• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

how much mony do u make a year at seaworld??

jessetjames

Earning My Ears
ok just cerious how much do u make a yea at seaworld?

cuz if everything gose acording to plain i hope ill winde up as a trainer there so do any of u guys know how much u make at seaworld a year??? as a trainer for there killer whales, or dolphins.

you'll need to learn to spell before you fill out the job application.

trainers aren't highly compensated, they do it for the love of the animals.

jessetjames said:
ok just cerious how much do u make a yea at seaworld?

cuz if everything gose acording to plain i hope ill winde up as a trainer there so do any of u guys know how much u make at seaworld a year??? as a trainer for there killer whales, or dolphins.

i dont care how much i make i so whant to work there cuz i love animals :). just wandering what they pay.

I believe you have to have a degree in Marine Biology to work as a trainer. A person with a Bachelors degree makes about $45k a year to start (in most fields).

WatchinCaptKangaroo said:
I believe you have to have a degree in Marine Biology to work as a trainer.

a marine biologist is different than a marine mammal trainer. you don't need a degree to become a trainer.

I don't know the answer to your question, but if you go to www.seaworldorlando.com, WAY down at the bottom of the page, click on Jobs for information about work at Seaworld.

While we were watching Believe last year, my DD turned to me with wide eyes and said, "Those guys have the coolest job in the WORLD!!" Hold on to that dream and go for it!

They don't make a lot of money. You can search job sites like Monster and the Orlando Sentinel. The job descriptions are very long with tons of details of what is expected, yet the jobs pay close to minimum wage for regular workers. Turn over is very high. Yes, it looks like the performers at a show like Dixie Stampede are having fun, and they are, but they don't make much money.

It's like that with most jobs in life that are fun, which is why you hear the term, "Don't quit your day job." I'd like to be a musician, I've played in bands, but it doesn't pay unless you become a star. There's just no money in "fun" jobs.

I wanted to be an animal trainer at Sea World, but reality set in. Florida, Texas, and California are too far away for me right now. I can't swim well, let alone scuba dive. I do have a degree in Psychology (or I will in May), which is beneficial to working with these animals (you have to understand the different "conditioning" techniques trainers use, like positive reinforcement). Being Shamu's trainer would be a dream come true for me, but right now it is just not feasible.

Nellas Elensar

ok thanks :).

man i so hope i can work at sea world. but if i cant then i would love to work at some awsom aquarium.

To be a trainer at SW you need:
  • To have a degree in Psychology, Biology or Zoology (not marine biology), or have a diploma from working with exotic animals at a college such as Moorpark in California. A degree isn't essential to work as a trainer at all marine parks, but it is an essential at SW
  • To be a very strong swimmer and be able to pass a rigorous swim test
  • To be scuba certified
  • Have experience working with large and/or exotic animals
  • Have public speaking experience
  • Have experience dealing with the public
  • Have an extensive knowledge of cetaceans, pinnipeds and other marine life
  • Be first aid certified
I'm sure there are probably some other requirements but I can't recall them off the top of my head.

On top of all of that you can't be afraid to get your hands dirty and must be in top physical shape. You must be prepared to move between the three SW parks too.

Also, SW hire marine mammal trainers, not killer whale trainers and hence you should be prepared to work with different types of marine mammals, in most cases it takes years before a trainer can work with the killer whales and even then they are often moved to different areas within the park(s) if SW decide they would fit better in a different training position.

The pays not great, but thats not why people become trainers. If you are truly passionate about all marine mammals (and marine life in general) then go for it! :)

In the test to just get hired to work with the animals in Orlando SW I know you have to be able to swim quite a distance underwater and hold breath for quite a long while. The trainer in California who was kept underwater by the killer whale was under water for over a minute each time the whale brought him down.

As for the poster who wants to be a trainer......get yourt education to be the best you can be in one of the fields listed by others. Get as much volunteer experience you can while in college and with luck there is a chance you might be hired. There are very limited opportunities to become a trainer at a SW park and thousands more applying than jobs available. But like they say in the Believe show if you Believe you can do it, you can......It just may take a while to get there.

ya im a good swimmer ive taken swim lessons and completed them and know i can go in to life gard training but im to young to take it

also im on speach team and i do abunch of plays i also do a bunch of volinter work.

How old are you? I was a life guard at 16. In any event, I agree with other posters who say you work at Sea World because you love it, not to make money. I think you'd be disappointed if you expected otherwise. They do seem to be enjoying their jobs, don't they? I'd be curious to see what the employees behind the scenes are like though.
Keep working with animals such as volunteering in an animal clinic. If you have an aquarium nearby, you might consider volunteering there too. It'll give you some things to add to your resume.

See, look at all those requirements, and the job doesn't pay that much.
To be a trainer, you'd need a spouse that works so you could make ends meet. That's the only way to make it in this world and live comfortably, is when both people work (or you win lotto).
The only people who make tons of money are the suits at the top. The rest of the people are just workers, even if they deserve more money.

I mean look at the world in general. Teachers, Paramedics, Cops, and Firefighters save lives, yet they make a below average salary. The world is backwards on these jobs.

robvia said:
See, look at all those requirements, and the job doesn't pay that much.
To be a trainer, you'd need a spouse that works so you could make ends meet. That's the only way to make it in this world and live comfortably, is when both people work (or you win lotto).
The only people who make tons of money are the suits at the top. The rest of the people are just workers, even if they deserve more money.

I mean look at the world in general. Teachers, Paramedics, Cops, and Firefighters save lives, yet they make a below average salary. The world is backwards on these jobs.

yup pretty much but im plaining on doing like 2 jobs one job would be work at sea world or an aquiam and my other job would be to work with horses and help people train horses :).

Amity 3 said:
a marine biologist is different than a marine mammal trainer. you don't need a degree to become a trainer.

I researched this career when I was in high school. Now it was about 15 years ago but you needed a college degree to be a trainer. They aren't going to let *just anyone* work with these animals. They are still wild animals.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter