How much luggage?

3DisneyBuggs

DIS Veteran
I am trying to figure out how much luggage I will need for me and my 2DSs 14 and 20. We will be there for 6 days in June. I always overpack. I was going to check one large luggage and do 2 carry ons. I have a bad back so am trying to avoid a carry on for myself. DH and I went for 5 days and we had a check bag and a carryon. He carried a Disney shopping bag with souvenirs on the plane home. Whats your luggage strategy?

Sounds like your kids are old enough to carry what they pack, so that helps!

Do you plan an outfit for each day ahead of time? That always helps me make sure I have exactly what I need and no more, and I write it all down on an index card or two and put that in my suitcase so I can remember what I planned. 3 suitcases for one person for 6 days seems like a lot to me, but maybe I'm misreading that.

We put medium size luggage inside large luggage and check that. This way on the way home we have room for all purchases and hopefully whatever was in our carryons.

We bring a outfit for each day, plus a spare outfit, extra pair of sneakers, sweatshirt, bathing suit, flip flops and PJs. no need to overpack....because if you spill something on your shirt while in the parks....are you really going to go back to your room...or just buy a new shirt at one of the million stores in the park?

each person takes one medium suitcase except me...I get the large piece...it is only half full for the trip down....but we know we have room to bring back items we may purchase.

i used to overpack for Disney....but learned that there really is no need...its not like a cruise where you change your outfit 3X a day

At that age they can pack and also carry their own luggage, right?

I pack extra clothes always. I'm not putting on the same grimy outfit after swimming. I bring 3 pairs of shoes in case of rain.

Usually we have 4 suitcases for the 3 of us and a backpack or 2 for the flight.

We use packing cubes and they are great. Highly recommend.

Just to clarify- I do all the packing, by choice because I enjoy it. Yes, my boys will be carrying all the luggage since I can’t handle too much weight. Im going to carry a mini backpack and that is all. So I guess I answered my own question lol. We will do one big checked bag, 2 carry ons and the boys each have a backpack too. I used packing cubes last trip and loved them so they will be coming along too.

I’ve always been able to pack for myself & daughter (13) in one checked bag for a week & even two weeks. If it’s a one week trip, I can also get some of my husbands stuff in there. He never checks a bag. I recently went to visit my mom for 5 days. I packed for me & my daughter in one carry on. But, I didn’t have to pack shampoo, conditioner, etc. just the basics thatsoukd get me thru security.

Summer is a bit easier to get everything in less suitcases because you pretty much know what the weather will be. When we went last January, we took 4 suitcases for the 4 of us but we had to pack shorts, pants, shirts and sweatshirts because you never know if the temp will change drastically. That being said, I also tend to over pack because I like to be prepared for all situations. :-)

It varies pretty widely with me depending on what kind of trip it is and what's most important to me. For my two weeks in Disneyland Paris and London last year I brought only what I could fit in a backpack (not even a huge backpack; it can fit under an airline seat)--but I really wanted to go light since I knew I'd have to haul my luggage around on the London Underground at least twice. For my upcoming trip to WDW I plan to do a very small carry-on and one big checked bag since I won't have to handle my own luggage much and I'd like to have extra shoes, a full-size container of sunblock, etc. So...yeah, I can't really tell you on that one; it seriously depends on how you approach it.

BUT! One big strategy I always employ: bring a folding duffle bag so you can carry more stuff back home than you brought with you. I like this one--unfolded and full of stuff, it's small enough to take as a carry-on but sturdy enough to be checked. On my Europe trip I used it as a laundry bag and just checked it with all my dirty clothes in it on the return trip, which created room for souvenirs in my backpack.

After having an issue with an airline losing our luggage (we got it back after three days, at least), I refuse to check luggage, now. I stick to a carry-on and a backpack. (The rare exception being when something has to be gate checked.) I've also started doing laundry while on vacation (particularly if it is for a week or longer), which cuts down on the amount of clothes I bring (leaving room for other essentials, or souvenirs).

After having an issue with an airline losing our luggage (we got it back after three days, at least), I refuse to check luggage, now. I stick to a carry-on and a backpack. (The rare exception being when something has to be gate checked.) I've also started doing laundry while on vacation (particularly if it is for a week or longer), which cuts down on the amount of clothes I bring (leaving room for other essentials, or souvenirs).
We usually travel with just one large suitcase for the 5 of us. We may need a bit more space for 2 weeks in Orlando, but I also plan to do laundry. I think our large suitcase and a few carryons will be enough. Saves on luggage fees.

I was going to suggest packing cubes. Since I got then several years ago I've used them on all trips even weekend trips. I love the organization but all I feel like I get more in. I use a combination of rolling and folding in the cubes depending on how it all fits.

For WDW I'd pack extras because of the heat, humidity and just overall sticky feeling. We didn't actually come back to the hotel and change clothes but I liked the option to do that.

Do you have a luggage scale? We've enjoyed having ours (a nice handheld one) especially since we've been sharing a large suitcase when we check a bag. It's not mandatory since we haven't always had it but ours is small enough to bring with us.

Make sure to pack with enough room for bringing home souvenirs. For flying you get 1 carry on and 1 personal item per person. Right now with how you've said it your son's backpacks would be their personal item. Your backpack would either be a personal item or carry on. You've said your sons will also be bringing carry ons so that leaves only you to carry any souvenirs as your personal items or carry on unless you leave room in the carry ons and/or backpacks being brought. Remember personal items go under the seat in front of you, carry ons go in the overhead bin.

I am a very light packer. I travel fairly frequently so I've invested in clothing that works especially well for travel; light weight, quick drying OR merino wool which is naturally moisture wicking and doesn't need to be washed as often.

No matter how long I am gone for, I usually pack the same:

3 tops
3 bottoms (mix of skirts and pants)
*The 3 tops/3 bottoms should be able to mix and match to create up to 9 separate "outfits"*
underwear and socks as needed
3 pairs of shoes; running shoes, "every day flats" (the specific type varies based on where I am going) and flip flops
One workout/running outfit
light weight pajamas, one set
bathing suit and cover up (unless I am going somewhere it won't be needed)
Jacket (small/packable)
rain jacket (packable)
toiletries; always in small bottles, and greatly pared down. I don't bring much makeup. I take advantage of any hotel toiletries I can, etc.
A portable clothesline, since I wash clothes in the sink and hang them to dry at night. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZYLO2A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I can fit all of my stuff into a carry on size bag, usually with room to spare. I went to London for 6 days with my two sons (12 and 14) last week for spring break. We packed everything into 2 carry on bags (they each carried one) and a 20L backpack (I carried), with room to spare.

We each have a larger luggage bag and a carry on that can fit under the seat. We'll also check 1 other medium size bag for souvenirs.

BUT! One big strategy I always employ: bring a folding duffle bag so you can carry more stuff back home than you brought with you. I like this one--unfolded and full of stuff, it's small enough to take as a carry-on but sturdy enough to be checked. On my Europe trip I used it as a laundry bag and just checked it with all my dirty clothes in it on the return trip, which created room for souvenirs in my backpack.
^^THIS! I always pack an empty rolling duffle into our checked bag and use it for our dirty laundry. It then leaves us with an empty suitcase for our souvenirs and makes post-vacation laundry so much faster.

As a word of caution for those who start doing this... Make sure you remember that you are coming home with another checked bag and don't leave it behind on the carousel. Our flight home landed around midnight and in my exhaustion I gathered our 2 suitcases and left. It wasn't until we unloaded the car at home that it dawned on me that I had totally forgotten that we had the duffle. I felt like such an idiot. HAHA I will say that Southwest was amazing at helping me handle it. They tracked it down and delivered it to my doorstep before noon and were in communication with me throughout the entire process.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter