How much more do you spend...

the original poster I though was asking about in addition to the DVC rooms.

but it you want the cost with the room

it was an exchange so the maintence fees $214 + $129 (exchange fee) + $95 exchange fee that DVC charges = $438

if I was using my points I would be at OKW - it would be $295.10 ($3.01 *98) without taxes or $380.90 ($3.89 * 98) with taxes - I generally don't count tax because I write them off on my tax return for the whole week. I always stay in a studio. (unless I can't get one)

I brought in 93 - so I paid it off long ago.

however in financial matters these would all be dead costs - I pay them if I stay or not - so to put them in your cost analysis is generally not right.

so just add my $500 to the above costs for a week stay.

Thanks for everyone's replies.

I definitely don't see DVC as a savings or a budget way to go. I understand what I'm paying for.

Vacation time is extremely important to me, but I fear that I won't take the time without something like DVC.

Thanks again!

harleyquinn said:

I definitely don't see DVC as a savings or a budget way to go. I understand what I'm paying for.

Vacation time is extremely important to me, but I fear that I won't take the time without something like DVC.

Thanks again!
I think you have exactly the right attitude. Let's face it, DVC is a "splurge" purchase, though many of us feel it should be in the "necessity" column! ;)

And yes, DVC has "forced" us to take more frequent, longer vacations with a higher quality of vacation than we had before. For those reasons alone, DVC is worth it to us.

Thank You Granny!! :wave2:

Now if I can just talk DH into it.

I plan on making a special savings account for DVC and building up for the purchase. Dh and I are only 25 with no children at this time (coming soon enough though :) We'll probably wait until the new resort is built before we'll be ready (I know, no guarantees)

I still have to make sure DVC is the right purchase. I've got the Disney bug bad, but I'm afraid of burnout. So I'll keep going while I save so I can make the right decesion. I'm sure I can find some way to spend that money!

Thanks again!

harleyquinn said:

Thanks again!

Now you've got the idea! :earboy2:

We will still stay at the values for our weekends to save points we love the All Star resorts next trip we are going to try PC for a change can't wait we love it at the values.

I would say having snacks, pop, beer,wine and breakfast foods saves us $. We used to do deluxe concierge. Heck, we can spend 75.00-100 on breakfast.

harleyquinn said:
now that you own DVC?

I've gotten past most of my qualms over buying DVC, but my big fear is that I'll end up spending even more money (beyond DVC costs) if I buy in.

I love the idea of taking a bunch of special trips using APs, and then banking points for a year, and doing it over again or trading points...

So how much more (or less :confused3 ) do you spend?

Thanks! :goodvibes
we spend exactly the same on things as always but we save a ton on accomadations from yrs before 91...........our CPA estimates we have saved about 180K since 1991 on WDW accomadations ...............

It's probably a wash for DH & me. What we save in the way of souveniers and accomodations, we now spend on food. The first time we went down, I think I spent about $700 for souveniers. :rolleyes1 Don't buy as many anymore. We bought in 2000 and I have yet to use the kitchen/kitchenette for more than coffee or tea. It's not a vacation if I have to cook.

Thanks everyone!

I honestly didn't expect too many people to say they saved money.

In my case, we stay at Moderates (my hubby wants to try a Value). So I know that DVC won't be cost effective for us in that way.

I really want the extra push to vacation. I think I might need to sit through some other timeshare presentations...

If you don't buy DVC- Don't buy in Orlando.

they are much cheaper timeshares (resale) and much cheaper maintence fees.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter