How much of your identity is wrapped up

low-key

14001, 60056, 224
in your occupation ?

I bring this up cause I have a friend who just got fired as a cop, Im just not sure how well he will do

me, never wrapped up in my occupation but the steady pay and benefits I would have lost a lot of self worth had I been fired.

I'm a stay at home mom. I'd say probably 90% of my identity. But DH and I are going away for a couple of days in April so we'll get some time to recharge and some time to focus on ourselves as a couple. I'm REALLY looking forward to it.

sounds like a great ideal,where ya all going

Not much. I’m in accounting.

Part of my identity is tied to the previous industry I was in. I worked for a local craft brewery for 21 years. I enjoy visiting new breweries & old favorites. I actual plan trips around what area breweries I want to visit.

Last edited:
Not much at all. I am at my first full time job out of college. While I love my job, it is nothing special and has absolutely nothing to do with what I went to school for. The only thing that would make me think twice about leaving for something with better pay is the fact that I honestly have the most amazing boss and manager ever.

I struggle with this thought often. I have an emotionally difficult job and I work way too many hours and days without one off (today was my first day off since sometime towards end JAN) but I feel the work is important and pushes me to keep going. I can't imagine just checking the blocks doing the minimum but then I think about others that do that make the same amount and have lots more life time. I guess I'd say about 79% tied to who I am. I'm sure others would say 90% or more.

Some professions seem to be more a part of who someone is. Police officer is one of those. Most of those I know, never really seem to be completly “off work”.

My sil used to be an officer but has a new profession. His mom still refers to him as a cop. He just rolls his eyes.

As for me? While I am at work, it’s who I am. When I leave at 4, I am just me again. It’s not my whole life.

I saw what that did to two coworkers.

One started at the college at maybe 19 or 20. Had just gotten a 2 year degree at the same college. Worked for the same VP for almost 30 years. (He was there 45). When he retired, she was devastated. She could not get used to another VP even though she knew her well and they were friends. She couldn’t deal with anyone changing things. She was used to a certain amount of control on campus. She stayed less than a year and then retired. She is pretty young, never married and no children. She still texts me to find out how things are going.

The other was there 25 years. She came as a secretary with no degree and worked and went to school and finally got her PhD. (Breaks between the degrees). With each degree she got a promotion of sorts (title only) and a raise except the last one. Same VP retiring threw her for a loop. He depended on her for a lot and the new one didn’t. The new VP tried to spread the work around so that so much wasn’t on one person. She didn’t want to give up the work and just stayed angry and resentful. Then the President retired. The new President has really made some good changes but none of them included another promotion for her degree. She retired. And now she works part time in something totally unrelated and feels like she wasted time and money on the education.

Neither of these ladies had a life outside of the job. Now both of them are very resentful to the college.

Not much of mine is, I believe in what I do but I refuse to allow work to consume any more of me than it has to. I also know I can't stay where I am much longer so I'm on the lookout. If anyone knows what sort of jobs are up and coming in Florida these days let me know! :rolleyes:

Not much of mine is, I believe in what I do but I refuse to allow work to consume any more of me than it has to. I also know I can't stay where I am much longer so I'm on the lookout. If anyone knows what sort of jobs are up and coming in Florida these days let me know! :rolleyes:
Plumbing, electrical and HVAC. It can be tough work though and most younger people have never worked with a tools.

You know, I'm not sure. On the one hand, I've changed occupations several times - from banker to SAHM to bookseller to teacher, so I would say my identity is not wrapped up in my job. But on the other hand, I may have found the one that is, because I find I don't "leave work at the office" like I did in banking. I'm always pinning things / making things / reading things related to education.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!