• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How much luggage

keithomas

Disney Dad, Trip Planner, & Photographer
OK,

We're going to WDW June 1-8. It is our kids' first trip, and they are DS age 6 and DD age 3-1/2 (but going on 15 I swear!). We are flying and staying 7 nights at WL.

How much luggage am I going to need??? !!!!!!

My wife and I have been for 6 nites with just the two of us and we only had 2 suitcases + carryons.

I just purchased a 30" upright pullman from the Samsonite outlet. We have a 22" of a similar style and a matching rolling carryon size. This obviously won't be enough.

I'm thinking of buying 3 duffel style bags.
1) a large 36" rolling duffel
2) 2 large 30" regular duffels (one to pack with clothes and one to leave empty for the return trip)

The duffels would be for clothes only. Do you think this is enough? Too much? Please tell me your experiences.

Here's some ways to lighten up the load - 1) use space bags and/or roll clothes (there's usually an iron in the room and just hang things up when you arrive. 2)plan on shipping the things you buy back home instead of packing them. We've been mailing most things and the one time I didn't - I managed to break something - and it was plastic. 3)stop thinking you need different clothes and shoes for every possible ocassion - bring things that mix and match and 4)let the kids bring their own back-packs with things they'd like on the plane and a change of clothes.

4 each of

8 shorts = 32 shorts
8 shirts= 32 shirts
12 socks= 48 pairs of socks
12 skivvies= 48 BVDs
1 tennies= 4 pair tennies
1 sandals= 4 pair sandals

This of course doesn't include the entire contents of our bathroom that my DW insists on packing for ANY overnight trip! LOL. And to think she was a girl scout! :p (must have been in the Beverly Hills troup)

No washing while we're there!!! LOL. But a change of socks is an absolute must if you're sweating a lot. A change of shirt is nice, but I might have to break my "no washing rule" if we want to be able to do that.

I 'm expecting to check 4 bags and have a couple of small carryons. The return trip may be checking 5. Yes, we can have some stuff sent home, but my brother-in-law's family can also bring stuff home for us since they are driving and camping at FW.

For starters, two bags are accounted for by your carseat and stroller (if you bring one.)
Schlepping that many bags around while riding herd on two little kids? I'd re-think that idea.

We have a rule that when flying, we never have more bags than we have adult hands to move them. (The exception is the carseat satchel; it has backpack straps.) We have one very large wheeled pullman (max. dimensions), and one carry-on (plus my handbag.) We also bring a stroller and a hard cooler on wheels. That leaves us with 2 hands being used to pull, two being used to push the buggy, one person has the carseat backpack, and the other has the carryon bag. If it does not fit, it does not go. We have also discovered that if we don't need it when flying, we can also do without it when driving.

Pay attention to fabrics; leave the denim behind and take shorts made out of lightweight nylon. You may want to consider investing in lightweight underwear for yourself; tighty-whities are very bulky. Your sneakers will be on your feet, so you only have to pack 4 prs of shoes; put your extra socks inside of them. If you know you will buy souvenir clothing, count that as part of your clothing allowance. Get a hanging toiletry bag for the whole family to use, and have DW fill it up now, using spare packs of everything so you don't rush around and end up duplicating at the last minute. Remove any outer-layer packaging on toiletries. Try to get multipurpose products when possible. (Beauty supply shops sell 6-oz clear bottles for ~$.69/ea.; those will hold 8 days worth of anything you all need, except the sunscreen.) Have her skip most of the makeup and wear all of her jewelry on her person. Prescription medicines go in a pill dispenser, rather than carrying all of the bottles.

Resign yourself to the possibility of washing clothes. You can do -one- batch of laundry; two loads, darks and lights. Make sure everyone's clothing is in the same general color range so that it can go into one or the other load. Woven fabrics dry faster than knits, BTW. (We never carry more than 5 changes each, no matter how long the trip.)

We have done 2 weeks in the UK in November using this system; it works. (European cars are small; you can't fit that much baggage in them.) For winter travel and heavy clothing, space bags compress the load, but you shouldn't need them for warm-weather travel. The trick is to be strict with yourself, your backs will thank you.

You make some good points that I'm going to try and incorporate. Especially the cooler, although I think I may go with a soft, collapsable model. It can double as a duffel AND keep a few drinks cold in the room!!

We have decided not to bring the stroller and toddler booster seat. (The stroller has been in the attic for over a year already!) We aren't renting a car, so carrying luggage won't be a problem as Tiffany Towncar will be doing the driving (and helping with the bags!! :) )

My parents will also drop us off at the airport, which is a small commuter airport to take us to Houston Intercontinental in a puddle jumper. The distance from car to counter is about 100ft, and that will be our final destination as well, so no long hauls with the bags this time!

One thing I will DEFINITELY do a couple of weeks before leaving is a packing "rehearsal". That should tell me if I'm way off base or not.

Just thought you should know that I keep learning more and more from the responses too - and I thought I was organized. Note: I was just told that you need to have those perscriptions in the original bottles for carry-ons - this is a concern for me as I'm bringing my mom and dad who have lots of different meds and usually have one of those day of the week pill holders. Check with the airline to be sure. And I think I heard somewhere else on this board about liquids that are opened or unmarked - I guess they tell you to toss them. Someone else may want to add to this as I don't remember where that was posted on this site. May want to check that out. All the changes have made me rethink packing a bit.

Copies of the prescriptions will do for pills, and the pharmacy can print those all out for you on a piece of paper, or give you extra small bottles with a copy of the label on it for travel use (In the case of older folks whose eyesight may be failing, the pharmacist may insist on personally bottling up the travel sizes to prevent mix-ups.) The important thing is to only carry as much as you need for the duration of the trip; leave the rest of the bottle at home. Injectable meds do need original packaging and a copy of the prescription, because many states have strict rules about the possession of syringes.

The only time prescription pill-type medications are subject to serious examination is when going through customs, so if you are not crossing an international border you don't need to worry about that. Of course, if you just jumble them all up in a big baggie you are asking to be questioned. ;) Liquids are different, because there are a number of explosive substances that are in liquid form.

I always clearly label all of the toiletries I decant into smaller bottles; I use colored labels so they can be distinguished without glasses on. (I realized this was important after my DH attempted to wash his hair with hand lotion!) I am never questioned about the content of these, and I fly several times a month. You can always put them on your skin if they ask.

Bring laundry supplies and do a few loads during the mid point of your trip. You don't have to bring as much clothes that way. The laundry facilities are adjacent to the resort pools (if you are staying on site) and are very convenient to do laundry while taking a mid day or evening swim with the family. Just bring your detergent, dryer sheets, and plenty of change.

question about taking perscriptions.........if they are in the checked luggage will they be okay? We are having to take our son's nebulizer (will pack it in a suitcase since we won't use it on the plane) and 2 different types of med for it......will they be questioned in our checked luggage? Really don't want to have to take them on the plane with us.

Also, I have just about finished packing for us (we leave Tuesday night) and have gotten 4 people's clothing in 3 suitcases, along with snacks, toiletries, shoes.....and plenty of extra room for goodies on the way home!

... to see what they recommend, but I'd be wary of checking it.

Most people and most airlines would tell you that you that as long as it is not a potential explosive, you should carry any medication and/or portable medical equipment on board in your carryon. Two reasons: a) if there is a flight delay of any kind, and the medicine/equipment is needed, you will have it on hand, and b) the airline will probably refuse to take responsibility if it is lost or damaged as checked baggage. My medications do not leave my person when I'm travelling.

you can't believe how much room is saved by puting undies and sox in a Gallon Zip lock bag and squishng the air out!! And for kids put their complete out fit,shirt,shorts,undies,and sox in one zip lock bag. Then at wdw just give the bag to them to get dressed,even Dad can't go wrong this way!! and theres no wasted time trying to find the right outfits and the matching sox!! Big Plus all the room you save in the kids bags!!

I always vote for less stuff!

Just a thought, you have enough socks for 6 days, if everyone changes once a day. Will anyone wear sandals during the day? Or always shoes with socks? Maybe you can cut down on socks a bit. they take up more room than they should!

Maybe it's just me, but I find I can reuse shorts with no problem at least once. Cut back to 4-5 per person? I would also plan on a pair of pants (or two) each. NOT jeans, but kahakis or something lightweight. They are nice if you go out for dinner, or if it gets chilly.

At the orlando airport, you will have to wait with your luggage while you check in. There was a line for curbside and for inside (shorter for very frequent fliers).

Allim - the nebulizer in your checked bag should be fine. If they are going to search your bag, you'll know, and you'll be there for it & can explain. The vials are sealed, right?

Yes, the viles are all sealed. The new ones we got are sealed themselves and then packaged 5 to a little pouch. We flew last year with our nebulizer in our hard suitcase and it did fine....but things are so much more strict now. Figures our boys always get sick right before a vacation!

Thanks for the help!

I strongly second putting the kids clothes in zip lock baggies. I put one outfit into quart size baggies, just squeeze the air out. You can also use all the zip locks to keep things organized in your back pack during the week. I also put over the counter meds and sunscreen etc. into the zip locks just in case they spill.

You know your child, but given the possible airport delays (think about the time San Fracisco was closed for 6 HOURS) due to terrorist threats, I'd carry the nebulizer with me. My DS used one when he was little, and when he started wheezing, he needed it RIGHT NOW! I know it's pretty heavy and bulky, but I'd be worried about it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter