How much of your identity is wrapped up

None whatsoever. People know where I work and will ask for help with a discount. But that’s few and far between. It does not Define me. If i left tomorrow, someone would replace me.

When I did work, my job was 24/7 and I did not like that. Work needs to be a healthy balance and I was glad to be gone. I really enjoyed my job but not to be married to it . If no one was around I would have to be available no matter what. I remember one time my boss was in Hawaii, her boss called her , I mean seriously what was she going to do hop a plane and come back. Some of us were standing to fill in for her and it was not that big a deal and was taken care of. Companies they want you to be married. Nope not happening here.

An enormous amount! I'm a teacher. I think about my students quite a bit. I spend time on the evenings and weekends researching ways to help them learn, or ways for me to change up my lessons. I look on Pinterest for new anchor chart ideas, or games to make learning more fun.

If I see one of my students out, no matter how big they've gotten, I am thrilled to see them. Once they are one of my "kids," they are always one of my kids.

What I do is too esoteric to be part of my identity. No one would identify with me, and hell, I've had husbands who don't understand what I do. My closest friends would say I do money laundering - like I'm laundering money. It's funny. I also consult for myself so when I'm on, I'm on, and when I'm not, I'm just Amber. I do a bit of expert testimony/opinion based work which is, of course, very isolated, so really, it's something I do, and find interesting, and that's where it ends.

Too much. More than I ever thought was possible for me, actually, and I'm not quite sure how I feel about it. I'm lucky to be working in my field but the hours and the workload are pretty brutal, and I find myself appallingly reluctant to seek out other options that would give me a better work-life balance (something I always thought I cared more about than any job!) and/or better pay.

Before I became a SAHM I was a college librarian. My original plan was to become a religion professor but I learned that librarianship was a better fit for me. I loved everything about it except for my last boss. She was awful. We have a special needs kid so I'm grateful that we can afford for me to be a SAHM but I miss being a librarian every day.

at work - 100%

Everywhere else, 0%. Nobody - including me - gives a hoot about what I do for a living. Heck, I can barely coherently explain what I do, anyway, since my title doesn't match my job description very well. Most people just nod and smile, and then we end the conversation. :rotfl2:

ETA: DH's job is even more mysterious...he's like Chandler on Friends. Nobody understands what DH does!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter