are that a) the day starts with the pomp and circumstance of the graduation ceremony; and b) guests other than the students attend.

It is still a big deal in our part of Canada.

From Canada as well. Ours is at the beginning of June, they graduate at the end of June. Didn't know the U.S was different. We only have a grade 12 prom here. They do have a grade 8 gradutation that is dressy too. That one they have a party/dance in the gym with pizza and cake, it was also free. My daughter wore a short prom dress to this one. For Grade 12 prom they wear long gowns.

That sounds very similar to here (Halifax) Prom season starts in late May and goes until just before graduation, although back in my day prom was the day after graduation. Graduations are at the end of June. My daughter's prom is two days before graduation - they have a mandatory graduation practice at 10 am the next morning which should be fun ;-p

Their tickets are $60 for students and $70 for non-graduate dates and includes a full dinner at a hotel. There is a formal public garden downtown and it is tradition for everyone to go there to take pictures before the prom unless the weather is bad. In my home town in Cape Breton, they still do a grand march in the gym at the start of the prom and half the town goes down to watch.

M.

Last year, DS's senior prom was $75 per person. It included a buffet dinner and dessert. They could get unlimited soda, lemonade and iced tea all night. They had a DJ and photo booth. Formal pictures could be purchased at the event. Our school always has the Jr/Sr prom at an interesting location where there's something to do besides dance. DS went three times (he was invited by a Jr when he was a soph). The first one was at a tech museum that has lots of exhibits and hands-on activities. The second one was an at auto museum where they could walk around and look at the collection of cars. Last year, it was in an event room at a professional football stadium. They could schedule tours to see the locker rooms, walk down to the field level, etc. DS said these venues made it more fun and worth the price of the tickets.

It is still a big deal in our part of Canada.

That sounds very similar to here (Halifax) Prom season starts in late May and goes until just before graduation, although back in my day prom was the day after graduation. Graduations are at the end of June. My daughter's prom is two days before graduation - they have a mandatory graduation practice at 10 am the next morning which should be fun ;-p

Their tickets are $60 for students and $70 for non-graduate dates and includes a full dinner at a hotel. There is a formal public garden downtown and it is tradition for everyone to go there to take pictures before the prom unless the weather is bad. In my home town in Cape Breton, they still do a grand march in the gym at the start of the prom and half the town goes down to watch.

M.

I'm in Ontario. Our prom is June 8th far from graduation practice thank goodness. They do have a Grade 12 day coming up on Thursday were they have to pay for prom, yearbook, etc. Get all there volunteer hours handed in too. Get fitted for there grad gown , we have to pay $30 for the gown and hat but they get to keep the hat after walking .

They already took a picture of all the grades in the gym and took the first vote on Valedictorian (anyone with an 80 average for the four years gets on the list to choose from) on Monday. Grade day they will vote again on the narrowed down list. Oh and vote King and Queen for the prom.

Have many cousins graduate from Cape Breton and Halifax.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter